“forth visit”
Review of Barrowfield Hotel

Barrowfield Hotel
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is our forth time at this hotel second time this year you always have a warm welcome from the manager whos name is richard what a nice guy always friendly and helpfull.
We always have a nice room very clean and comfortable the food is good and plentifull,there is a lovely swimming pool,it is a daishs hotel but we do self drive will say thanks again for a nice stay will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Patricia P

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our first time travelling with Daish.
The journey from Suffolk was very long the breaks too short.
The hotel was very clean and had recently been refurbished, our beds were a disaster (springs sticking into you)., But after complaining the staff put an extra padding on the mattress so they weren't too bad.
The hotel really needs air conditioning, we were lucky with the weather it was beautiful, but made the hotel, especially the restaurant and bedroom unbearable hot.
The food was adequate, but choices limited especially the breakfasts.
We were mislead by the wine waiter on the cost of the bottles of wine we were told that we could have a ''couple of bottles for £9.25'' this turned out to be the price per bottle, rather overpriced for a very mediocre wine.
On conclusion, the majority of the staff were very pleasant there was one exception who seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ledidorset
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Daish's have got to be admired for their organisation, quality of staff and enthusiasm. Our bus trip from Nottingham to Newquay was a long one, but there were plenty of breaks and the driver resisted the usual non stop banter, just enough information, friendly and humorous.

As mentioned scaffolding was in place, but was being removed as work on the roof was complete. Our room (212) was large, clean, modern TV, all the bits you would normally expect. OK, those guys from four in a bed might have found fault, but we were happy.
Breakfast is as mentioned on other comments, (the sausage will never win an award). But you can have kippers, porridge, a range of cereals, fruit, yogurts, toast galore. If you want poached eggs, a boiled egg, they will do it for you.
Waiters are friendly, accommodating and quick. Its all done very smoothly, so a three course meal is done in twenty minutes. You choose at breakfast what you want for dinner. Not perfect, but it works.
Meals are OK, not al-a-cart, not huge portions, but enough. My only two moans were bones in the fish and boiled potato's with the skin on. A pain was the appearance of the manager at every meal to announce something or other in the most cringe worthy, patronising manner, (but to be fair, he was a hard working chap). Entertainment was good, John Smiths £3, wine £9 to £12 a bottle. Very good bar staff, although the bar closes at 11pm, which is odd for an hotel.
You either love or hate bingo, there was only a couple of games, split early and late, done by whomever is on the bill that night. Plenty of seats and tables outside the stage/ dance floor area if you don't like being entertained.
The pool is really warm and often empty. A little bar is open at lunch time, it serves food at very reasonable prices.
We went on the Falmouth trip, the cruise up the river is well worth the extra £7, The cider farm was not an hard sell and quite pleasant.
So if you are 45 to 85 and not a fusspot you will be at home here.

Room Tip: Its an oldish building and the floors creak and some people seem to need to get up early and some li...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Dimps_10
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We visited this hotel on 15/5/23 and we were nearly put off by the hotel covered in scaffolding.
However we found the hotel to be clean and all staff very friendly although waitresses and waiter
could do with a little more training. We also had to be kept waiting while it seemed preferential
treatment were given to a couple on our next table who we were told were regulars even though
we were seated sometime before they arrived for meals. Full marks to the Manager however who
was very obliging. In spite of the above a nice hotel and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We would recommend not having rooms anywhere near the lift. Also to choose top floor rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We visited this hotel on one of Daish's all inclusive coach tours
Good points were :- Clean rooms , good location , nice swimming pool , friendly &hardworking cleaners and waitresses/ waiters
Not so good points :- hotel covered in scaffolding which we weren't told about , roofers start banging at 8am . Unable to open windows in rooms - no ventilation particularly in bathrooms ,
Food was ok if you are used to eating 'meals on wheels ' type of food . no variety , Full English Breakfast consisted of - 1 egg,1 sausage , 1 slice of bacon , 1/4 slice of fried bread , 1 dessertspoon of beans or alternate days 1 plum tomato.
If you wanted a hot drink with your Evening meal you have to leave the room and go to the lounge where you will find it in flasks to help yourself .
1 communal changing/ shower room that was filthy in swimming pool area .
No care given to the needs of the infirm ( one of our party was a blind lady , unsteady on her feet ) she was given a 3rd floor room , and told to leave her wheel chair in reception .
The night time security left a lot to the imagination - we had men outside on the scaffolding (on the 3 rd floor ) at 3 am !!! And was told when I called ' your joking '
Whilst we didn't expect the Ritz for £223 each ( 5 nights ) what we did expect was a lot better than what we got.

This is my honest view of this Hotel and what we experienced . Choose carefully and enjoy your holiday .

Room Tip: Choose a refurbished room if any !!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nevermissatrip
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have enjoyed a short break at this hotel. Our twin room and shower had been recently decorated and was all kept spic and span by the house keeper Laura (sweetie) who did a great job.
Most of the staff are friendly and helpful, but one or two although efficient need some people skills training.
The breakfasts are great with a good choice, the evening meals need a little more imagination as they are simple foods, but well presented.
The pool is fantasticly warm and a great facility, with soft white towels provided for use.
A good position for visiting the friendly cornwall area, with buses and a town train close by.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IWgirl
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I visited Barrowfields hotel Good Friday week as it was my birthday and I thought why not. Worst mistake,
The hotel was being refurbished and there were 3 coaches of guests. My room was a single and was the size of a shoebox in which you couldn't swing the proverbial cat!!
The meals were pretty good with some choice. Waitress was very good considering the number of guests she had to serve. A few disappointments in meals though.
Entertainment was quite poor...bingo and mediocre singers etc. I either sat in the lounge/reception watching the huge tv there or in my room. Due to the icy weather I didn't venture out of the hotel at night.
Swimming pool was pretty good except for the jacuzzi not working very often and the skylights were cracked/shattered.
We saw the manager the first day we arrived but he vanished the rest of the week except to deal with complaints.
I went out each day to explore the area. Eden Project was brilliant and the bus stopped otside the hotel. The zoo was small but really good and only 15 minutes slow walk away. The town itself was pretty run down.
Everything went okay till the night before I left to go home. I was feeling nauseous all night and had no sleep. Or breakfast the next day. Even the sight and smell of it made me sick. On the way out to the coach home I passed an elderly woman being violently sick in the reception. Heard one coach driver complaining that she was on his coach!! No sympathy for her or from the staff.
I got home quite quickly still feeing nauseous. Over the next 6 days I had violent projectile vomiting and could not eat and could only keep sips of water down. I managed to see a doctor who diagnosed Norovirus. He asked if I had been away and confirmed that I had caught it while on holiday. The following week I had bad diarrheoa for 3 days.
I contacted Daish's head office who then sent a message for the manager to contact me. That was 3 weeks ago.....nothing from him.
So I will never be going to on of their hotels again. I will leave all the readers to make up their own mind once they have read my review.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors than ground ones and upgrade if you can
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo