“Cleanliness May Be An Issue...”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Whilst I can not fault the staff or the facilities, I can complain over the state of the rooms. I stayed here a few times this September and October for work. The rooms I had were spacious with amazing sea views. However, every time I stayed here, there was a cleanliness issue with the room. On multiple occasions there were stray hairs in the bed and on the pillows - I found these on the first night and they were definitely not mine. I took this to mean the bed sheets were not clean and slept on the outside of the covers (which was not comfortable as it was a cold night). I also found hairs in the bathtub, again on my first night, before I used the facilities. There were also occasions of make up on a pillow and make up on the cups provided with the tea making facilities. On most of the occasions that I stayed there, I only stayed for one night and did not complain. If I had been there for more than one night I would have done so. I also re-stayed there because it was the only hotel close to where I was working. The other two negative points I want to mention are that the beds were amazingly uncomfortable and the breakfast timings. One of the other reviews says breakfast was poor, I did not get to try as breakfast was not served until 8 am, and I always left for work by 7.30.

The staff were very friendly though and recognised me and welcomed me back each time. I can see why this is popular choice due to location and family facilities. But I would not recommend and would not choose this hotel voluntarily.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank saffy01
MrMonTour, Owner at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thanks for your feedback though it is disappointing that despite the problems you found you did not speak to anyone at reception. We do occasionally get things wrong and would have liked to react to your problems, we would have also been happy to provide you with an early breakfast if requested.
Although there are many other hotels nearby to choose from I note that you voluntarily re-booked several stays with us over the month, but didn't mention any problems when booking these other stays.
Thank you for the kind comments regarding the friendliness of our staff and once again I apologise for any issues with your rooms cleanliness.
Regards
Nicholas Malcolm

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is located 2 minutes away from the most amazing views at the nearby beach and a wonderful hiking path. It’s very close to the Newquay train station (6-7 min/ c. 5 Pounds by taxi).
The rooms are very spacious; in fact, a double bedroom includes two separate areas, a large area for parents and a small room for children (2 beds + a baby cot); the bathroom is in the middle. The furniture in the rooms is a bit older, but everything is clean and very comfortable, so we didn’t mind it.
Indoor swimming pool is relatively small, but the deepest part is 2m deep which is pretty good. There is a separate small swimming pool for babies. The gym is not free of charge for the guests of the hotel – which I think is one thing that the management should consider changing (I’d incorporate the cost into the price of the room/board). Right now it’s 4 Pounds per day or 10 Pounds for the whole stay – not too much, but we were lazy to go and ask for the usage of gym and pay the fee…one just wants to be able to walk into the gym and exercise when on holidays.
Two things that are outstanding are the service and the dinner. People who work in this hotel are lovely, hospitable and very kind. The service was great everywhere, but I would like to give special kudos to the ladies working in the children’s club. We have a 4 month old child who was taken care of by these ladies every morning (there is a service which cost around 3-4 pounds per hour which allows you to leave your child in the “children’s club” from 8:45 until 12:30 every morning – super convenient if you want to have a quiet breakfast and some time to just chill). The club involves a number of interesting activities for toddlers and older children, but they also accept very small babies and take a very good care of them. On our last day, we had an emergency and my partner and I needed to go to the nearby hospital in Newquey. While we were away, Ruth, the lady who works in the hotel’s children’s club, took care of our baby for two hours outside of the regular children club’s working hours. When we returned, I thought that we should pay Ruth at least the regular baby-sitting rate for 2 hours, however, she didn’t want to receive any money and told us that she would have done this for everybody. I will never forget her kindness.
The other thing I wanted to talk about it the most amazing dinner we had every night during our stay in Sands. If you can, I highly recommend that you include the dinner into your package, it’s worth every penny – high quality food, great selection, unbelievable taste and presentation – we felt as if we went to have dinner in some fancy restaurant every evening (to me, it was very comparable to the Jamie Oliver’s nearby restaurant, which I also highly recommend). I don’t know who the chef is in Sands, but I congratulate him/her wholeheartedly for the amazing job they are doing.
I see that some people have rated the breakfast as “poor” – I disagree with them. The breakfast is average – eggs, ham, sausage, cheese, croissants, cereals, fruit, yogurt, milk, 2-3 kinds of fruit juice, coffee/tea…not sure what else one would want to have for breakfast ; granted, it’s not as impressive as the dinner, but it’s a normal breakfast.
I think we’ll return to Sands when our baby is a bit older for sure. There are so many activities for toddlers/young children which I think our little boy will love.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stela B
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Full review recently posted by the "other half" but she didn't mention a couple of negatives which I feel do require mention.

Breakfast was poor. I guess chef just fills up the holders at 7.30 a.m. and quits for the day. The hot food holder manages to maintain a tepid temperature only which is then complimented with cold plates. Not how I like to start my day. Coffee was damn good though.

Evening meal food standard was very high indeed and the variety each day was excellent. Chef definitely takes pride in work but unfortunately the experience is diminished by also serving on cold plates.

Luckily there's a microwave in the dining room (for warming babies bottles etc) but it's a shame to have to re-heat your evening meal within two minutes of it being served.

This hotel needs a manager. There were many willing staff on hand but they were mostly young and seem to be under supervised and under trained. A little effort in a few small areas could make quite a difference.

Would I return? Yes! Would I be bitterly disappointed if some of these points weren't addressed? YES!

Best.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
SandsResort, Manager at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

You will be glad to hear that we have allready addressed this issue. In the begining of November we are installling 2 new bain-marie units with heated gantry lights, hot cupboards and a plate warmer unit to ensure hot plates.
This will be part of an upgrade of the servery area. We also have new chairs and dining tables being delivered today.
I hope when you return you will notice a difference.
Nicholas Malcolm

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We took our family to Sands for our 40th wedding anniversary. Daughter, son in law and children aged 3 and 4. Son, daughter in law and children aged 3, 2 and five weeks. We were so impressed with the facilities for children, we had lovely sea view rooms, very spacious and nothing was too much trouble for all the friendly staff. In particular, the food and the service in the dining room was remarkable. We were very well looked after and the menus,( adult and children) were very good as was the food itself. All 6 adults used the spa facilities and were very happy with them.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We traveled from Ireland with our 15 year old for a family wedding in Devon combined with a family holiday touring Cornwall. The separate bedrooms meant the room and location in Cornwall for a family with teenagers was just perfect. We had a contemporary suite on the top floor over looking the beautiful view of the sea. The dinner in the evenings was by hotel standards truly excellent and even our fussy 15 year old was well satisfied and his special requests excluding all veg were attended to without any remarks. Thank you Sue and Chef, hope Sue our charming waitress on 2 evenings passed on our compliments. We toured all around charming Cornwall and surrounding counties and used the recommended day trips posted on the notice board outside the restaurant to guide our days out and our lunch stops! (we loved the Ferry Port at Lizard) after which most evenings we squeezed in a swim, sauna and jacuzzi before dinner and a couple of games of table tennis, pool and drinks after dinner we did not hear the "bored" word once! There was something for all of us at this hotel and I recommend it for families with teenagers also! Thank you Sands Resort! Cathy Ciaran and Conor (Dublin Ireland)

Room Tip: Sea facing definately!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed for a week with our 18 month and 3 year olds.

The kids had a great time playing in the indoor soft play area and the outside space. We enjoyed the excellent food and great location.

Minor moans; water pressure is poor and shower height is shoulder level.

Agree with others that the rooms are more functional than luxurious, but offered us good value.

Overall a great family orientated hotel and recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in September and overall enjoyed the hotel and found it good value, just be aware of what you're getting so i'm highlighting the negative.
The reviews are, in general, over generous in my opinion.
The decoration of the hotel in the lobby is very nice and should be continued throughout, our contemporary suite was good but I think the decor elsewhere is average and in the corridors and pool / jacuzzi area poor. The pool shower area should be improved as I think there's only one with no soap provided.
The staff were as friendly as they needed to be (no more and actually one was rude).
Food was like good home cooking in the evening. At breakfast you have to get everything but the tea and coffee yourselves, poor yoghurts and fruit salad and slightly anaemic bacon. Drinks are good value and there is a reasonable choice.
It is VERY child friendly and the extensive list of facilities only support that. I hope they maintain all the facilities over time. Our child loved the toddler maze! Being able to use the wetsuits and boards was great fun (10 minutes walk across a road and down steep steps to the beach).
A crying child is nothing to worry about as I don't think anyone would stay here without children! The sound proofing between rooms is good.
Overall this is a place to have family fun and we enjoyed a relaxed evening using the listening service but don't expect a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view from second floor quite good, some rooms would have a partly interrupted view due to the bu...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Review365
SandsResort, Owner at Sands Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

You will be glad to know that the old jacuzzi area is being replaced by a new steam room, I will add a soap dispenser to the shower area and we will be doing some work on the coridoors this winter.
As a large family hotel Sands does take a battering from the 100 plus children who stay most weeks, but we do upgrade areas every winter.
Last year we did the beauty spa, a new gym, the beachcomber lounge and restaurant. The year before a new outdoor pool, new tennis court and the reception area that you liked.
Hopefully if you return next year you will see this winters upgrades.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#13 of 37 in Newquay

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!