“Excellent service”

The Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a happy hotel. All members of staff are proactive in attending to visitors' needs, unlike some hotels which have a cold and clinical approach to customers. The cuisine is first class and dining room staff are attentive to individual requirements. Rooms are equipped to a high standard. The view over Fistral beach is panoramic. This is by far the best hotel that I have stayed at.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
LauraCameron, General Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Ernest, Thank you for your lovely review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Had read encouraging reviews of this hotel, but was quite disappointed: The bunkbed in our room was coming apart, and had screws sticking out; I notified the front desk of thsi the first morning, and was told that someone would fix things, but two days later upon checkout nothing had been done. Ah yes -- checkout: I was too honest and noted that they had not charged us for the evening meal we had had the first night; much to-ing and fro-ing as they asked what we had eaten, how much had been charged, etc. as if that was my problem When they finally found the food bill, there was no expression of gratitude for my honesty, just typical rude processing of yet another guest. The breakfasts were below average -- improperly cleaned cutlery and glasses, watery coffee, greasy buffet, and the "to order"breakfast they got wrong on both days. The only saving grace was the trainee receptionist, who was extremely helpful and pleasant when we checked in, and at checkout; she obviously hadn't yet been infected by the impersonal, processing colleagues / managers who were training her -- she should be at a much better establishment that deserves her attention to customers. Decent pool, too.

Room Tip: Inspect any bunkbeds for structural integrity before accepting your room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
LauraCameron, General Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Antony,

I was very disappointed to read your review and as I am sure you have noted from other reviews this is not to the normal high standards we pride ourselves on.

As a hotel we encourage constructive criticism and feedback from all of our guests so that we are able to improve and continue delivering the highest service possible, I will ensure that your comments are passed onto all departments for them to review and rectify immediately.

I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations, something that we are very disappointed about and that I did not have the opportunity to speak to you personally. If you have any further comments please feel free to contact me,

Kind Regards,
Laura Cameron

manager@newquay-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the amazing view. We stayed for 2 nights, this April, and it is all we enjoyed. We booked the best room available and had a great view from a balcony overlooking Fistral beach. The standard would be almost up to travellodge standard with a posher bathroom. Shame the panels were splattered with ageing bird poo, although the constant rattling of the patio doors was the worst thing on the first night...we fixed it with a bit of cardboard, reported it, but no-one fixed it whilst we were there. The fancy shower required a degree in plumbing to figure out how to switch on...few do as the mechanism is so stiff I needed help to switch it on and off. The bath...very posh...needed a better clean.... had a blocked drain that a repair man had to come to fix and the heating didn't work...he said he fixed this too, but he didn't. After tinkering with the radiator and telling us it would be fine by the time we returned to sleep in the room...it wasn't. A pleasant receptionist came when we asked for blankets, on our return from the hotel function at 1am, he even offered us a change of room but we had things everywhere and were too tired and fed up to move! Just to add a little more colour, prior to the function, when I was ready to take a shower etc, there was no hot water..the man said the boiler had gone out...after he had fiddled with the taps and returned to our room and let himself in after a cursory knock. We had to wait another 30/45 minutes before there was any hot water. An added extra...I think they need a new hoover...we still had confetti and someone's earring backs on the floor.
We did complain on departure and another pleasant young person listened and said 'sorry, it is one of our best rooms.' That was it. We left in disgust. If you still feel tempted to stay, beware the toasters at breakfast, even the staff find them a challenge. Food, you may ask? Very average, at best. Good portions and friendly waiters is about all I can say.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, ask for a balcony room with a view of Fistral Beach.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank heatherogburn
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the beginning of April.
The lobby of the hotel is nice and light and modern and so is the bar. The staff welcome you and were very friendly. You can have a coffee and sit in the comfortable chairs looking over the beach and watch the surfers. The dining room is very spacious and very clean. When we got to our room it was quite modern with excellent views. Unfortunately as soon as we unpacked some kid in the room above decided to play trampoline on the bed. I don't like to complain but we came to relax and we didn't want to put up with noise. Anyway, the staff couldn't do enough to rectify the problem and we were offered another room. It is a family hotel, something I didn't really think about when booking. The staff were very apologetic even though it wasn't their fault.
Every member of staff was friendly. I can't understand some comments on here that say they weren't. Perhaps they expect people to walk round with cheesy smiles on their faces all the time. They were very helpful and made conversation, especially the Bar Manager and his staff. The breakfast staff were also good. They rallied round making sure people had what they wanted.
We only had breakfast, but it was very good. Traditional breakfast, as well as fruit, cereals and lovely pastries, all fresh and plenty of them.
The location is great. Having stayed in Newquay several times I was a little concerned about the distance to walk into town, but it really is only about a fifteen minute walk. You can cross the road and go down some steps and you're on Fistral beach. Lewinnick Lodge bar and restaurant is a pleasant 20 minute walk and the views are amazing, so is the beer and the food.
If I was going to be picky I would only say that the two bedrooms I saw could really do with a little redecoration. But this hotel is definitely a three star hotel.
Overall it's a great place to stay and we will return and we would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nsimster
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here overall. The public areas were nicely decorated and pleasant. However, the staff were not terribly friendly and tended to chat mongst themselves a bit too much. We booked a Family Room with a sea view. It was brilliant - great view as promised, spacious and clean. The evening entertainment was a bit dire though, and drove us out of the hotel. The swimming pool was good to have but could really have done with some lockers to leave your clothes in while you swim.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BucksRazz
LauraCameron, General Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall but disappointed that you didn't receive the high standard of service that we expect from all of our team. We are looking to put some lockers in the changing areas in the near future and hope to see you again soon

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I wanted a proper holiday for my family during the second week of Easter (no cooking or washing up for me!), so booked a family room with bed, breakfast and dinner. The website was good and thankfully the hotel lived up to it! I needn't have worried!
The hotel had everything we could have wanted, and more! The room we stayed in was a good size with good storage and bunk beds for the kids (3 and 5 year old) - good and functional. We had patio doors that opened onto the kids outdoor play area - the kids were in their element and outside on it as often as they could allowing my husband and I a coffee and chat! We opted for non sea view room, but you could just see it out of our room anyway. The bathroom was a little dated but I don't see that as a problem as long as everything works and is clean and tidy. Only downside was the bath which was a jacuzzi bath which I don't know if it worked or not, but the water jet holes are very inviting for little fingers! A standard bath would be better for a family room in my opinion.
We ate far too well this week - our powers of resistance were futile against the wonderful breakfast spread of full cooked English, pastries, cereal and yoghurts etc! The croissants were a little dry on a couple of mornings, but that is the only complaint I have. The 3 course evening meal was changed on a daily basis and was inviting and tasty!! The kids menu was good and they also offered small portions of the adults menu which I liked. So everyone was very happy and well fed. The waiting staff brought crayons and pictures to colour at every meal which was brilliant. The kids also had a bedtime story under the door every night which was a lovely touch.
A very friendly hotel with soft indoor play area for the kids, child friendly swimming pool and kids activities each day too (thanks Charlotte!)! So glad it wasn't one of those tacky hotels doing adult entertainment in the evenings!!!
Location was brilliant being a stones throw from Fistral Beach - fabulous views out of the front windows! All in all a fantastic holiday at a super hotel with brilliant staff and great food - what more could we want?! Thanks to all at The Esplanade - We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 301, 302 and 303 have direct access from the room via patio doors to the kids outdoor play are...
2  Thank Hopscotch2468

We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for your lovely review. We are so pleased that you managed to enjoy a lovely family holiday with no washing up in sight!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend with the family. The Esplanade has to be the best hotel I have stayed in when considering its position (overlooking Fistral Beach). I never tired of sitting on the comfy chairs in the lounge area - just perfect. The hotel room was a family room with a double bed and a fold out sofa. The room was very roomy though a little dated it served its purpose as somewhere to lay our heads and was extremely clean. What was a nice touch was the bedtime story that was pushed under our door each evening, never seen that before but the kids loved it. The public areas - restaurant, lounge, bar and swimming pool are excellent. The breakfast was a serve yourself, again excellent as you could eat as much as you liked!!!! Would I stay at this hotel again ? - defo if I am down in that area again.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel - pity as the rooms at the front would have had an excellent v...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

We look forward to seeing you again soon and would like to thank you for leaving a review after your stay with us