“A PROPER hotel”

Best Western Hotel Bristol
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I stayed here along with some colleagues for a few days - arrived at 11:30 at night after a seven hour drive and the night porter couldn't have been more helpful! He even opened the (now-closed) bar for me to have a beer after my drive. The rooms may be somewhat dated in decor but they are spotless, warm and comfortable. I would love to stay here again, and really recommend it, excellent value for money!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve-In-Cott
There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel Bristol

Reviewed October 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I decided to go on a surfing trip for a one night stay. After looking at availability I came across this hotel. I thought at £119 for B&B it wasn't bad so I booked it. I had a look on trip advisor and saw some reviews, which kind of made me think I had made a mistake.

Well the reviews couldn't have been further from the truth. We had a fabulous time. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. Then when trying to find our room the housekeepers were more than helpful.

When we were told our room was on the third floor I was a bit dubious but when I saw it I was amazed. Although it was on the third floor, ours was the only room there. This really made up for having to trek up lots of flights of steps, knowing that no one else was next to us.

I could tell the hotel wasn't used to surfers or young people, as we were the youngest of all the residents. However they were very understanding that we were in Newquay to surf. It was also nice knowing we were the youngest as it meant that there would be no loud drunk groups being rowdy in the bar and disturbing everyone.

The breakfast in the morning was very yummy. They had choices of continental, full English and cereals. All the waiting staff were friendly and helpful.

The only thing I would say negative was that the carpets in the halls needed updating. But compared to everything else, which was more than satisfactory, I can't complain about some old looking carpets.

Overall we had a fantastic time and when we go to Newquay again we are definitely going to be staying at the Hotel Bristol!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lauraamy5
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We booked this hotel last minute for the bank holiday weekend. I travelled down to Newquay with my 2 male friends and myself. We picked this hotel as it was the only one available as it was Run to the Sun weekend and all hotels had already sold out. We paid £69.00 for a single room and £140 for a twin room. Which we felt wasn't a bad cost as it did include breakfast.

We called ahead to say that we would be checking in at 10 pm due to Traffic down to Newquay holding us up. We spoke to a very helpful lady who told us it wouldn't be a problem and that she'd inform the night porter who was on duty.

On arriving at the hotel, we located the hotel car park which is a short walk around the corner from the hotel with plenty of parking spaces (this is a free carpark if you are a guest, they will give you a ticket to display in the car to stop clamping).

We headed to the hotel and walked passed a man in a High viz jacket standing at the entrance. I smiled but got no response or even acknowledge us. We walked up to the reception desk and waited to check in. The same man who was standing at the door walked around the desk and didn't utter a word or raise a smile. We told him we wanted to check in to the hotel. We presume he was the night porter. I felt his "welcome" was not want you'd expect from a hotel, I appreciate it was late evening but the price of the hotel you do expect a warm welcome or at least a hello. The first impression is always one you keep of a hotel, this one did not live up to expectations.

My single room was on the 2nd floor at the very end. It was very small, to be honest so small I could touch both walls with my arms outstretched. The bed itself was a single bed which is fine as you're paying for a single room so it’s to be expected. Although, I am a slim woman who is 5"7' in height and I found it particularly difficult to sleep in the bed as my feet overhung the end and there was not a lot of room to turn over. I can’t imagine this would be great if you’re a tall well built man.

The sheets, decor and carpet were very old fashioned and dated, Very pink and something your grandma may own. However, there were positives in the fact that the room had a brand new flat screen TV with free view channels, good tea/coffee making facilities and a very nice and modern bathroom of a reasonable size. The room itself was very clean with a good amount of towels, shampoo, soap, sewing kit and shower cap which is nice to have these little extras.

My friends room was on the 3rd floor and it was a lot larger with a double bed, a brand new flat screen TV with free view channels, good tea/coffee making facilities. However, they did not have a nice bathroom and it was clear that it was in need of modernisation.

When we asked questions of the night porter such as are there any places to go for a drink/food, he looked upon us like we were beneath him and muttered that it was “full of people getting off their faces in town and that kind of madness”. Not very helpful or polite! We felt as we were young he judged us as being young/rowdy people which couldn’t have been further from the truth we are all professionals who work within the travel industry who were on a weekend away to check out Newquay and what it had to offer.

The hotel bar shuts rather early as they don’t like people drinking on the premises or inviting people who aren’t guests to drink in the bar, which we thought was difficult as we had friends staying in neighbouring hotels. I can appreciate the reasons behind these rules are security related but does make you feel like a child. After this encounter, we made our own way into the town centre which is literally 5-10 mins walk (depending if you’re wearing heels!), It’s very close to all the bars/clubs/shops/restaurants so is perfect if you’re looking for a central hotel although this hotel is promoted towards families rather than groups of young people, they do not accept hen/stag parties. The beaches are also not very far away. The hotel itself overlooks a lovely beach and seating area.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to sample breakfast as it's served quite early considering you don't have to vacate your room till 11 am. Please note that this is not refunded so make sure you get down to Breakfast on time.

I feel the hotel itself is very good, the location is perfect and I would recommend this hotel to an older couple or family. The only downside is the one member of staff that we encountered during our stay which is shame as we only stayed one night and this has left an everlasting impression. I would say give it a go but not if you’re looking for a boozy weekend away, you’re probably best staying in one of the many hostels in Newquay as they are better at handling these types of groups.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raquelle15
Reviewed April 27, 2010

It's a tired old hotel, a bit stuck in the past. The reception staff were a little stuffy, but at breakfast we were served quickly and efficiently, with a smile.
My hotel room was at the rear of the hotel, overlooking the (free) car park. A digital TV was provided, and the bathroom was clean and relatively modern.
It was ok for one night, but I wouldn't want to stay there long...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank housefamilyUK
Reviewed February 16, 2010

The staff is very kind, excellent kitchen, clean rooms, car park on the rear side and close to the town centre. The Owner speaks also german.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Engineer1972
Reviewed February 3, 2010

The Bristol is let down massively with its tired decor.
On the plus side it has good staff, high standards of cleanliness, a free carpark, a TV with all the Freeview channels.
But the decor and the rooms really do need some investment. The pictures in my room were the most depressing, faded and miserable things I've ever come across. The artwork on the stair case also looked like something which you'd find left at a car boot sale after everyone had gone home. I cant believe that these would cost much to replace with something, if not more contemporary, at least not so tired.
And what is it with the hotel and net curtains????? Every window has a net curtain. So even in the breakfast room you're robbed of what I imagine would be a lovely view because there's a blummin' net hanging there.
The hotel just needs someone with a fresh pair of eyes to go in and advise them. After the paintings and the nets, they should mention the Guest Directory - the line "Only well behaved children under 4 are accommodated in the Restaurant for Dinner at 7.15pm" is a jaw dropper.
This hotel will eventually close if some internal investment is not made soon. All along the same road in Newquay new modern hotels are going up and old ones closing or demolished. This would be a shame because from the outside the building looks brilliant.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I stayed in this hotel as part of a large group.

It has obviously been added onto many times, as the room I was in was a long walk from reception. There is a lot of walking up and down on each floor, so if you have mobility issues, ask for a room near the lifts. I was in a family room, which had a smaller children's room off the main room. The bedrom was okay, but nothing special. Other people in the group had sea facing bedrooms and said that they were very nice.

Mostly the hotel had a slightly tired air, including the slightly dingy swimming pool.

The one oustanding part was the dining room. It was huge and looked wonderful. There were ample staff so we all got served promptly and they even put hot cooked food onto hot plates, so it stayed hot for longer.

The hotel is a short walk to the centre of Newquay, so in a quiet location.

• Stayed: May 2009