“Tired and in need of new decor, but what do you expect at the price?”
Review of Narrowcliff Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Narrowcliff Hotel
Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel is budget, but you pay for what you get. Pay peanuts get sunpat. I found no fault here for the price, yes it's tired but the staff are brilliant. The receptionist/manager was so helpful so full marks there. The breakfast was scrummy and hot, so can't complain, and the bedding and towels were clean. If you want more for your money you won't find it here, pay more and stay elsewhere. I for sure was not expecting anything less. Will I return, no not any day soon but yes when redecorated and don't let that stop you booking here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have excellent sea view
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I read the reviews before i went, and thought cant be that bad, well what can i say, went on a coach trip with national holidays as a single person, for me the hotel wasnt the best, well shabby and needs updating,wouldnt stay there if i had children, but was ok for me, breakfast was ok got better as the week went by, big up to the lovely lad who served in the dinning room Alex, and the lovely night porter come barman steve, they did a fantastic job. was a bit like faulty towers but you had to laugh, lots of complaints, manager was very witty, and had a very laid back attitude, if it wasnt for the people that i shared the coach trip with, i dont think i would have enjoyed myself so much. so if anyone does decide to book this hotel dont expect the ritz.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2014

stayed the 5/6 aug.went up to my room no bigger than a shoe box,went to take a shower closed shower curtain only to find a disposable razor behind it left by a previous guest behind it,when the entertainment started you could swear they were singing in the room no soundproofing at all,the cooked breakfast in morning served on a side plate.would not recommend it at all.0/10

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2014

we stayed for 2 nights and booked mainly due to the hotel's location but also the bargain price offered. The hotel is basically shabby. It appears that no refurbishment or decoration has taken place for years. Our room was small but adequate for 2 people on a short stay, but the ensuite bathroom was awful - the sliding door had no bottom track and was actually too small for the opening; the shelf over the sink was missing and had been for some time judging by the rusty screws protruding from the wall. Cleaning was ok & towels were changed etc, and breakfast was basic but edible. At the price we paid we didn't expect 5 -star accommodation, but this hotel needs some serious money spent on it to attract anyone for a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I booked this hotel as a budget option at the start of our mini honeymoon after our wedding.

I wasn't expecting much - a travelodge with a view was all I wanted.

What we got was horrendous, firstly a box room, a box, no bigger than an expansive cupboard. It was like walking into the 1970s with the decor, too.

That I could live with, but what I couldn't get my head around was the dirt.

The room, clearly hadn't been cleaned, sweet wrappers, bits of plastic on the floor and a filthy carpet. I complained - we were moved.

The second room was cleaner. Still very very dusty, and the whole place looked and felt like it needed a lot of work. The walls were thin - so thin that we could hear people whispering. Doors slammed, floors creaked - sleep was impossible.

Breakfast was included - bonus, breakfast was poor.

People running round not really knowing what was going on, things ran out, food left out on the buffet table looked - interesting.

The fry up was basic. One Sausage, on bacon, half a fried bread and a tomato. Egg and some beans. They didn't have anything else (hashbrowns, mushrooms for example)

One customer complained there was nothing gluten free despite telling them when he booked. They were even reluctant to refill the condiments - one staff member telling another not to refill a salt pot, just change it with another table.

I don't think the staff know just how bad their hotel is. Basic cleanliness is all most people want in a budget hotel. This didnt even offer that.

I made my mistake by not checking sites like this and paid the price... don't let it happen to you.

Room Tip: Wifi didnt work.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ben b
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Situated ideally at the quiet north end of Newquay and directly above Tolcarne Beath with front car parking for about 10 cars and another 5 behind. Staff were very nice and friendly but the building itself is dated and needing complete refurbishment. On arrival I asked the time for dinner and was told I couldn't eat there if I hadn't chosen my meal the day before! Also after that weekend they would only be offering breakfast. On this basis, surely this hotel is a b@b, not a hotel, not necessarily suitable for a family or elderly because independent restaurants were a walk away.I was there for 6 days and the last 3 days the lift was out of order and still not repaired when I left. I spent my time chilling out on the beach and reading which is what I had planned to do but would say that in its present state this hotel maybe more suited to surfers and the like - apparently there are other hotels of a higher standard yet similar price more central to Newquay.

Room Tip: Front rooms would have beautiful vista over the beach. Back rooms in danger of looking at the public...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in this simple basic hotel, no frills, nice room, good shower, all fine during my stay, excellent cooked breakfast. The location is great too, all in all great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo