“Really need to up their game”

Quintrell Inn & Carvery
Ranked #138 of 233 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to the Official Trip Advisor page of the newly managed and refurbished Quintrell Inn! The Quintrell Inn is a family run public house and restaurant, with excellent facilities for families and children. The main attraction for the younger element is the well equipped ball pool and indoor play area. During the summer months there is a large garden with wooden benches and an outdoor play area which is ideal for a relaxed meal whilst the children play happily. The Quintrell Inn caters for all tastes as the menu covers a wide variety of dishes and homemade specials including a range of healthy options. All food is cooked to order and we pride ourselves on using local produce. We also offer gluten free options for all our meals including our carvery - a hard to find trait in the restaurant world. Our carvery is open every day offering a choice of 2 meats Monday to Saturday and 3 meats on Sundays. Children can enjoy our meal deal options for £5.50 Including a drink, main course AND dessert from our childrens menu - good value for good food! It is advisable whenever possible to book early to avoid disappointment. Live entertainment features regularly throughout the year with artists visiting from around the country. For those special occasions there is a large restaurant catering for weddings, funerals, christenings and parties. Relax in our lounge area with leather sofas, TV and open fire. Take part in the popular games of pool or darts, The Quintrell Inn has also recently acquired a darts and pool team who compete across the local area. The Quintrell Inn enjoys a friendly community spirit, and welcomes all, young or old. Our doors are open and we will look forward to your custom.
St Columb Major, United Kingdom
“Really need to up their game”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

A group of around 12 met up for a pre theatre meal (Lane theatre). We were in a bit of a hurry and to be fair, they produced our food in time but the food was very disappointing. I asked for a 12 oz rump steak and was asked how I'd like it cooked and rather optimistically I asked for 'medium rare' but somehow I just knew in advance that it was lost cause and of course as expected it arrived over cooked, tasteless and tough ! Look, it's not hard to get decent 'local' beef, in fact, there's a farm producing their own beef no further that 2 miles away. Friends adjacent to me also expressed their disappointment with their food but I can't speak for the others. I understand there's new management in place and I would have thought this would have been an ideal opportunity to revamp the dreary old fashioned menu. Little things also annoyed me, like I wasn't offered a steak knife nor mustard etc. I asked for some and it was supplied politely but it's all in the detail !!!
I know we arrived quite early, so I can't tell what it's like at 8ish but at 6.30 it just felt soulless and unloved.
It's tough for the pub industry right now but the Quintrell inn is in a prime spot will generous parking, so why don't the management sit down and think hard as to how they can up their game to become a pub that people say "have you been to the "quint" recently, it's under new management and the foods great and perfect for families with kids" etc etc.....sadly this isn't the case !

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Tom_the_Wine

“Change for the better.”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Live locally heard we had new owners at the Quintrell so decided to try it out as not been in for a while well what can I say what a difference the guys and very attractive barmaid welcomed us with happy smiling faces and a cheery hello, we asked if the indoor kids ball pit play area was open for the little ones and were told yes open all day everyday again what a difference from before, while the kids played we checked out the menu which looks very inviting and reasonably priced, but we plumped for the carvery ( which was delicious fresh veg potatoes choice of meats which you can all choices and HOT) fabulous. If this is the start of things to come think we will become very regular regulars! ! Well done to all best of luck.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank yorkieboy101
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Scampi-the most exciting thing on the menu!!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This place sums up with what is wrong with hospitality.

The pub is huge and empty as is the car park Decent range of ales but only Strongbow cider. The menu was inspired 40 years ago by a pimply youth with very limited eating habits. When we asked for a minor change to my partner's menu choice (can I have no chips but more salad?) the answer was "No".

They even overcooked my Scampi.

I feel sorry for the people of Newquay for having this as the only child friendly pub. I would move.

2 Thank Lookslikerain
Bude, United Kingdom
“Looking a bit tired.”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

You can choose between the Quint or the Premier Inn across the roundabout, and for all it's faults I'd rather eat in the Quint. The pub is clearly old, with low beams, and warning notices everywhere, but this is no excuse for the cobweb across the emergency door! The beer was good - Doom Bar - and the food was good too, even though it took an age to prepare and serve a salad! The toilets were clean, and the staff friendly. Yes I would visit again.

Newquay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The only real pub in the Village ???”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is the only pub in the village that is child friendly, with ample parking for multiple coaches, and many cars.! A pub with a real sense of family values and with a view to entertain small families to doing major events in her function rooms.
A nice friendly local atmosphere with no bias to newcomers, none of that local clique-senario like others, a real jewel in a very small place, but yet again, come here and find a real friendly welcome !!!
Don't just take my word for it, ask in the village, they may mention the other one, but that hasn't the amenities of this one, check it out, you won't be disappointed!!!