“Sunday Carvery”

The Smugglers Inn
Ranked #171 of 231 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Sunday Carvery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our first visit to their Sunday Carvery lunch. It was excellent. There was a good choice of well-cooked meats and a large selection of vegetables, all very tasty. The boozy pavlova was delicious. This was our first visit but won't be our last!

• Visited November 2013

Perth, Australia
“Like being in a time warp !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Tried the Sunday lunch as is quite close too where we live. The Lunch was ok lots of fresh vegetables but the meat wasn't great. We have never been to such a drab, dated, tatty and grim place for lunch- ever! The interior must have been last decorated in the mid 1980's at best, old curtains, old mis matched furniture, exposed wires left dangling from ceiling, car batteries being charged on the floor, plies of curtains in the dining room, salt cellars so corroded and dirty- unbelievable, needs to be seen to believed. When we walked in there was no greeting or any explanation on how the buffet worked. Although the carvery was reasonable the soft drinks were expensive. We usually go to the Griffin Inn in Newquay which is always excellent, I suggest the owners have a trip there to see how it should be done.There is absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever.
Will never return, or recommend

John H, Owner at The Smugglers Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hi Ozzy,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, I was, to say the very least, surprised at the vociferousness of it, I am at a loss to understand what we have done to upset you so much. It would have been nice if you could have talked to us at the time of your visit to allow us to address some of the issues you feel you had. In response to your points I will try to answer them.

I am sorry that you were not happy with our meat, I am pleased to say that in the few months that we have been running the business after it was shut for 18 months that this is the first complaint we have recieved about it.

The inside of the hotel was indeed drab, dated and grim, it is probably the 60's or 70's since it was last decorated and was in a parlous state when we took it over 14 months ago but if you were to visit now you would see a 100% improvement. We were in the throes of redecorating when you came in for lunch which is why there were three pairs of curtains stored out of the way in the corner of the dining room as we had taken them down the day before from the dining room windows.
Yes, they were old curtains, probably 30 years old or more, but today the whole lower floor has been recurtained and is looking stunning.
The furniture is far from mis matched. The upper dining room has one style of furnitiure and the lower dining room has another, this is perfectly acceptable as they are two different areas. I had removed a light fitting in one corner of the dining room that was mismatched and well away from customers, It was not live and was not bare so no problem there.
The batteries that were well out of the way in another room in the hotel (not the dining room), behind a table and not a problem were not car batteries and they belonged to staying guests who were doing an ariel survey of Cornwall, they needed somewhere to charge their batteries on a daily basis to run some highly technical equipment, so we allowed them to do so there.
I apologise that you found you had a salt cellar that was a little discoloured, we went through all the cellars and have found none that match your description, it is a shame you weren't able to bring it to our attention at the time and we would have remedied the situation immediately for you.
I don't know why you werent greeted as I am always there and you had to speak to me or the barmaid to find out which table you were sitting at and you must have been given tickets for the Carvery then.
We have indeed been to the Griffin and we found it quite ok. But I wouldn't want to run our warm, friendly and welcoming B&B/Inn in quite the same way.
I am at loss when you mention 'No Atmosphere', The place is steeped in it, if you happen to come when it is quiet then there wont be as much as when it is busy, but fortunately it is busy now every sunday.
I am sorry that you feel you 'Will never return or recommend' as I feel you are missing out and ought to come and see what a difference there is to the place and the work we are doing to bring it into the 21st century, then perhaps you would leave another review here., but nonetheless thank you for taking the time to leave a review anyway.
banbury
“sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

didnt book,but got there at midday for sunday carvery.we werent disapointed,the cleaners at the bluebay lodge mawgan porth had tipped us off about it.three meats to choose from,loads of veg choice.boozy pavlova pudd was to die for smothered in clotted cream.yum.

Visited July 2013