“A perfect wedding at The Sands Resort”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Hereford
“A perfect wedding at The Sands Resort”
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Whilst looking online over a year ago for a venue to hold our wedding reception I came accross the Sands website, had a quick look, liked it then spoke to Leeanne Armstrong who was to be our sole contact for the whole planning process. At this point we had not visited the Sands, but decided to book as we were so impressed with the service and communication.

A few months later we were able to finally view the hotel as neither of us live in Cornwall. As soon as we walked into reception we couldn't believe our luck with what an amazing venue we had chosen. Firstly we were greeted by Leeanne who was delighted to finally meet us, then we were shown around the rooms that we would be using for the wedding. It was such a coincidence that the hotel appeared to be decorated with the theme and colour scheme I had chosen for our wedding. We were so excited and knew we had found the perfect venue. It was modern, spacious and relaxing and knew my guests would love it.

As the months of planning went by Leeanne was never out of touch, she was such a help with useful emails prompting me to what to do and when.

Finally the big day came. We went along to the Sands on the Friday before to decorate and again was met by a enthusiastic Leeanne. We had such fun decorating the rooms, with many staff running around collecting extra bits to add to the decorations. The room for the meal was just right, it was fresh, clean and modern. Our function room was also perfect for us, giving us plenty of room for our DJ, guests to sit and of course dancing! All the staff on duty that evening were superb and we were served with a smile by everyone. It really did make us feel special. Leeanne was there to welcome us as we arrived, and stayed to make sure the meal went by without a hitch, she introduced my husband and I to our guests, and then the speeches. She worked so hard to make sure it all went smoothly, and it certainly did. I even had my shoes whisked away from me and cleaned as we had been onto the beach for photos.

As for the food, it was outstanding. I lost count of how many comments I'd had from guests saying how good it was. It can not be easy to serve 50 people all at the same time and running late, but it was done expertly. I hear the bar staff were very patient with a few of my guests that refused to go to bed and continued to drink into the small hours (including my Dad by all accounts!)

All of my guests decided to stay at The Sands, many of them arriving on the Friday. Quite a few of these had children and they were all extreamly impressed with the facilities and activities. All the children at the wedding seemed content and happy, and I had reports that all the children slept unusally well, so credit to the hotel for a job well done!!

The guests all told me how impressed they were with the hotel, they enjoyed the quiz on the Friday night, and they enjoyed their meals. They loved the rooms that they stayed in, and made good use of the baby listening service. Many having a well earned break from their kids. Not only did they come to attend our wedding, but they also got a nice relaxing break at a fanastic resort. Leeanne and the staff all worked above and beyond their duty to ensure everyone had a great weekend and it really paid off as they are still talking about it now!!

I would recommend The Sands to everyone, and we can't wait to return next year for a stay ourselves for our anniversary.

• Liked — Its modern decor, and spacious feel
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Bournemouth
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We stayed at Sands for 4 nights in early September 2008. Warm and friendly staff. Room was well laid out and alot of thought had been given to make the room child friendly, inc plug covers and step in the bathroom to help them reach the basin and toilet. We pre-booked the evening meal - food was delicious and very reasonably priced. The early dinner for the kids and listening service in the evening are excellent. We also used the kids club which was well organised. I used the Spa and had a treatment - most enjoyable. Have recommeded Sands to several friends upon my return and will look to go back again next year.

• Liked — Child friendly
Bolton
Reviewed October 26, 2008

There are plenty of "wordy" reviews on here so I will sum up likes/dislikes of the sands resort.

Location (fabulous views and walks)

Staff (the majority are superb, though there are some lazy ones too, fortunately not too many!)

Atmosphere (very easy going)

The other guests/customers (no noisy trouble causers)

Food, breakfast was okay, but "Tea" ("Dinner" for readers south of Watford) was great value and exceded expectations.

Pool area (dated but adequate)

Spa (reasonably priced)

Bar (good selection and fair prices)

Kids play areas/facilities (plentyful)

Disliked

Eating times...................hmmmm.... For a "child friendly" hotel? why on earth would you want to eat seperately from your children in the first place? Not only that, whose bright idea was it to think making children wait until 7p.m. to eat (with their parents) was a "good" idea? Our kids were falling asleep in their main course, as was other guests children. This REALLY needs addressing by the hotel management.

The shabby external appearance of the main buildings (looked very "Blackpool") to be fair they started painting it during our stay, but even so it was stuck in a 1970's timewarp. It gave us that "worried" feeling upon arrival, not the sort of greeting you hope for.

The buggies for hire were falling apart and rusty, for what it would cost, it was a bit shameful to palm them off on guests (even for a fiver a day).

The general appearance and maintenance of the hotel, repainting old doors and windows doesn't cut it, at some stage a BIG overhaul is needed. The locking mechanism on our windows didn't work for instance. There is just a general "tired" appearance, which for the money you expect more.

Bingo and quizzes (which we love) were only available after kids had been "banned" from the bar area (where they were taking place), hardly what I would call "family friendly"........... just a thought I actually want to be "with" our kids on holiday and not "dump" them in an unfamiliar hotel room, whilst someone I don't know from Adam "listens in" to see if they cry...........yeah ........great. What if there is a fire? What is the procedure for getting the kids out of the room? How do you quickly find parents if the children are crying? just curious......

Room layout

The first room we got offered was very dull for the children, no bright colours or "kid type" decor. The door from the corridor into the room went straight into the kids bedroom, not particularly security conscious. The kids bedroom appeared to be an "afterthought".

The second room we got offered which we stayed in (room 47) had 4 doors coming off the kids bedroom, why, I wondered? one of the doors led straight into the hotel corridor. As previously stated the window locking mechanisms (in the kids bedroom) didn't work therefore I had to sleep with one eye open, which didn't assist me with much relaxing, there was also a ladder handily placed on the roof next to the window for any would be burglar. I work in the security industry (and I'm overly careful where our kids security are concerned) however with a little thought and extra effort on the hotels part, these security issues can be eliminated fairly easily.

No footpath from the beach/ road to the hotel reception meaning me and my wife had to get the buggies over some difficult terrain and dodge our way around the car park (normally after a very tiring walk), this was made even more difficult by the tools left around (on the other hotel paths) by the maintenance staff.

That's about it really............some really good experiences mixed in with a few (too many!) bad ones, if the hotel implement some changes as I have suggested, we would dearly like to return, however I fear that they have enough regular guests not to care too much. Until this happens we will be steering clear.

Until then our quest goes on to find a GENUINE child friendly hotel........

• Liked — Location, Food and the
  • Disliked — Claims of being a
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Trevelgue, Managing Director at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2008
Firstly may I thank Mr Lebrey for his kind comments. I do not normally respond to guest criticism but feel that in this case some of Mr lebreys points need to be seen in context.

Admissions first. Yes the Hotel was built in the 70's (cant help that) and yes it is currently being redecorated externally. We are a small private hotel and re-invest £500,000 every winter in our property. Indeed the room that Mr Lebrey first stayed in had just had a £12,000 refit.

We are a 3 star family hotel and I think the comments made should be judged against the daily family rate of £120 incl VAT per day that the family paid in total for all 4 of them to stay, including a 2 room suite, breakfast, dinner, free golf and tennis, heated indoor pool with free spa and sauna, childrens entertainments, 3 adventure play areas ...........if Mr Lebrey finds a hotel that offers this for a family at less than £120 a day then I would like to hear about it.

It is suggested that our rooms aren't child friendly, the childrens room has its own TV with DVD player, the suite also has a sony playstation, a fridge to keep drinks cool, tea making facilities, a second sink, baby listening device..........what can I say? (given that children of all ages use the kids room we chose not to go with the colourfull "thomas the tank look" as that isnt appropriate for teenagers.)

Mr Lebrey is mistaken about all parents wanting to take dinner with their children, around 50% of parents like to eat as a couple each night with their children cared for on baby listening or in the creche that is open over dinner time.

Children do not have to eat at 7.00, we do a high tea at 4.45 for those who like to eat early and our zoned eveing dining offers more choices when combined with our child care facilities than any other hotel we know.

I can find no record of the window lock being reported faulty, had it been brought to our attention it would have been dealt with.

Our hire prams do get knocked about over a seasons use, but we did not charge for the use of the pram as Mr lebey suggests, it was complimentary and he took it and used it.

Parents have asked us for child free areas after dinner and yes I think it is reasonable that adults can have a drink and a laugh without children after 9.30pm. (and no (dont panic) we don't do BINGO in the bar as an adult entertainment, bingo is one of the childrens entertainments run in the family room at 6.15, along with the magic show, party games etc)

I accept we aren't perfect, but we do try really hard to be family friendly and our thousands of return customers seem to accept we succeed.

For holidays that put children before parents I can recommend Centre Parc and Butlins both of whom do a brilliant job.

When Mr Lebrey finds the perfect family hotel I look forward to visiting it.
Wiltshire
Reviewed October 2, 2008

We stayed at Sands Resort back in September and had a wonderful holiday - the hotel was absolutely fab and the staff were all wonderful. We have 2 boys, (one at 4 years and the other at 7 months)... Our elder son loved everthing about the the hotel and is asking to go back every day, saying how much he misses the place.

The hotel is really geared up for both kids and parents... Our eldest had his dinner at the kids 'early tea' which caters for all fussy tastes and whims and also joined in with the childrens club most nights, (cost of £5 per 2 hour session, but well worth it - the carers are really fab and our son loved them... He was desperate to go to the club every night!!). Our baby son also enjoyed the early kids tea, (high chairs, baby food and warming facilities available), he was fast asleep by 7pm and came with us to the restaurant most nights - I'm a real paranoid Mum who said that she'd never use 'baby listening' - but, I have to admit, once I relaxed and spoke to the other paprents about this free service, I relented on a couple of nights as everything is so secure, (proper listening microphones and the hotel closes all doors at 7pm, leaving only one access point through the hotel reception. This left me and my hubby free to enjoy a yummy 3 course meal and a glass of wine in peace before we collected our 4 year old at 9.15pm - Bliss!!
We stayed in one of the pool rooms, which was OK... It was clean and tidy and had all the necessaries, (2 TV's, mini fridge, DVD player, reasonable bathroom, basic tea & coffee making area and seating). It had a nice balcony with a view of the outdoor pool and fab views of the countryside beyond. It was very warm in the room, but they provided a fan which helped.

The play areas are fab, with sandpits a plenty, pirate ships, crazy golf, climbing frames, a maze, tennis courts, zip wire and loads more!! There was even a white barn owl to watch on the coast line from the hotel lounge!! There was 'adult only areas' for those who wanted escape all things kiddi-fied' and another lounge with a large screen TV showing sport, this was the family area and kids were welcome to join in if their parents had enough energy to stay awake later than 9.30pm :-)

The hotel also has a small shop in the reception area, which sell nappies, wipes, Calpol etc, which I thought was handy for those forgotten bits or stuff you may run out of.

All in all, I would thoroughly recommemend this hotel to anyone with young children, who would like to stay in a gorgeous part of Cornwall, with access to great hotel food and superb service. The local beaches and coastal walks were wonderful, which makes life easy for parents... as long as you have a bucket and spade :-) We will definately be going back next year!!

• Liked — Overall friendliness from the staff and superb facillities for us frazzled parents with young ones!!
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was all good!!
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2008

We went with high expectations. To keep it brief there wer several good things about the place. Certainly the restaurant is very child friendly as pretty much every one eats together and whilst noisy, you can't expect anything else. And the food is consistently good. Play areas outside were good, well maintained, high standard and excellent views out the back. Bar etc in hotel although we didn't use looked very pleasant . Down sides were the room was disappointing (Pool Suite), bit drab. No windows apart from sliding doors out to balcony - little or no air and very warm. Beds were awful. Location of hotel was good if you like walking along cliff top to the beaches which we did on several occasions. Coastline really nice although beaches not fantastic. Grat fior younger shildren especially if you have 2 or more as everyone is in the same boat.

London
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I dont often express my views, but I wanted to let people know that we found the Sands resort (Cornwall) a great place to spend a summer holiday with a 2 year old. Ok, so the weather was lousy (it is England after all!!) and my son got ill, so we had to abort the holiday early.....but, despite all of that, the hotel was great! The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough to help - and the facilities were wonderful for little ones...and the baby listenting service was robust and trustworthy, so we managed to have 4 civilised evening meals.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone with young children. We certainly hope to return next year!

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I have been staying at Sands Resort for many years with my family. My eldest children (who are now 19 & 22) adored going there from the age of two onwards. My younger children (aged 5 & 9) will not hear of going any where else.
Sands is totally child friendly. There are plenty of activities for them to do on and around the site and the beaches are a stone's throw away. Children are welcomed at adult meal times and no one gets upset if they spill something or throw a tantrum. However, if you wish to relax as a couple there are adult eating areas and a bar. I have a demanding job and going to Sands offers complete relaxation.
I recommend Sands as an ideal base for a family holiday in Cornwall.

Stayed July 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
#8 of 38 in Newquay
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#12 of 38 in Newquay

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!