“The most professional, extensive menu in Newquay.”

The Dolphin Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 240 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We purchase food locally and cook fresh in our kitchens each day. We have a popular Sunday Roast each Sunday, as it is freshly cooked roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower cheese, green vegetables and melt in the mouth meat, plus vegetarian and vegan options, it's usually very busy. We also offer a takeaway Sunday roast, call and collect. Friday night is Burger Night where we serve the Dolphin Gourmet Burgers, that too has become extremely popular, the menus are on our website and we offer online booking. The restaurant itself is a 75 seater restaurant with a nice friendly bar and lots of sofas dotted around the bar. It's been under new ownership since November 2016 and has been receiving rave reviews and sometimes sold out on Sundays with over 160 meals served. The Dolphin is the oldest trading restaurant in the beautiful Cornish town of Newquay and is a traditional yet vibrant venue, with friendly staff and a strong focus on sustainable and ethical practice. All produce is fresh and is locally and responsibly sourced, allowing for an exciting and dynamic food menu that appeals to people of all tastes. The lounge bar provides a relaxing area to enjoy well maintained draught lagers, ales and ciders, a carefully chosen range of wines and spirits. Serving from our Main Menu items such as Tapas, Seafood and Grill as well as our hugely popular Sunday Roasts, where we offer a takeaway roast on Sunday (from 26 November 2016) to meet the overbooked demand. The Dolphin is situated near to the Harbour in the centre of the town, just a minute from the beach and is surrounded by absolutely gorgeous beaches famous for their golden sands and world-class surf conditions on the North Cornwall coast. Adjacent to the restaurant is a pay and display car park whilst street parking is also available within a few minutes walk. Sainsburys also operate a time limited (1.5 hours at the time of writing) car parking facility, it is an automated time register driving in and driving out so allow a few extra minutes to get back to your car and exit their car park.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“The most professional, extensive menu in Newquay.”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Dolphin has by far, the most extensive menu available in Newquay. Full of fresh, innovative ideas and locally sourced produce, their menu never fails to impress. Their humongous portions are all beautifully presented with incredible sauces and flavours. We would have been willing to pay a lot more than we did for our meals. I've been here a few times now and taken along family and friends including elder relatives, and there is always something for every pallet. The ambience is relaxed and cosy, and completely fools you into forgetting the cold, or the noisy town outside! You could easily while away a whole evening here, tasting all the fantastic cocktails invented again with local spirits and home made touches by Bex the super friendly bar owner. Their Monday evening "jam session" where the locals bring along instruments and have a great, relaxed music session where you can join in if you wish, or just kick back and enjoy the atmosphere. Their Friday "all you can eat ribs and wings" special is awesome! although we've never managed to eat them all!
An absolute must try if you're heading out for a meal with the family, a group of friends or just want a romantic cosy corner with a date with food and drinks to impress. but make sure you take someone with you, because you'll never finish all that food alone, and even if you did, you'd need carrying down the stairs after!! :)

Bishop Auckland, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Dined there Friday evening and the menu choice was excellent and all cooked to perfection. Sunday lunch was an experience and they are not lying when they say the lunch is MASSiVE!! Excellent choice of veg and not a sign of microwaved food! Excellent staff made us feel like family - highly recommend it !

Taunton, United Kingdom
“A good choice”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My partner and I chose the Dolphin restaurant based on the delicious sounding menu and we were not disappointed. We were on a long weekend in Cornwall and stopped in Newquay on a Sunday night specifically to try out the Dolphin. I made a bit of an error on the booking form (I put the year as 1969 rather than 2013) and this meant that the Dolphin did not have our booking for the Sunday night. Luckily we phoned ahead.

The friendly staff apologised for the error (even though it was my fault) and said that they closed a bit earlier on Sunday and only had a reduced menu but could we come along and see if we liked it. The menu was still substantial and all of it was delicious sounding. I could not tell that this was a reduced menu.

I had whitebait to start and crispy topped belly pork for main. I could not manage a pudding which is unusual as I am a greedy man. The portions are very generous but still retain a sense of elegance. The menu is very fresh and wholesome and very reasonably priced, we would have paid much more.

Our more expensive meal the previous night had been excellent but very “Mastercheffy” with much smaller dishes, which meant that we left the restaurant as two very happy and very full Dolphin fans.

Thank you to the chef and the staff.

• Visited October 2013
Newquay, United Kingdom
“No sign of Aunt Bessies here...... Excellent!!!!!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is not the first Sunday lunch my wife & I have had here and won't be the last! For starters, the service is second to none. I had a FANTASTIC bacon laced fiery Bloody Mary, while my wife had a lovely glass of red (they do have a very good wine list as well as cocktail list)

I ordered the pork while my wife ordered the herring. Both were perfectly cooked & presented. There were plenty of very fresh vegetables and the Yorkshire puddings were huge and delicious.

Definitely worth the 45min drive. Thanks guys, see you soon!

London
“An awesome meal!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I was completely surprised to find a spacious, convivial pub up a narrow little staircase off the Main Street in Newquay. I was even more blown away by the quality of the food - it was truly excellent, accompanied by friendly service and a cosy atmosphere. Best meal I've had in Cornwall - I highly recommend it!