“Not what we had hoped”

Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Not what we had hoped”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We visited this hotel on one of Daish's all inclusive coach tours
Good points were :- Clean rooms , good location , nice swimming pool , friendly &hardworking cleaners and waitresses/ waiters
Not so good points :- hotel covered in scaffolding which we weren't told about , roofers start banging at 8am . Unable to open windows in rooms - no ventilation particularly in bathrooms ,
Food was ok if you are used to eating 'meals on wheels ' type of food . no variety , Full English Breakfast consisted of - 1 egg,1 sausage , 1 slice of bacon , 1/4 slice of fried bread , 1 dessertspoon of beans or alternate days 1 plum tomato.
If you wanted a hot drink with your Evening meal you have to leave the room and go to the lounge where you will find it in flasks to help yourself .
1 communal changing/ shower room that was filthy in swimming pool area .
No care given to the needs of the infirm ( one of our party was a blind lady , unsteady on her feet ) she was given a 3rd floor room , and told to leave her wheel chair in reception .
The night time security left a lot to the imagination - we had men outside on the scaffolding (on the 3 rd floor ) at 3 am !!! And was told when I called ' your joking '
Whilst we didn't expect the Ritz for £223 each ( 5 nights ) what we did expect was a lot better than what we got.

This is my honest view of this Hotel and what we experienced . Choose carefully and enjoy your holiday .

Room Tip: Choose a refurbished room if any !!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nevermissatrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have enjoyed a short break at this hotel. Our twin room and shower had been recently decorated and was all kept spic and span by the house keeper Laura (sweetie) who did a great job.
Most of the staff are friendly and helpful, but one or two although efficient need some people skills training.
The breakfasts are great with a good choice, the evening meals need a little more imagination as they are simple foods, but well presented.
The pool is fantasticly warm and a great facility, with soft white towels provided for use.
A good position for visiting the friendly cornwall area, with buses and a town train close by.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IWgirl
halesowen
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I visited Barrowfields hotel Good Friday week as it was my birthday and I thought why not. Worst mistake,
The hotel was being refurbished and there were 3 coaches of guests. My room was a single and was the size of a shoebox in which you couldn't swing the proverbial cat!!
The meals were pretty good with some choice. Waitress was very good considering the number of guests she had to serve. A few disappointments in meals though.
Entertainment was quite poor...bingo and mediocre singers etc. I either sat in the lounge/reception watching the huge tv there or in my room. Due to the icy weather I didn't venture out of the hotel at night.
Swimming pool was pretty good except for the jacuzzi not working very often and the skylights were cracked/shattered.
We saw the manager the first day we arrived but he vanished the rest of the week except to deal with complaints.
I went out each day to explore the area. Eden Project was brilliant and the bus stopped otside the hotel. The zoo was small but really good and only 15 minutes slow walk away. The town itself was pretty run down.
Everything went okay till the night before I left to go home. I was feeling nauseous all night and had no sleep. Or breakfast the next day. Even the sight and smell of it made me sick. On the way out to the coach home I passed an elderly woman being violently sick in the reception. Heard one coach driver complaining that she was on his coach!! No sympathy for her or from the staff.
I got home quite quickly still feeing nauseous. Over the next 6 days I had violent projectile vomiting and could not eat and could only keep sips of water down. I managed to see a doctor who diagnosed Norovirus. He asked if I had been away and confirmed that I had caught it while on holiday. The following week I had bad diarrheoa for 3 days.
I contacted Daish's head office who then sent a message for the manager to contact me. That was 3 weeks ago.....nothing from him.
So I will never be going to on of their hotels again. I will leave all the readers to make up their own mind once they have read my review.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors than ground ones and upgrade if you can
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank gillyHalesowen
Tenterden, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

How can one beat Daish's hotels/travel for value? This hotel is in an excellent position not far from the cliff top to the beach and not too near the town but within easy walking distance. A friendly and welcoming hotel creating a good atmosphere for our group and not one complaint - can't be bad! The food is very reasonable, a full english breakfast is always something to look forward to whilst on holiday. Excellent evening entertainment every night, bar costs very affordable and a good dance floor. Some relaxed in the pool, some visited the hairdresser & beauty salon, whilst others went on interesting excussions. All staff are friendly, efficient and helpful, the only thing our group was surprised and pleased about was the price - thank you Diash's once again.

Room Tip: Stayed on the first floor facing the road, had window open but still quite. Unfortunately work is b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sussex
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Since my review in 2011 the hotel has obviously done a lot to quieten a noisy central heating system and to remedy the squeaky floors. I know because I was assigned exactly the same room as my previous visit. Still overly warm, but this was not a bad thing given the March chilly weather. Had a great time, swimming in the pool every day before breakfast. We were well fed and entertained. Trips arranged by the hotel, or buses to many destinations available outside the hotel or at the end of the road. Staff helpful. All in all terrific value for money

Room Tip: I'm told that the single rooms on the ground floor are very small. You could do better to pay a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank jazzcatjan
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have just returned from a 5 day break , with Daish's coaches , at this hotel.and what a lovely break it was. The coach driver was very friendly and professsional, and I had a pleasant journey from suffolk. The hotel was very welcoming, had a spacious room overlooking the sea, and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The breakfast and dinner could not be faulted, with plenty of choice. My husband and I will definately go with this company again, it is such great value for money..

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Maz1952
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

just been here early march.room excellent 307.Staff first class.Food excellent.Was a bit dubious when booking,self drive,but no need to have worried.Entertaiment average but new acts coming in when we left.Highly recomended. posted by mr and mrs Winder from C ardiff

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple