“Not impressed very poor.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Torbay, Uk
“Not impressed very poor.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Booked a three night stay but left next morning what a disappointment, many people give this hotel a high rating, all I can say is they must be easy to please or blind! We booked 2 rooms 109 and 107 the décor is really not very nice, there were nail heads sticking out from the woodwork in places and the décor and furniture was very dated and worn, the wardrobe was dirty, the on-suite was ok the bath was stained the shower head missing but it appeared clean.
The other room our two sons stayed in was also in similar poor condition.
The main entrance is quite grand and the public lounge is ok but dated the views are lovely of the estuary. You cant help but notice parts of the building are quite clearly neglected, gave us the opinion that no money was being spent in on the premises. Didn't fancy the swim pools, though they looked ok.
We stayed b&b and breakfast was poor, dirty cups, cutlery and table clothes had stains on from night before, staff were courteous but some looked a little tardy. Poor selection for continental breakfast cereals in big open steel bowls hygene came to mind, it was just a bit naff, no meats or cheeses or fresh fruit. Cooked breakfast was cheap, one sausage beans one egg one bacon one greasy hash brown tasteless. Was not the worst but could be a lot nicer.
In general with a lot of work this could be a very nice hotel with lovely views, but it desperately needs tlc and a lot of updating, We don't expect 5* but it is not cheap and parts were dirty, staff try hard but some have no idea. Duty manager refused to come and speak to us as he was busy in the dining room? Sums it all up. The reception staff try hard and are very courteous, the night receptionist didn't know what time breakfast was served on Sundays.
In all avoid this hotel unless your really not too fussed about standards and cleanliness.
Not recommended.

Room Tip: I think some of the rooms facing the estuary are probably nicer but more expensive. So avoid the che...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ukrichman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Yes the decor is old fashioned and they could lose the artex walls. The dining room is bright and airy with lovely views over the gannel. It is not as good as the likes of the headland but it is not headland prices so value for money is great. My room was adequate and roomy. Breakfast good with excellent service.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank London59traveller
Hinckley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We just wanted to say what a superb stay we had last week (16 - 19 July).

We have been visiting Newquay now for over 40 years and in that time have stayed in many of the top hotels along the front including the Kilbirnie, Barrowcliff, and the Atlantic, but we have never had such a glorious view from a room as last week.

The welcome was warm and the dogs were made just as welcome as we sand nothing was too much trouble.

Our only regret was that it was only three days, and we shall definately make it our first choice in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandra O
Virum, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed for two nights at this hotel and was so fortunate to have a nice big room with my own balcony overlooking the Gannel. I know from the others in my group that I was 'the lucky one' - and did I enjoy it! The hotel is located in a quiet place with an outstanding view from the balconies, and the lobby and the restaurant area are pleasant.
The staff was friendly and helpful, any problem coming up was dealt with very professionally.

I suffer from coeliac disease and have made it a habit to bring my own bread whenever I am seated for a meal. However when I came down for breakfast I found that the kitchen had ordered glutenfree bread for me. What an unexpected and happy surprise!

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room facing the Gannel
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed for the second time at this hotel July 15th-19th, first stay was 2yrs ago. Our return visit surpassed expectation, we had a relaxed and very pleasurable stay. Reading previous reviews l totally agree with the people who have praised this little gem, and for the critics, if you want 4 or 5 star and entertainment every-night, go find and pay for it!!!! There is nothing wrong with the food, l have had 4 & 5 star that is not as good, and were smaller portions, if you want more, ask for it, the staff were more than obliging and returned with our requests. We ate breakfast, the sausages were fine, bacon was not over salty, there was only one of each food item on the plate, but that was enough for me, my husband asked for extra and got it!!! Dinner was good, 3 courses, and once again if requested,salad or extra potato and veg were given. We ate out one night in a local and famous boutique style establishment and paid an extortionate amount for a smaller portion meal, but just because it was in flash surroundings and flashily named l was not fooled into thinking it was better, in fact " Fur Coat, No Knickers " springs to mind and l felt we had been ripped off, Macdonalds could have done better . As for Hotel California, Yes, the Hotel is becoming tired looking, and there are areas that need attention, and no l didn't find the outside pool area shabby, we used the pool everyday. You can see efforts are being made, and this is a family owned business, it does not have the funding of the big company owned hotels that can, with big budgets, completely refurbish the building overnight. Crisp white bedding, and towels, good food, good price, fantastic views, relaxing atmosphere and lovely staff is what they offer, Hotel and its facilities for B&B rates, they don't claim to be on a par with The Fistral Beach Hotel, so you wont get those sort of surroundings, l for one am glad they are not, l wouldn't be able to afford the prices they could charge, £80 a room pr night is on a par with B&B rates, £120-£188 pr night and you can book the likes of The Fistral Beach. Getting value for money, l'm glad l went for £80 at the Hotel California, Room 11 wasn't as bad as previous reviewer stated , the room and bed were comfortable, balcony was well received, after all do you really intend to stay in the room the whole stay. You could see and hear some of the miserable English guests picking fault over the minutest details, but not willing to say anything to the hotel staff, their nit picking must have been the making of the holiday for them!! Having stayed in quiet a few 3 star hotels, this is a good one with swimming pools, 10 pin bowling, sauna and solarium, snooker and pool tables, a children's playroom, in a quiet, beautiful place, and we will be going back to their warm welcome soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Having read mixed reviews of this hotel I wasn't expecting too much but was generally quite pleasantly surprised. The views are certainly wonderful, the staff are helpful but I agree with some other reviewers that the hotel needs a little TLC. Although the public areas are stunning, the bedroom that I had was rather dated in terms of decor. However it was clean and functional although I would have liked more than two sachets of coffee and two teabags to be provided.

The outdoor pool area was rather shabby and there were several cigarette stubs lying around; when I mentioned this to the staff they said it would be cleaned up but that this was the result of people on the balconies overlooking the pool throwing their cigarettes away! Perhaps guests could be asked to be more considerate if they want to smoke on their balconies!

My room (308) was not the easiest to find? There seem to be various routes to reach the room and I think I found a different way there every time. As the hotel is on different levels this might have been a problem for people with reduced mobility. Perhaps some more signs for rooms would be helpful.

My only other main criticism was the timing of breakfast; I was told that breakfast was served from 8 - 9.30 but as I had a meeting elsewhere at 8 am I was told that they were sorry but those were the times of breakfast. Strangely, at 7.40 there were several people having breakfast and I was informed that they were part of a coach party and they needed to be able to leave promptly. I too needed to leave promptly and grabbed myself some juice and a put of yogurt. For those travellers who aren't part of a coach party, I would suggest that the hotel could be a little more flexible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I would not recommend the room we stayed in. Room 11 which was a long way up a corridor through a fire door which seemed to lead to colder and damper areas of the hotel. It was located directly underneath the dining room on the main floor level and so when kids were running about it was like a heard of elephants were directly overhead! The room was large but decoration was tired, old and poor with a florescent strip light fashioned as a mirror light and bedside tables that were on a slope so things rolled off. The lighting had been very poorly done, gave it a real cheap motel vibe as did the mismatched decoration. The bed was cheap and uncomfortable. The balcony was grubby, they could clean that. They did put a valance on the spare single bed in the corner - it just looked a rough room tbh.

Morning breakfast was very salty bacon and cheap sausages and they appeared to have run out of white bread to toast, despite seeing a member of staff clearly go and look a the basic they didn't refill it. The fruit selection was two very tired looking large metal catering bowls containing a large volume of decanted tinned prunes in one and what looked like citrus fruit pieces in the other that had pips floating about. I didn’t feel comfortable eating my breakfast so left most of it.

The main level of the hotel looks quite nice and comfortable, would be interesting to see the other rooms on different levels, maybe upstairs ones are much better. Curiously they had put up pictures from National Geographic in the dining area which didn't appear to relate to the location which I think is a bit of a strange choice.

When we came back from dinner out the receptionist was being talked to by two guys who had beers in hand and had set themselves up in chairs facing her chatting right in the middle of reception. To be honest I was a little surprised about this. If I was doing her job I would feel pretty uncomfortable about it.

The view overlooking the Gannel and location is outstanding however. Its beautiful. Such a shame, someone could really do a lot with this hotel, it has a lot going for it. It needs a major refurb and some TLC. It could be really successful as a top class hotel considering its location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Newquay hotels