“It's a resort for families and young couples, it excels at being just that!”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
kjpompey
“It's a resort for families and young couples, it excels at being just that!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Well, I love to look for fault, I really do! I check every hotel I ever stay at on here first and I will ALWAYS read the bad reviews first, I can't help it, it's who I am.
My partner booked this hotel for us, and when I saw it was for families (although a mother myself, I was planning a child free break) I worried about screaming kids tearing round the hotel, babies balling their eyes out over breakfast and all manor of related things, how needless these worries were!
We arrived at the hotel to find ample parking, with views of the sea in front of the hotel, and rolling field behind!
Checking in was quick and efficient and we were told how to get to our room! The communal hallways looked a little tired, but with bright photos of local areas decorating the walls this was soon forgotten!
Our room was a family room, perfectly comfortable and clean, with a fridge provided which is great if you have babies!

We found that there was a bar for adults only in the evening and at it appears that at meal times family dining is in a separate dining room to other residents at the hotel. We were also informed of times when the pool is for the use of adults only too! Fab!
The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast, there was plenty of choice and all delicious on both Mornings.
Although it was Just my partner and myself this time, we will definitely be back with the children, as we can see that the hotel is fab for families and that the facilities they provide (even with a small sur-charge) are excellent value for money!

Well done to all at the hotel, thank you so much for a relaxing break!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Myself and my 3 year old daughter stayed at the Sands from Thursday through to Sunday at the end of June and had a great girlie mini break!
I picked the Sands as not only did it sound like it had great activities for children but also it had a spa and kids club. As a single parent I thought this was fantastic, 2 hours of indulgence in the spa, while my daughter played and was looked after in the kids club, and I wasn't wrong!
The rest of my break was totally devoted to my daughter, a mixture of using the hotels facilities, bouncy castle, swimming pool, soft play area, play park and my daughters favorite, going to the Billy Wiz Magic Show on the Friday night! She didn't stop laughing for the whole show!
We also went out and about to the zoo, aquarium, beaches and my favorite a trip to Padstow,
We filled our time very easily, even through the weather was a bit grey!
We had a room overlooking the outdoor pool, it was a bit tired looking but very clean and lots of room for my daughter to run and play about! Some of the nights it was very quiet, others were a bit nosier but nothing you wouldn't expect! We slept very well!
The food was excellent, especially dinner, the restaurant staff were very friendly and the service was very quick, which is quite important when you are 3!
I would without hesitation go back again, a great location,lots of on site entertainment for the children, childcare if you need it and the staff were all friendly and welcoming without being intrusive! Great!!!

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We travelled to the resort for my 60th birthday I was accompanied by my husband two daughters their partners and three children aged between 3 and 6 months. The resort was everything we hoped for and it catered for us all. The children enjoyed the facilities participating in the activities both indoor and outdoor using both pool facilities the adults joining in whether it was competitive golf in the high wind or hide and seek in the maze. As the children were happy so were we.
The food was first rate the childrens high teas had plenty of home cooked food with fresh vegetables and fruit. We enjoyed the food so much that we decided to eat every evening in the resort even though we only booked B&B. The quality was excellent and good value for money, the wine was also reasonably priced. We enjoyed this all the more as we took advantage of the listening service.
The rooms were spacious we had three rooms with sea views although the view at the back of the hotel would have been just as good with unbroken coutryside. We found the rooms clean and well maintained. Hotel staff were courteous and helpful at all times.
The resort was well located with short journeys to numerous beaches.
The only downside was the size of the TV in the room.

Room Tip: We had sea view on first floor, However no lift so had to negotiate two staircases. Though we could...
1 Thank Geraldine W
oxford, UK
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here primarily for business with a colleague but also invited my partner along for a couple of days leisure. In terms of the business traveller the hotel was poorly equipped. There was a lot of noise day and night due to babies and children; doors slamming; there was no desk or proper chair in either of the 2 rooms I stayed in; broadband reception was variable and slow; wired connection was offered but at a high cost; both bathroom were very small with no shelves on which to place your wash-bag and the connection for shaver or toothbrush was high with no shelf on which to put the item connected!!! Bizarre. Breakfast would be best classed as average with a less than wide choice and nothing cooked fresh; hot food all on hot-plate. Sorry, except toast you cook yourself!!

I initially stayed in the family comfort room which was a good size, divided into 2 sections for sleeping (1 for kids with bunks and other with the double bed) and had opening patio doors but with no patio just the safety fence. Tea and coffee facilities were fine, fridge to use and 2 chairs to sit in with a small table; a very stained and old chaise-long. However, the bed was very soft, the TV in the kids sleep area had no remote and both TV were a bit small for the size of room; The shower pressure was very poor indeed.

Because of prior booking I had to move on my third night into an ''upgraded'' contemporary room. I had to pay £25 for the upgrade. There was NO difference in the 2 rooms, DON'T be conned. I did report this to the manager who tried to convince me the décor was improved!!! mmm same pictures, same bed, same colours....... In fact the second room was worse. There was 1 less chair so only one chair! the bed was in a different position which meant more of the room was unusable, there was a chest of drawers less leaving almost none. There was an extra sink outside the bathroom, not quite sure of the value in that but it meant the tea making facilities took up the only desk top that could be used for placing any items!! The TV did not work which I reported and second TV was old CRT type with very limited channels. Shower pressure better than previous room.

On a positive note I did find the staff very helpful and pleasant.

Overall, I would definitely NOT recommend this for business or couples. And warning for family travellers, do NOT get conned into paying more for a contemporary upgraded room as this is complete nonsense.

Room Tip: Road noise is annoying in sea facing rooms when the window is open.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank herbie69
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband found the Sands Resort on the internet and I am very glad he did. We had a lovely relaxing week and the hotel is fully equipped for anyone with young children (we have two). The staff were friendly and helpful without being overbearing and the location is perfect for child friendly beaches and activities. We will definitely be back!

1 Thank howdomoo
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for eight nights and it was our second visit, our first being last summer. The bed linen was not changed the entire stay. I know this as my daughter spilt chocolate on the pillowcase on the first day and the mark was there the day we left. I asked them to change the linen half way through the stay and I was assured they would but it never happened. The room was serviced daily but not always vacuumed and by the last day the dust was noticeably think on the surfaces.

The play area has some toys but all are broken in some way, it was the same last year but we were at the end of the season so I didn't think much of it but there has been no attempt to fix anything. The general maintenance of the place is a bit shoddy, our uPVC door and window in the room were perished and rusted so that they did not close properly which was very draughty in the high winds we experienced and also very noisy.

Last time we were there the hotel had an extensive programme of early evening entertainment for children that was mostly outsourced to professional locals. This time most of the entertainment was in house and every other night consisted of a DVD being played.

On the plus side, the child listening service offered by the hotel is fantastic and really makes the stay. There are lots of activities for kids of all ages, mostly outdoor, but as long as the weather is dry there is plenty to do.

The food in the restaurant is very good and the staff are lovely. They put on entertainment in the form of live music some nights, the guitar duo DNA are excellent.

The location is fantastic and the views breathtaking.

It just felt like some of the equipment, ie wetsuits you can borrow, kids toys and games room equipment is overtired and in need of replacing and other shortcuts on housekeeping are being made. It is expensive and I think the value has diminished because of this.

Room Tip: The family suites have a separate sleeping area. The ones on the top floor have a very high ceiling...
1 Thank Gymbunnymum
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at Sands for four nights in a two-bed suite and it was just what we all needed.

Our room, 20, had a stunning sea view and had plenty of room with three children (aged 11, 2 and 8 months), and suited us perfectly for the length of our stay.

We stayed during the Easter hols and we were able to join in with the family activities, which our two year old adored. The pool was a big hit, though the changing room set up was confusing initially and not ideal for larger families, especially if it's busy.

The food and drink was brilliant. We took advantage of the baby listening and had two wonderful child-free meals in the evening (having read previous reviews we were curious to see what the food would be like), which were delicious. The wine list was great and reasonably priced.

We'll be back in a shot, but to make it affordable, we'd need to take advantage of their offers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BrindleyShaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!