“Good dining, excellent seafood....... Staff could do with a few weeks' finishing school”

The Breaks Tolcarne Beach Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #34 of 233 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, European, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ireland
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Breaks Tolcarne is certainly one of the best restaurants in Newquay situated literally within a few metres from the water's edge. The food was good. It's speciality is obviously fish. My uncle went for a traditional fish & chips which he enjoyed immensely, while I had a sumptuous plate of Cornish crab and shellfish linguine with garlic, lemon and parsley cream sauce.

Certainly a restaurant to visit in Newquay. Just one little point which I found slightly irritating.

The staff need some training when it comes to addressing and dealing with customers. I'm middle aged and my uncle is in his 78th year. Our young blond-haired waitress kept on calling us 'guys' and saying everything was 'cool'. Surely her secondary education would have taught her to converse with her dining guests in a slightly more sophisticated and charming manner ? If management can spend a couple of hours training their staff, then the restaurant will be a little gem. This slight problem can be easily fixed, because the food, on the whole, is simply excellent.....

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely amazing food, staff and ambiance!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

While we were in Newquay for four days we had a meal in he breaks every day! From the first meal on Saturday lunch time to last on Tuesday night was absolutely amazing! Great ingredients combing to make great flavours. From the fish and chips to the BBQ lamb skewers and a succulent sirloin steak for lunch! Not a fault with anything! And they even cater for kids, putting up with six of ours! If visiting Newquay don't walk past the best restaurant in town!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and lovely view!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked a table earlier in the week for my family (9 of us in total including a 3 year old and a 4 month old baby).

5 out of the party had already visited earlier in the week and highly recommended it.

When we arrived, our table was ready and waiting together with the highchair which I had requested at the time of booking.

I was surprised to find that there was plenty of space left for our pram to sit at the end of the table and more importantly, out of the way of the area where the waiters/waitresses were.

I'm not sure if this was intentional but either way, it made a nice change from the very pram unfriendly restaurants we have been to recently!

We were left a reasonable amount of time to settle in before menus were brought across to us and again, a very reasonable amount of time was given for us to all make our decisions.

A couple of us ordered starters, which were delicious and the 3 year olds meal was brought out with the starters, as requested.

Everyone's mains shortly followed and were presented very well.

Unfortunately, the waitress had mistaken one of the steaks for medium which meant one of our party was actually given another persons steak. However, this was very quickly rectified by the waiter.

During the wait between our starters and main, my son had become a little overtired so my partner had to go outside with him to help him go to sleep.

We asked if his meal could be put under the hot plate whilst he was settled and the waiter was more than happy to help.

When my partner returned, the waiter said they would do him a fresh meal - free of charge! This was fabulous and very, very much appreciated as its very rare lately that both of us can enjoy a hot meal!

The food was lovely and tasted so fresh. The waiter was very accommodating but most importantly for me, he was mindful of my son when placing items on the table (its amazing how many people reach across a pram with plates/drinks!).

One thing to watch out for is that there are no baby changing facilities which, is far from ideal considering where you are but luckily, as it was a nice evening we were able to take him outside!

Please pass on my thanks again to the brilliant waiter for making dining with a 4 month old that bit easier!!

“Amazing!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We visited The Breaks whilst on holiday. The service and food was excellent. 5 of us ate there and all of us thoroughly enjoyed it. We've rebooked to come later in the week with the rest of our friends and family and can't wait!!! The staff were friendly and attentive. Thank you for a lovely evening.

Visited August 2013
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Ok, not great.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Reasonable prices, some staff rude some staff more than helpful. Food wasn't great and no cornish beverages available. Generally not bad, wouldnt be fussed about re-visiting.

Visited August 2013