“Very Disappionted On The Whole Non-Experience!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Blue Reef Aquarium
Ranked #17 of 57 things to do in Newquay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From the local Cornish coast to the dazzling beauty of the Tropical Reef, Newquay Blue Reef aquarium has an exciting world of underwater adventure waiting to be discovered. More than 40 innovative displays vividly bring to life the sights, sounds and smells of the sea, whilst regular feeding displays, rock-pool workshops and informative talks provide a fun and fascinating day out. Visitors can enjoy the closest of undersea encounters with amazing aquatic life including seahorses, giant octopus, pulsating Jellyfish and fierce Piranha. At the aquariums heart is a spectacular coral reef display housed within a 250,000 litre ocean tank - home to exotic tropical species like black tip reef sharks and Omiros the rescued loggerhead turtle. As well as hundreds of brightly-coloured reef fish and a huge Southern Stingray. Enjoy the sheer beauty of the display by taking a journey through its very own underwater tunnel, as well as through a number of viewing portholes, a floor to ceiling window and even enjoy close encounters from the surface - where Omiros often likes to pop up to say hello! Situated on Towan Promenade in the heart of Newquay, Blue Reef Aquarium not only offers a beach on its doorstep but also an amazing experience, whatever the weather!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Chippenham, England, United Kingdom
“Very Disappionted On The Whole Non-Experience!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Well, where exactly do i start....
We arrived on a lovely wet day in cornwall, my two young boys looking forward to seeing the fishies because of the leaflet we had picked up around and about at other attractions in the vicinity. On the leaflet it states "The Ultimate Undersea Family DAY Out", quite frankly this is the worst case of mis-selling i have ever experienced. We decided to have a bit of lunch when we arrived, in anticipation of the attraction itself. We had two sausage rolls and drink cartons for the kids, a ham salad wrap and bottle of 7-Up for the wife and a tuna mayo baguette and coffee for myself which set us back a mouth-watering £24.00!! When the food arrived, it was dis-belief because the whole lot would have set you back under a tenner round the corner!!
After that fantastic start to our ultimate experience we decided to bite the bullit and go in, we didnt have to queue for long, (which became clear why!!) "two adults, one child" i said as my youngest is under three he qualifies free (Thank God). "£27.00 please" said the young lady behind the bulging till, "I'm sorry, only two adults, one child" i replied, to which the responce was "yes that will be £27.00 please". Well okay i thought as we are on holiday......22 and a half minutes later we were stood in the shop next to the bloody cafe again!!!
To be absoultly honest i was in shock and immediatly asked my wife if we had missed anything or taken a wrong turn somewhere. When the realisation actually hit me i needed to sit down as i had just realised that i had wasted £51.00. The actual aquarium was fine but there was hardly anything there. We, as a family have been to quite a few aquariums up and down the country, Weston-Super-Mare, Loch Lomand, Bristol (which again was disapointing which is quite funny as the is also part of the blue reef franchise) to name but a few, but this really capped them all.
In whole a really expensive waste of time with not very good overpriced food, also please dont get the guide book which you are offered after you feel like you have been robbed, because you really dont need it!!! Not a very good hour out of our day!!!

Visited October 2012

• Hebrew first
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Enjoyed it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Visited here with my girlfriend. Really enjoyed it. Having visited the marine aquarium in Plymouth too I can say I prefer it here. It's a small place, I won't deny that but they cram a lot in. Yeah of course you're going to "walk around it in 30 minutes" if you just glance at everything but that's not the beauty of the place. There's a lot of information you can take in if you care to.

My favourite part of the aquarium was the crocodile lagoon. Didn't realise there were two of them in there at first until I saw one standing motionless with half its head out of the water staring at me. Gave my girlfriend a good scare :)

You go through until you walk through the cliche underwater tunnel in the main tank. Then just past that you get to the top of the tank where they hold talks etc. Just as we got there it was time for the loggerhead turtle to have a feed. The employee feeding him gave a little talk as he did it and it was quite amazing seeing the big turtle come out of the water to grab food.

All in all I actually preferred this to the much bigger one in Plymouth just because of the variety of displays. I think they probably have more species here than they do in Plymouth. Just not as many of them and not a 250 million litre tank.

Visited October 2012
“Very expensive!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

£9.75 per adult is just far too expensive for the size of the attraction. What little there is, is well presented with some interesting facts. Don't take a buggy (as we did) there just isn't the room. The cafe looked really tired. We didnt bother stopping for coffee. Yes you can use your ticket for unlimited visits during the day, but after a 30 mins visit would you really want to go back!

Chippenham, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Good place to take the kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would have given it an excellant but for the fact we were not allowed to touch the rays anymore.
However it is an fun hour for the kids. We stopped for coffee and I decided to have a slush puppy as I have not had one since I was a kid. This was shortly followed by the most amazingly painful brain freeze.
Its right by the beach so when you have finished there, go and get changed and hit the surfs.

Visited August 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great fun for the kids... and the big kids!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good for the family. A great place to learn about and see exotic sea life, learn about conservation and the marine life. Very tranquil place for the adults, and a great place for the kids, and big kids alike! Love the array of fish, sharks, and the great big wolf (?) fish in the great big tank. Fantastic outing for a couple of hours.

Visited November 2011