“fab meal, service & atmosphere”
Review of The Mexican Cantina - CLOSED

The Mexican Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Restaurant is on first floor, cocktail bar on GF
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“fab meal, service & atmosphere”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were a group of 5 'ladies', having an evening out! The greeting was friendly, the service was brilliant, the food was great. We had cocktails, a varied selection from the menu, which was all hot, quick and delicious. The waiters were very friendly, helpful and informative. We then had shots and chilli tequila! WOW how hot was that! We had a great night, a really welcoming atmosphere, so much so, that we returned the next evening!!

• Visited September 2013
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your great review and I am pleased you all enjoyed your evenings with us. We look forward to welcoming you beck next time you are in Newquay.

Newquay, United Kingdom
“POOR VALUE!!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Over priced food and over priced drinks ie £6 for a glass of white wine with lemonade! A pint of soda and blackcurrent £2.60!! 3 soggy taco's,with side salad and rice like Uncle Bens £11.95! Food was served lukewarm with no flavour, couldn't pick taco's up due to them being so soggy. The only good thing I can think of to say about the Mexican Cantina was the service of the Spanish waiter who was friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I won't be going back again!

• Visited September 2013
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your meal with us. I do wish you had spoken either to your waiter or preferably to the duty manager. I know you will have been asked, about five minutes after receiving your meal, if everything was alright for you. If you tell us at the time that there is a problem we will try to rectify it immediately for you - to complain on TripAdvisor allows us no chance of putting things right for you.
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
“Great Food, atmosphere & price!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

As other reviewers have said from outside it does not look too tempting to go in but once upstairs in the restaurant you are greeted by friendly staff and a pleasant atmosphere. We sat to have a few drinks before our meal which was very relaxing and we were served immediately after ordering. We particularly enjoyed and recommend a bottle of Fresita (hand picked strawberry sparkling wine) and the cocktails. Once seated at our table we were served quite quickly considering the restaurant was busy and there were 4 of us eating different items off the menu. Everyone enjoyed their meals very much, the food was delicious and we would visit again. Very good service and not to mention clean!

Visited December 2012
Thank you for your great review and I am pleased you enjoyed your meal with us. We look forward to seeing you again.
“Waste of money”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We went here on a weekday, the decor was ok, tables look like batteries tables I had a school, cutlery was horrid..the waiter was lovely, however there was no atmosphere, the food was edible but nothing I couldn't whip up in five minutes (and better) my family my glass of wine was £5.90, my aunts blackcurrent and soda was £2.60 I come from Newquay but live in Bournemouth; drinks don't even cost this where i live! So disappointed as I love Mexican food, none of my party liked there dinner. Very disappointing.

• Visited September 2013
I am sorry that you were disappointed in your meal with us. I am surprised that you disliked our décor, most of our customers feel it is part of the ethos of our restaurant. I know that drinks these days are expensive and if you were to drink in the majority of the restaurants in Newquay you will find the prices are similar. I am also sorry that you found the food only edible however I am pleased that our waiter met with your approval.
“Food was good but very expensive and not half as good as Señor Dicks!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We came as a party of 9 and had high expectations of the restaurant as it has such good reviews! The nachos were a great starter - would recommend them to anyone but the mixed meats for £12 something was a rip off as was our tiny mushroom starter for £6. My family very much enjoyed the enchiladas but the fajitas had way too many onions in them! Overall there was a lot of flavour in the food but it was overpriced for what you got. Staff were friendly. I wish I could give 3.5 stars as it was in between average and good. Personally I'll be going to señor dicks in future as the atmosphere there is a lot better and the food is worth the money

• Visited September 2013
mfbSWEngland, Manager at The Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed the majority of your meal. We only use fresh authentic ingredients which unfortunately has sometimes to be reflected in the price. I am sorry the ambience of our restaurant did not live up to your expectations but we are pleased that you found our staff friendly.