“Absolutely ace lessons...”

Big Green Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: At Big Green Surf School we pride ourselves in giving loads of personal attention in the water to ensure you're getting the most out of your surfing. We specialise in small groups (max 6 with 1 coach), simple and achievable techniques for all abilities, the best equipment available, incredibly passionate & experienced coaches as well as 2 of the best locations available for your Surf or SUP experience. You can now find us in Newquay at Base Surf Lodge where we can offer fantastic Surf & Stay packages at great prices, as well as our new base over at the National Trust's Crantock Beach where we are the only surf school! Perfect to find some quiet space during the busy peak summer. Come and join us and see what all the fuss is about!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Myself and my friend were recommended to book with the Big Green Surf School and we're so glad we were. Dale was a great instructor and managed to get us both standing on day one, and we were so much better by the end of the second lesson. I'd been to a couple of lessons prior to this but the way everything was explained made it all click so much easier...I really can't complement Dales teaching skills enough - lots of info in a really straightforward way and it was just so much fun. I got my first proper wave and can't wait to get back in the water...If you're surfing in Newquay go surfing with the Big Green Surf School!
We didn't get to stay at the Base Surf Lodge this time (where the school is based) but it looked ace and everyone was really friendly so hopefully we'll be stopping there soon enough!

BigGreenSurfSchool, Owner at Big Green Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thanks so much for the kind words mate - you guys were a real pleasure to teach - hopefully see you again soon and fingers crossed we won't be full up at the lodge so we can fit you in! Well done girls!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Learning to surf at the Big Green Surf School was a great experience. Within minutes of Dale teaching us we were on the board dodging the floundering other newbies who were in the much larger groups taught by schools owned by the big brand names, and we seemed to be having a lot more fun. Dale's teaching style was top class and he wasn't saitsified until I was improving. Expert advice and expert tips, and to top it off, he has a degree in surfing! - thats commitment. Highly recommended.

Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thanks so much for the review dude - you guys did brilliantly, get back down here soon and we'll get you ripping even harder haha!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

An all round well run operation; good quality equipment, great location, superb Instruction, and really welcoming. I would definitely book again!

BigGreenSurfSchool, Owner at Big Green Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Really glad you enjoyed it mate, look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed June 6, 2012

It was my second attempt to stand up on a surf board and this time I did much better with all great support and useful advice and positiveness of Dale the instructor. Last year I did a 5 day surfing course in France so I new few bits and pieces and could stand a little. This year I was eager to progress and do at least 5-8 lessons within a week.
I did a bit of research before choosing a surfing school and they were the only shcool that offered a flexible schedule for a sole surfer which suited me perfectly.I could join in whenever I could even if there were just two of us in a group. Most of the time in fact (it was May, low season yet) there were just two of us in a group and Dale noticed all mistakes and slight head moves that went wrong which greatly influence my move.Very clear instructions and loads of cheering for clumsy students like me.The lodge where you change in the wetsuit is comfy and is just 5 minute walk from the beach. Very good price as well. All in all, great trainig, perfect instructor and priceless experince.

BigGreenSurfSchool, Owner at Big Green Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

You did so well mate, look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I seriously couldn't recommend The Big Green Surf School enough....
ive been surfing for 3 years and not progressed at all, ive had a few lessons at different surf schools and none came anywhere close to the quality of Dale's lesson. Within 2 hours Dale had corrected all of my bad habits and i was progressing nicely to the bottom turn.
Dales attention to detail and expertise in coaching were outstanding, the small group size meant that you got a one to one coaching experience which can make a massive difference when learning to surf. I will definetly be returning for further lessons. Quote of the lesson "LOOK UP NOT DOWN"
We also stopped a Base Surf Lodge which is tied with the Surf School, great place to stop with a group of friends. Rob the owner was super chilled out and very friendly.
All in All perfect weekend.

BigGreenSurfSchool, Owner at Big Green Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Thanks so much for the kind words mate, it was an absolute pleasure and it's great to see you enjoying your surfing so much! Look forward to seeing you again in the summer!