“Spa day - excellent! Can't recommend it enough!”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Redruth, United Kingdom
“Spa day - excellent! Can't recommend it enough!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Last Saturday I attended Sands Resort as part of a group for a Spa day organised as a hen party. I can't recommend the Resort enough! From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty - nothing was too much trouble.
We were plesantly surprised that we had a private room for us - which was absolutely perfect and beautifully decorated along with the rest of the hotel. Great to have somewhere to relax and leave your stuff when you are having ypur treatments or in the pool. The treatments were amazing - I had the shoulder, back and neck massage and it was incredibly relaxing.
The pool is lovely and very spacious - plus we spent plenty of time in the sauna!
Lunch was amazing - really tasty food at great prices. Perfect for everyone to choose what they liked - whether it was something more filling like a burger or one of their gorgeous paninis.
However, the thing I want to rave about most was the staff. From the moment they welcomed us to the hotel, they made us feel completely at home. Even the care they took at serving us lunch made us feel like VIPs! If you are thiking of havin a spa day in Cornwall, I thoroughly recommend Sands Resort. I certainly will be back very soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just returned from our first stay at Sands. Had such a relaxing, enjoyable stay with our two children aged 4 & 6 thanks to friendly staff, brilliant facilities, vast out door play areas, childcare options and spa. Rooms ( we stayed in a contemporary family sea view room) are spacious, clean and comfortable. Had one of my best massages ever in the spa. Location of hotel is fab for amazing beaches and exploring Cornwall in general. Loved it!

• Stayed March 2013
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff are excellent, very friendly and approachable and nothing is too much bother. The facilities for young children are excellent (our son is 4). Why we like this hotel so much is because it is so child friendly with the children's high tea, indoor pool, outdoor facilities and hobbie and kids clubs that it allows you as a parent to relax - no-one is going to stare and tut at you here if your child throws a tantrum at tea time! We made use of the baby listening and so felt like we had a really good break too. I agree with other reviews that the food for children was a bit adult but again the staff were happy to accommodate children and adults that had any specific dietary requirements. We have had 2 great holidays here (we went in the summer last year and the beach was excellent) and for the price it is very good. We all came back feeling very relaxed and will definitely return for a hassle free holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rachel G
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

There are already lots of reviews with varying opinions but if you are realistic about the price you are paying and understand that this is a hotel set up for families with young children then you are likely to be very happy with your stay.
The staff are universally excellent, nothing was too much trouble and they are obviously genuinely enjoying what they do, a big contrast to some much more expensive holidays we have had. The rooms are well configured and comfortable (although the energy saving lighting is harsh and cold). We could have used another bin!
The facilities are ideal for children, although some areas are tired looking there is a continual process of renewing and upgrading.
Perhaps the only negative comment I would have is with the food. The children’s menus are really quite adult so fussy eaters (I have two) may not find something they enjoy at every meal, however as usual the staff were more than happy to cook something to order if given a few hours notice.
We stayed full board and the adult evening meals were good but not spectacular – but again at ~£15 per adult per day one can’t really complain. We just felt that almost every dish could do with a little more seasoning and some didn’t quite match the grand descriptions. The newly refurbished restaurant is smart and comfortable but very noisy when only half full.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Second stay at Sands with 3 kids under 4 years old. The hotel is ideally set up for young families. Staff and cleanliness excellent. Listening in service allows parents to have an adult meal. We will booking up for a further stay shortly.

• Stayed March 2013
St Austell, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had a facial at the hotel's spa and was very disappointed. Therapist who "welcomed" us at reception didn't even look up from her computer. The room I had my treatment in was ok but the bed dropped a bit when I got on it. I had to ask for a pillow as the back of my head was left to sit down the face hole which was very uncomfortable. The was no cushion placed under my knees. The towels provided to cover me during the treatment were far too small, just over the size of a hand towel so was left feeling cold. The therapist was very heavy handed and at one point even pressed down quite hard on my wind pipe. I had to ask her to lighten her touch which she did slightly but it was still too heavy. She gave me about 1 minute of a head massage then left the room for 10 minutes while the mask set in. Overall I was very disappointed. The only good thing was when I went to pay it was £11 cheaper than I expected as they decided to give me a different type of facial as a booked. It almost seemed as though they were short staffed and got someone from college still training to stand in. Never again!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jeni-flower84
SandsResort, Manager at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I am sorry that you didn't find your treatment matched your expectations.

I have taken the matter up with the Spa Manager so we can sort out any issues resulting from your comments. We dont have any note of any complaints in the spa over the past several months so can't track the issue to one therapist, so we will make sure that all therapists take on board your feedback.

Allthough you had booked at a higher price we gave you the price of a special offer we were running for the same treatment.

Regards
Nicholas Malcolm
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

As a place for an overnight stay and arriving around 6pm it was difficult to get ones head round all the convoluted seating and eating arrangements. Travelling with youngish children we were too late for kids tea and felt the reception in the dining room for dinner was rather cold. One felt as if diners were unwelcome and when was told of the different zones for seating and times for eating it began to feel a bit like Butlins. The set menus gave no scope for a lighter bite. We could see that the leisure facilities were good though we had no time to make use of them as we were departing very early next morning. The rooms were clean and comfortable so it seems a good place for a family holiday but less attractive for one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank spectacleYorkshire
SandsResort, Manager at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Many thanks for your review.

I would have to agree that as an overniight stop destination you really aren't going to get the best from Sands which is a holiday destination best enjoyed over several days. Arriving after 6.00 pm and leaving esarly the next morning gives you no chance to use the facilities which you saw but were unable to use because of time constraint.

With regard to the rules we prefer to call them choices. We have guests who have many different dining requirements. Some parents want to use the childrens clubs or baby listening so they can eat as a couple in a quiet dining room, others want to eat as a family, others want their children to have an early tea and then sit with the parents whilst they have their dinner later. We try to offer as many choices as we can.

By giving people choices we hope to meet as many of these requiremnt as possible. I'm sorry that you saw them as rules, most of our guests will have read the dining choices which are on the booking confirmation and website, they pre-book but can change it during the holiday.

I wish you had had an opportunity to stay for a couple of days as I'm sure things would have made sense then and you would have had a chance to enjoy a Sands holiday..

Regards

Nicholas Malcolm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
#7 of 38 in Newquay
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!