“A bit of old school”
Review of Cliffdene Hotel

Cliffdene Hotel
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I kept thinking of "Faulty Towers" during my stay, (1 week late September) and not in a bad way !
A welcome change from international chain style hotels.
The Cliffdene ticked all my boxes, and the staff were perfectly happy to help me in many ways.
A need a good breakfast, and got one every time. Loved the endless tea, coffee, milk and sugar in the room. Newquay's still a decent spot for a break, liking your work Cliffdene.

Room Tip: I stayed in 2 of the cheaper ones, both a bit different. The 2nd one had wi-fi available !
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank ROBERT R
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a favourable review of our hotel on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Cliffdene Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. On behalf of the team thank you for sharing your experience and for speaking highly of us.

Once again thank you for your kinds words and I look forward to welcoming you back to Newquay in the near future.

Bernie Korycki (Basil)

There are newer reviews for Cliffdene Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Warm and helpful reception on arrival. Good breakfast. Friendly staff. Good view from the back over to the Zoo area. Hope to stay there again in the not too distant future. In good position overlooking Tolcarne Beach and not too far for a stroll into Newquay town centre.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ecclesUk
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a favourable review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay and for awarding us full marks. This is very much appreciated and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time in Newquay.

We certainly hope to see you again in the future.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Two of us, young and old were sent to this hotel from another when there was no room at the Inn, haha, and most of the staff were very kind, so no complaints there, and there was an excellent view from the room that we were placed in, but our necks and backs were in pain after each night while we were sleeping in this hotel to the point that I did tell the manager that the hotel which took over this building, should consider investing in new mattresses. Many of the amenities that are available down the street and over a few blocks into the city for less depending on the season, were not available at this hotel.

Room Tip: A room with a view (just like the famous novel title)
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Cliffdene Hotel. On the whole it does appear that you had an enjoyable stay and I certainly hope to see you return again in the future.

Please be assured that I appreciate all feedbacks and your comment about the mattress has not gone unnoticed. Since you stayed with us we have changed beds and mattresses in some bedrooms.
However, I do apologise if you had a bit of a sleepless night. I'm sure that when you return next time you will have a lovely sleep.

Once again thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We received a warm welcome from the manager on arrival. This hotel has every facility for a lovely break. A great room with a wonderful sea view. Clean and comfortable throughout.
The breakfast was great with very good service. All of the staff are friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. We felt very comfortable throughout our stay.and would certainly go there again. A very happy stay indeed.

Room Tip: You can ask for anything not too hand, that you require, or tell them anything further you require...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret D
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay in Newquay. I am delighted that you felt we were worthy of receiving full marks, giving us 5 out of 5. This is very much appreciated. I certainly hope you may decide to stay with us again.
In the meantime, thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cliffdene Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

As a hen party we found it difficult for somewhere to accomodate us all, luckily the cliffdene did it was a lovely hotel with comfy beds and a brilliant breakfast service. upon arrival our rooms were ready early which was great as we arrived at 10:30am ! all of the staff were very friendly and helpful minus the barman who kept getting the orders wrong but he did correct them once told which was helpful. i would definietly reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting a short stay in newquay ! well done to all the staff for making our stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bryony888

Thank you for taking the time to write a very nice review of our hotel following your recent stay in Newquay. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will pass your comments onto the team and hope to be able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Well upon arrival me and my husband were greeted with a very smelly breathed receptionist so much so my husband had to step back! (not a great first impression) We then got handed out room key walked upstairs on the thin loose carpet which could easily be slipped on so this needs to be addressed! to our room which was very stale and musty smelling we then had a look around to find a pubic hair on the sink and two more in the shower! the bonus we did have a sea view just about visible through a dirty window one of our lights didn't work and the tv was very limited and awful reception! The smell was becoming rather disgusting and due to being pregnant was worsened! so we actually went a bought a plug in which soon solved that problem. we were right above the entrance to the hotel so could smell cigarette smoke and people coming in and out all night! and to top it off we then had some extremely inconsiderate drunken clowns next door to us who decided to bang around until silly o clock in the morning!! Not that sleeping on a spring mattress that had seen better days was bad enough but being woken up every hour as well! breakfast was ok cooked well but extremely small portion that even my toddler would be left hungry I cannot comment On dinner as we ate out. What the hotel needs is some tlc and some updating and for the cleanliness issues to be sorted as the halls were filthy we stayed for a long weekend and not once were they hoovered there was mess everywhere! All I can say is me and my husband had an experience and made the best out of the situation but wouldn't reccommend unless the hotel is given the care it so desperately needs!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Aims12
BernieKorycki01, General Manager at Cliffdene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to our hotel. I am of course very disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience. I have already discussed your review with my team in order to rectify any shortcomings that may have existed during your stay. Please be assured that we normally deliver a very high level of service with professionalism. This is very much highlighted in the number of compliments that we recieve from our guests and also on online reviews such as those on Tripadvisor.
Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board. Please also accept my apologies for any shortcomings that you experienced.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

we have just come back from a 4 night coach holiday staying at the Cliffdene Hotel in Newquay and was pleasantly surprised after reading negative reports.Yes i agree its not 5 star but we did not expect it to be as we did not pay 5 star prices.We had room 10 overlooking the beach which was a fantastic view and we had no complaints with the food and finished every meal.All the staff were very pleasant which added to our enjoyment.Well done every one at the hotel. we will return again.
Rosemarie King Gloucestershire.

Room Tip: Room 10 was a large room with an adequate shower room and small balcony with 2 chairs and a fab sea...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rose770

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a favourable review of our hotel following your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will certainly pass your comments onto the team. It is very encouraging to read that you would like to return again. We do always try to provide our guests with a high level of service to ensure that they do visit us again. Hopefully we will see you return many times in the future.
Once again thank you for your kind words and please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance. In the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back to Newquay in the very near future.