“So much to do”

Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently had a 3 night stay at the Sands - a bit of a cheat as we only live a few miles away but just needed to get away for a bit and spend some quality time with the little ones. It was full on excitement from the moment we arrived with so many things to do and see I wondered if we would ever get them to bed! Our room (Contemporary sea vew) was fab with the bonus of the separate sleeping area for the kids and a nice size room so we didn't feel cramped. We had a few minor problems with the room but one call to reception they were put right straight away. Only one drawback was that there was no window to open in the kids room and although there was a fan on the wall it did get quite warm so pack light jimjams!

All the facilities were great and very well maintained and although the weather was not perfect we were lucky to be able to try the outside and indoor play.

Kids high tea was fab with tea and coffee for us grown ups to help ease the process of persuading the kids that vegetables are not yucky! We opted for the adults only dining which was such a treat and relaxing knowing that the room was monitored by the intercom system. The only comment I would make to the hotel is to offer an alternative fine dining option for adults in the evening as we would have paid extra for a change on one of the evenings - however the food was still very good and it did not detract from our enjoyment just something for the wish list!!

I would recommend the Sands to any family as it really gave us a break together that we could all enjoy.

Room Tip: We had a comtemporary sea view suite but also looked at a comfort inland which is also a lovely view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is our second visit. I am unsurprised to find that it ranks top on trip advisor - we have had mixed experiences with weather but the hotel has been excellent both times. The food is good, the staff consistently enthusiastic, polite, friendly and helpful and the location is great, right by the sea with a great beach at the bottom of the cliffs (ok, with 100 odd steps to negotiate).

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Came back from Sands just yesterday. Couldn't have asked for more. Has so much to offer, especially for kids. My daughter absolutely loved it and wanted to stay a bit longer! Staff is extremely friendly, food is fantastic and has all the lovely facilities for kids (park,maze, pools, kids club and much more). Would definitely return next year.

Room Tip: Contemporary sea view rooms are fantastic. Preferably second floor if you don't mind climbing st...
2  Thank bob_1074
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The things I enjoyed about this hotel are that all the staff are extremely welcoming and friendly, the food was something to look forward to at the end of the day, and the facilities were perfectly designed for travelling with small children. The separate sleeping area is great as the kids can be in the quiet and dark whilst you can talk in the light. The rooms are really clean and the bed is massive - so perfect for when your children all end up in bed. We went for the option of eating with your children and it was nice to see lots of other families there too so you don't feel everybody is watching when your child cries. The beaches nearby are the best I have ever been to, but if you have had enough of the beach the activities provided at the hotel are just as fun.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CinderellaExeter
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was our first family holiday and we simply couldn't have dreamt of a better place. Wonderful location just outside Newquay at Porth Beach which was perfect for a 2 year old on his first beach holiday.
Hotel had literally everything your kids could want yet never once felt like it was a kids camp.
Food was above expectation, of course it's not fine dining but it's not claimed to be. If you want good tasting local food you would struggle to find better.
If you are able to, pay a little more for a suite. The extra space was a godsend. The children have their own room and space, makes a big difference.
Would I recommend this place? Seldom have I had an easier question. Will definitely be back.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We were looking for a family friendly hotel in Cornwall and this one ticked all the boxes. Although we had several recommendations for larger, more expensive hotels, we went out on a limb and booked the Sands. We were NOT disappointed.

This hotel is not luxury, but it has so much to offer a family with children. It is clean and well run with friendly and attentive kids club staff as well as reception staff. We had an enormous room that was really two rooms and a bathroom. It had recently been refurbished and was clean and nice.

Our daughter managed to meet a little friend her first evening in the club and they were inseparable for the rest of the week. If the kids are happy....so are the parents!

It was our daughter's birthday whilst we were there and they made a big fuss of her throughout the day. It really helped to make her feel special on the day itself.

We used all of the facilities from the indoor pool, the maze, mini golf and the wetsuits that they will loan you to surf.

It was nice to have an "adult only" room for dinner that we could enjoy whilst our daughter was in kids club.

One last thing. I booked a 2 hour spa treatment and enjoyed two of the most relaxing hours I have ever spent in a spa. The spa itself is small and nothing to write home about. However, the treatment itself was first rate.

If you are looking for good value for money, I would highly recommend this little gem. We have booked the Sands again in October and I cannot wait.

Room Tip: We had a type C apartment which was enormous for our needs. A family of 5 could easily be comfortabl...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was our first visit to Sands Resort Hotel and as I was on my own with my son I was hoping for many activities to keep him busy with some down time for me as well. I was not disappointed. Sands offers a kids' club in the morning and plenty of outdoor and indoor games as well as an indoor pool. This was a godsend as it rained pretty much all week!! My son absolutely loved it and I got to read a whole book. Result for both of us! Our room was very spacious (it was a triple) and the choice from the set menu each day was very good. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Only a throw away from Newquay and Padstow, the resort is well placed and two beaches are only minutes walk away. Shame we never made it on our body boards due to the rain and high winds. Still, I'll definitely come back and might even drag my husband into it next time!

Room Tip: I was given the family room 53 which has three single beds and offers a lot of space. I would love t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to Sands Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!