“Great hotel for families with small kids!”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The management of Sands know their market and cater for their needs extremely well. They seem to have thought of everything you could possibly want or need, with an excellent attention to detail. The play facilities & kids clubs are well thought out and my 3 yr old had the time of his life at Sands. The food was surprisingly good and the lobby & bars are very pleasant.
It may seem picky and we did have a great time at Sands but I would say is that with a little effort there could be more of a luxurious feel probably appreciated by Mum & Dad. The pressure in the shower was very low and the towels provided could be bigger. I found the mattress quite hard and spent most of the week longing for my own. (Inexpensive towels & mattresses abound at Ikea)
The hotel website is a slick production showing (obviously) the very best side of the hotel. I would warn you that from the outside it is not particularly attractive and I was pretty taken aback on arrival. Once we actually got into the room I was happy enough but the common staircases and corridors have quite a retro (not in a trendy way!) feel.
Overall a super hotel for small kids, the most relaxing & family friendly hotel we have stayed at in the 3 years.

Room Tip: Sea view family suites overlook the sea but also a road. Not busy at night but noisy enough during t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have just returned from a superb week at sands, my wife and I and our 7 and 5year old kids, this has to the most family friendly hotel we have ever stayed at. The facilities for the kids were aplenty and kept the kids busy and active. The hotel is a great base for visiting Newquay and area with some of the nicest beaches and greatest views I have experienced. The food at the hotel is to a very good standard and the kids ate a 3course meal every night. The staff were all very helpful and we will definitely be returning next summer as we feel there is no need to travel abroad when there is a place like sands here in the UK.

1  Thank Leahsam09
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I am writing this review as not only have I just returned from a fantastic few days stay with my Mum but I also wanted to put a positive review of the hotel out in the public domain as in the age when the internet makes everyone an expert, I know how influential both good and bad reviews can be to a business.

As I have mentioned, I visited the hotel this week for a 2 day spa break with my Mum – so we had no children with us. I have also visited this hotel many times as I child myself (20 years ago!) but come back often for family trips and short breaks with my husband. We also were privileged enough to get married in this very special hotel. So you might say that I am somewhat of a fan!

I am also a self-confessed hotel snob and I have stayed and or/eaten in other hotels in the area.
However none of these hotels can offer what the Sands can for friendliness, personal service and total value. Cornwall is not a cheap holiday destination and has a billing of a ‘foodie paradise’ thanks Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein, Nathan Outlaw etc. The result of this upmarket trend is that most decent hotels have racked their prices up for accommodation and food and drink. In these hotels, it is common to be charged upwards of £8 for glasses of wine and most decent bottles of wine are £40 +. However, the Sands have never gone down the route of making excessive margins from their clientele, despite the fact that they could probably get away with it. (But I hope they don’t!)

The Sands is a child and family friendly hotel and does not pretend to be anything but – therefore if you do not like children or want to see them this is not for you. Children are very important to the Sands and it offers a safe and relaxed holiday option for families who choose to use the facilities on offer to aide them have the holiday they want.

As important as families are at this hotel, it is never at the detriment to their other guests – some of which do not have children, others who do but just want some quiet time on holiday. So therefore the bar is for adults only after 8pm but there are stacks of other areas for parents to be with their children if they are not in bed by this time – The Atlantic suite, Games Room, huge reception, the Harbour Room. This allows people options as not everyone wants children in a bar late at night but those that do have plenty of other places to be.

The Sands has cleverly designed the restaurant so that 80% of the room is occupied by families and a small section is for adults only – again for those guests without children or for parents who would like a meal alone.

No hotel will ever please all people at all times, but the Sands try harder than any other hotel I have stayed in to meet the requirements of all their guests both young and old.

The food is great - homely and great quality. Drinks are very reasonable for a hotel.

The Spa is amazing and the treatments that we had far exceeded those I have had in luxury spa’s – and at a fraction of the cost. The new relaxation room is wonderful and was just as much part of the treatment as the massage.

So much is included in the price at the Sands and if you use everything which is offered and consider what other hotels charge, I strongly think you will struggle to find many places that compare. As an example, we recently went to Weymouth for the weekend and paid £140 a night B&B to stay in a ‘luxury’ hotel. On check out when we were asked what could done to improve our stay, my husband replied with “Go and stay at the Sands Resort to learn how to run a hotel”
Says it all really….

Long may the Sands continue, just as it is – Fabulous!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Well, I love to look for fault, I really do! I check every hotel I ever stay at on here first and I will ALWAYS read the bad reviews first, I can't help it, it's who I am.
My partner booked this hotel for us, and when I saw it was for families (although a mother myself, I was planning a child free break) I worried about screaming kids tearing round the hotel, babies balling their eyes out over breakfast and all manor of related things, how needless these worries were!
We arrived at the hotel to find ample parking, with views of the sea in front of the hotel, and rolling field behind!
Checking in was quick and efficient and we were told how to get to our room! The communal hallways looked a little tired, but with bright photos of local areas decorating the walls this was soon forgotten!
Our room was a family room, perfectly comfortable and clean, with a fridge provided which is great if you have babies!

We found that there was a bar for adults only in the evening and at it appears that at meal times family dining is in a separate dining room to other residents at the hotel. We were also informed of times when the pool is for the use of adults only too! Fab!
The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast, there was plenty of choice and all delicious on both Mornings.
Although it was Just my partner and myself this time, we will definitely be back with the children, as we can see that the hotel is fab for families and that the facilities they provide (even with a small sur-charge) are excellent value for money!

Well done to all at the hotel, thank you so much for a relaxing break!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Myself and my 3 year old daughter stayed at the Sands from Thursday through to Sunday at the end of June and had a great girlie mini break!
I picked the Sands as not only did it sound like it had great activities for children but also it had a spa and kids club. As a single parent I thought this was fantastic, 2 hours of indulgence in the spa, while my daughter played and was looked after in the kids club, and I wasn't wrong!
The rest of my break was totally devoted to my daughter, a mixture of using the hotels facilities, bouncy castle, swimming pool, soft play area, play park and my daughters favorite, going to the Billy Wiz Magic Show on the Friday night! She didn't stop laughing for the whole show!
We also went out and about to the zoo, aquarium, beaches and my favorite a trip to Padstow,
We filled our time very easily, even through the weather was a bit grey!
We had a room overlooking the outdoor pool, it was a bit tired looking but very clean and lots of room for my daughter to run and play about! Some of the nights it was very quiet, others were a bit nosier but nothing you wouldn't expect! We slept very well!
The food was excellent, especially dinner, the restaurant staff were very friendly and the service was very quick, which is quite important when you are 3!
I would without hesitation go back again, a great location,lots of on site entertainment for the children, childcare if you need it and the staff were all friendly and welcoming without being intrusive! Great!!!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We travelled to the resort for my 60th birthday I was accompanied by my husband two daughters their partners and three children aged between 3 and 6 months. The resort was everything we hoped for and it catered for us all. The children enjoyed the facilities participating in the activities both indoor and outdoor using both pool facilities the adults joining in whether it was competitive golf in the high wind or hide and seek in the maze. As the children were happy so were we.
The food was first rate the childrens high teas had plenty of home cooked food with fresh vegetables and fruit. We enjoyed the food so much that we decided to eat every evening in the resort even though we only booked B&B. The quality was excellent and good value for money, the wine was also reasonably priced. We enjoyed this all the more as we took advantage of the listening service.
The rooms were spacious we had three rooms with sea views although the view at the back of the hotel would have been just as good with unbroken coutryside. We found the rooms clean and well maintained. Hotel staff were courteous and helpful at all times.
The resort was well located with short journeys to numerous beaches.
The only downside was the size of the TV in the room.

Room Tip: We had sea view on first floor, However no lift so had to negotiate two staircases. Though we could...
1  Thank Geraldine W
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here primarily for business with a colleague but also invited my partner along for a couple of days leisure. In terms of the business traveller the hotel was poorly equipped. There was a lot of noise day and night due to babies and children; doors slamming; there was no desk or proper chair in either of the 2 rooms I stayed in; broadband reception was variable and slow; wired connection was offered but at a high cost; both bathroom were very small with no shelves on which to place your wash-bag and the connection for shaver or toothbrush was high with no shelf on which to put the item connected!!! Bizarre. Breakfast would be best classed as average with a less than wide choice and nothing cooked fresh; hot food all on hot-plate. Sorry, except toast you cook yourself!!

I initially stayed in the family comfort room which was a good size, divided into 2 sections for sleeping (1 for kids with bunks and other with the double bed) and had opening patio doors but with no patio just the safety fence. Tea and coffee facilities were fine, fridge to use and 2 chairs to sit in with a small table; a very stained and old chaise-long. However, the bed was very soft, the TV in the kids sleep area had no remote and both TV were a bit small for the size of room; The shower pressure was very poor indeed.

Because of prior booking I had to move on my third night into an ''upgraded'' contemporary room. I had to pay £25 for the upgrade. There was NO difference in the 2 rooms, DON'T be conned. I did report this to the manager who tried to convince me the décor was improved!!! mmm same pictures, same bed, same colours....... In fact the second room was worse. There was 1 less chair so only one chair! the bed was in a different position which meant more of the room was unusable, there was a chest of drawers less leaving almost none. There was an extra sink outside the bathroom, not quite sure of the value in that but it meant the tea making facilities took up the only desk top that could be used for placing any items!! The TV did not work which I reported and second TV was old CRT type with very limited channels. Shower pressure better than previous room.

On a positive note I did find the staff very helpful and pleasant.

Overall, I would definitely NOT recommend this for business or couples. And warning for family travellers, do NOT get conned into paying more for a contemporary upgraded room as this is complete nonsense.

Room Tip: Road noise is annoying in sea facing rooms when the window is open.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank herbie69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#14 of 37 in Newquay

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!