“Easily one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed at. Possibly THE worst.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Christopher's Inn Newquay

St. Christopher's Inn Newquay
Ranked #86 of 112 Newquay B&B and Inns
“Easily one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed at. Possibly THE worst.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

I was greeted here by sarcastic an rude staff, who stormed out of the hostel to inform me that I couldn't use their car park, despite this having already been cleared with the owner.

I was taken aback by the prices at the bar and was put off further by the general incompetence of the barstaff.

Yes, the views are magnificent, but difficult to enjoy whilst you're forcing down a 'continental' breakfast of stale rice crispies and coffee which tastes like grit. I shudder to think which continent prides itself on such a tasteless start to the day.

The rooms smelt like an open sewer and there were odd white stains and pubic hairs on the sheets. Despite the plan to stay here for an entire week, I fled bathe myself in disinfectant after only two restless nights.

I feel it important to add that I have stayed in cheap hostels in Romania, Greece, Turkey and Cambodia with ten times the charm and sophistication as St Christopher's Inn, Newquay (and often at a fraction of the price). Save your money and your dignity and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We booked the10 bed dorm for 2 nights at just shy of £15 per night each, which for starters was excellent value for money. the room was pretty standard, but you cant really expect much for that price. we had one toilet and 2 showers all seperate, which was handy, although one of the shower doors was broken, it really wasnt that mush of a problem though. the view from the room, was absolutely amazing - not what i was expecting for the money we paid. the room wasnt immacualte, but again, cant quibble for the money we paid, and if u do like things really clean - just take some anti-bac wipes with ya!! the only thing i would say is that the floors could do with a good sweep, which i am sure it gets regularly, but seeing as you are 2mins walk from the beach, you cant help but get a tonne of sand everywhere - think i still have some in my suitcase lol. the staff were very friendly and helpful, any questions they were more than willing to help. provided us with a few extras and all we did was ask politely for a few bits we needed and they were more than accomadating, and really do expect you to party hard (which we did, natuarally :D) breakfast was included in the price of the room, again pretty standard, just cereals and toast and tea and coffee, but again, you cant complain - at least you get fed. location was excellent, right on the beach, yet right in the middle of town, i mean sailors, one of the best clubs in newquay is stumbling distance away, literally less than 100yrs, excellent food there at reasonable prices, and if you dont want to eat there, there area ridiculous number of take aways and eateries within throwing distance. you're right by a supermarket so if you do need any bits, or if you forgotton to pack a nessescity, no worries!!! i will say - parking was a bit of an issue though, but managed to find one £5 per night/day, was a bit of a mission to get to though, but again not a major problem, as there is a (un)loading bay right infront of the hostel. but to sum it all up - excellent trip, excellent value money, and will definately be going back next year!! 9 1/2 outa ten!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Cornwall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

Whilst the location of this hostel is excellent it falls short in cleanliness, service and room quality.

I paid £20 p/n for two nights during low season (not too bad considering it was a last minute trip). Parking was an issue(but is for everyone in Newquay), but I phoned the hostel to ask for directions and they were most unhelpful, providing vague routes once I had reached Newquay.

Arrival: Loud, brash receptionist greeted me on arrival. Claimed that I hadn't paid a deposit online (which you do for almost every hostel you book online), an argument ensued, but eventually she accepted that I was correct. Thankfully I was asigned to a room in which no other guests were staying (dorm).

Room: Can sympathise with some reviews on here, the rooms do have a quite disgusting stench. Perhaps left by the previous guests. But simply opening the window for a few minutes dispersed the potent smell. Bunks were pretty comfy and the room was quiet (no other guests).

Hostel: The bar was overpriced which shocked me considering it was low season, so I went out for drinks and food in the town. The Hostel has its own path to the beach and surfboard storage racks (useful).

Location: excellent, right by the beach. easy trek back after an afternoon's surf.

Breakfast: Merely toast and tea. Well I say the latter, but apparently they'd run out of tea bags for the two mornings I stayed. Not really good enough considering a shop and supermarket are pretty much opposite the hostel.

Conclusion: All in all, an ok stay. I don't have much time for Newquay, but in low season with some decent waves and relatively good weather it can be alright. The hostel should work more on customer service - perhaps clean the rooms thoroughly. Plenty of alternatives now in the town, so I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Newquay hotels

derby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2009

I would definately NOT reccomend this hostel. Upon entering our room we were greeted by an undescribable smell, which was sickening. the room had hairs on the sheets and was really tiny and crampt. the dated bunkbeds were child sized and very uncomfortable! We were told that there was a drain problem in our cupboard-sized bathroom and that it had travelled down room by room. since we were room 16, 15 other rooms must have suffered with no action taken. i felt sorry for the girl who unsucessfuly attempted to sort it out.
The bar itself is in a great location on the edge of the beach, however the restaurant was terrible! our food arrived 1 and a half hours late, and was cold! even then not all our food turned up, even after paying for it. some of the staff were rude and unprofessional. It probably wouldnt be too bad if only staying for one or two nights, but seven nights there made me feel like i'd wasted my money. Just dont bother, you get what you pay for i guess.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveller-uk56
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

Went down for the bank holiday weekend with the girls and stayed for 2 nights. Great location, really easy to get around by foot. Staff are very friendly and laid back, they will probably check you in with a beer in hand type laid back. The room we stayed in on the first night was ok, just the usual backpackers style dorm however we found a gem on the second night. They have a refurbished girls only dorm room 18 I think, so request this one if possible. Has x2 power showers, toilet, x10 beds, TV, DVD player and pink bedding, so a real treat for the girls. Previously we'd been put in room 9, definately a no no! Tiny box room with no window that opens it was like a sauna so try and avoid this room. Overall great hostel for all the basics, amazing views over the sea and cheap bar, you get 10% off if you flash your room card.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Aussie in Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

My husband booked this hostel on a whim when we decided to get away. The staff upon arrival were friendly and helpful and we had a 4 person room to ourselves which was nice. However, we arrived to find sand in our beds and chip crumbs on another, the bins full of rubbish, a dirty toilet, a dodgy shower and a horrid mouldy smell from the bathroom ensuite. We also found that the WIFI they had was broken and that the 'free parking' they advertised did not exsist and that you have to pay to park your car in the nearby carpark. In saying all this though, it does have it's good points. The view you get from your room (perhaps not all, but certainly ours) is amazing, the staff are friendly and approacable and the bar downstairs is also nice and has a nice atmosphere. You get what you pay for I guess!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

Newquay is an amazing place and this hostel is no exception. It's located on a cliff edge with the most amazing view of the bay which I could see from my bed. There is a lively, friendly bar downstairs which attracts a young crowd and offers guests 10% off. By day this acts as a lounge with the same spectacular view over the bay. The rooms are exactly what you expect in a hostel, the bunk beds are really comftable and everything was clean. The showers are perfect and I have to mention the view again, something woke me up at 5.30 and I watched the sunrise before falling back to sleep. The hostels location is as good as it could be. One minute to the beach and one minute to the bars and clubs. There's also a Sainsburys opening nearby in july09 which will be great for backpackers. I was also surprised that breakfast was included as this wasn't advertised when I booked. Toast/Cereal/Coffee etc, it's served between 9 and 10 which is late I guess but Cornwall is laid back like that.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Great Western Hotel
Tredethy House
Tredethy House
#1 of 1 in Tredethy
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Christopher's Inn Newquay? Share your experiences!