“easter break”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed April 27, 2014

after reading the reviews ive decided to leave my very own . we stayed in the gannel suite for 2 nights over the easter wkend , first impressions of the hotel was the lobby was large and very clean , hotel staff were polite and helpful , our room was huge well decorated and the view over the estuary was amazin . Our stay included a 3 course meal , the dinning room was white and looked lovely , the food was out of this world , complimenst to the chefs , the hotel restaurant manager matt went out of his way to make our break that extra special , helping my partner organise my surprise engagement proposal.........nothing was too much trouble and matt made us feel like we were royalty , he went above and beyond his job discription .
yes the hotel has a few places that are looking a little tired but remember this is a 3 star hotel ...i reccommend paying that little extra to upgrade to the gannel suite if not only for the amazin views .
The evening meals were fantatic , just as the breakfast was ......cooked fresh to order , our stay at the hotel was amazin and we will be returning again in the near future .
it has a bowling alley , an indoor and outdoor pool , a sauna room and is a 5 min stroll from fistrel beach ...........what more could you want !!!!

Room Tip: view over estuary ..............gannel suite
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel California

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel last minute over easter bank hol. It was slightly more expensive than what we wanted to pay. However i'm glad we did book this, its a quirky place. Its quite a large hotel. Breakfast was great with a lot of choice. Staff were really helpful. There is a bowling alley within the hotel which was a positive! Could be better if they offered residents a lower rate. Its got 4 lanes so is quite small but still very good. There is a small indoor pool and sauna. I didn't use these facilities. However they seemed ok. Its quite an old style hotel but clean and paintwork seems fresh. They light a real fire in reception everyday which was brilliant!! The views are amazing from
The terrace and the restaurant. I would definitely recommend this place. We got a cab for £6 from the hotel to newquay centre. The only negative was that the main bar closes at 11pm, for a hotel this size it would have been better if it was open later. Beaches are within walking distance.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. There were both an indoor- and an outdoor pool which was free for us to use as staying guests. There was also a bowling alley on the ground floor. Coming into the hotel was like going back in time to the late 70s or very early 80s, but it was clean and stylefull in its own way. Breakfast was included and ok. The view over the river from the balcony was really something special. I would not mind staying there again. The kids, 7 and 9 years old, loved it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Just arrived back from a long weekend at the hotel and this is the third time we have stayed there. I was apprehensive this time as I had read a few poor reviews but in a nutshell its a 3 star hotel and you pay 3 star prices. If you want everything to be brand new go to a 5 star hotel and pay their prices. The public rooms are lovely and maybe a little worn around the edges but the furnishings are comfortable. Theres a huge open fire on the right as you walk in and its really welcoming. The lounge and bar areas are spacious and have a mini grand piano with lots of seating. The staff are lovely and helpful. The restaurant is lovely and has yet another grand piano and the views are amazing over the Gannel Estuary and Crantock Beach. We didnt have an evening meal but breakfast was everything we could ask for and the service was great. The bedrooms are dated but we didnt go to Cornwall to sit in our room and the view made up for it. Bed was comfy and everything worked, my only issue was that our room was right next to the stair door and everyone seemed to want to stand and chat outside our room so we had some disturbance at night. There was an issue one night with a family being extremely noisy and aggressive allowing their children to play along the corridor at 11pm, but this was reported by another guest and dealt with quickly by the receptionist. This is not a large chain hotel and it shows, its quirky and a bit different and its obvious the staff really care. The location is great and you can walk onto Fistral beach in a couple of minutes and Newquay centre within half an hours stroll, there is plenty of free parking a bowling alley and outdoor pool. Great value for money and a great location.

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the stair doors as they can be noisy
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We spent the night here for a family party. I have got to say when we entered the foyer it all looked very nice. But went down hill from there! We got to the room and was very disappointed. The view was very nice but the balcony had large bits of wood all over it, that looked like it had fallen off the roof. The curtains were hanging off the track in places and did not look clean in general! So much so when we got up in the morning we waited until we got home to have a shower!. We went down to the bar to order a drink before getting ready for the evening, I ordered a pint of Guinness as I saw a stand on the bar which said Guinness on it. It did not occur to me that it did not have a pump until I saw the barman place a empty glass on the stand and head for the fridge! He returned with a can of Guinness and poured it into the glass! I could not believe my eyes! And still charged the same you would expect to pay for a proper draft. After we were ready we went to the party area which was about 3 flights down. It had a bar, dance floor and 4 lanes of bowling which was good fun for the party guests. When the food arrived they put it in a room next door, the walls looked wet and mouldy from damp and again not very clean. In the morning we had a full English breakfast which was nice and all served on hot plates, however the cutlery and side plates were not very clean so I not sure what my plate looked like before they put my breakfast on it! When leaving the hotel walking along the hall I also noticed that one of the plug sockets were hanging out of the wall which I am sure is a health and safety issue. All in all I would not stay here again. Look at the reviews. They all can't be wrong!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andrew O
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We all have to be realistic with ourselves and the hotels we book, before we post damaging reviews on locations that are not trying to be something they clearly aren't.
The Hotel California is one of those places.
Fairly easy to find with decent parking and located right on the banks of an estuary.
The reception area is fantastic. Fire place to the right as you walk in, reception desk to the left with a large bar area, loads of lovely old seats, plenty of wood and stone pillars.
Reception staff were polite, efficient and informative. Almost as if they were genuinely pleased to have our business (unlike large chain hotels).
Our room was small. Quite small actually, but had what we needed for a 1 night stay. Comfy double bed, tea and coffee, hardryer, TV, nice view onto the estuary and bath/shower and WC.
Shower and bath had a mind of their own, but despite a few minutes trying to get it right the end result was still hot water which is ultimately what you want. (Hot water in your bath from these taps is the same hot water that comes from the 5 star hotel down the road really isn't it.)
Reception staff willingly opened the bar for us for a few pints. Nice selection of drinks available there. There's an indoor pool and sauna downstairs. Bit small but we never used it. There's also a bowling alley and club downstairs too. There was a function on the night we stayed but as it's 1 floor below ground and we were 3 floors above we heard nothing.
The bowling alley has a small bar and the guy behind there is jolly and welcoming. We opted for the hotel bar as it was a little quieter but with kids the alley is the ideal place.
Evening meal was fine without being exceptional. Food was nice with a good Wowcher led menu. One criticism was that after we got our free glass of wine the staff never came back and asked us if we wanted water or any more drinks for the entire meal. But it's a young, and I'm guessing inexperienced staff who despite their lack experience were polite and as accommodating as they could be.
Good nights sleep, menu style breakfast with toast and cereals as per most hotels. The full english was smaller than most yet perfect in size as we all tend to over indulge don't we? And it was pretty much perfectly cooked.
No, this place isn't perfect and I could point out the little flaws and things that would probably have annoyed me had I not been with good friends having a great time. But this hotel caters for a certain clientele and it's not the one that frequents the Hilton or even the Holiday Inn.
Don't come to this hotel with a grand vision of oppulence because you'll be disappointed. Rather come to the Hotel California with bed and breakfast in mind but on a larger scale and I'm sure you'll leave feeling that "everything was fine, thanks."
I would stay here again but might upgrade to a larger room. But for 1 night the small double room was fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank wagtail685
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I recently organised an Annual Dinner & Awards Evening for members and supporters of St Newlyn East Brass Band, at the Hotel California, Newquay. We had a brilliant evening! The meal was absolutely delicious and the presentation and service excellent. Hotel proprietor Mr David Jones dealt with my booking personally and nothing was too much trouble for him. The hotel staff were polite and helpful at all times, even assisting me to unload the trophies from my car and setting up the trophy table. The hotel management also donated a number of prizes to our raffle table, which was greatly appreciated. Thank you Hotel California - we will certainly be returning!
Marian Prior (Secretary)