“Pleasant seaside hotel”

Best Western Hotel Bristol
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Old fashioned seaside hotel but well maintained.
staff extremely helpful.Rooms comfortable and food very good with local ingredients.
This Hotel is to be recomended for any sort of stay very handy for cliff walks and handy fo beach and seafront.Also not too far to town centre..

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.Stunning to wake up to.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It must be ten years since we last stayed at this hotel. We shouldn't have left it that long.
On arrival (in late December) the hotel felt somewhat cold, it seems they had only re-opened that day. Our bedroom was cold, however, a word with Reception and they brought up a couple of small radiators to warm it up, bliss!
The service in the restaurant was very good, wine list varied and reasonably priced. The food?
As good as any that you will find in expensive London establishments, truly scrumptious and beautifully presented.
Things to do -a re-furb on the swimming pool.
We have already decided to return in the summer.

Room Tip: Just ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rickingrays
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is the families second New Years celebrations at The Bristol and yet again a brilliant time was had by all the family (fifteen of us, four generations). The hotel is a credit to the Young family and Howard certainly has a fantastic team behind him who really made our stay special. The food was excellent and the entertainment that was put on each evening was superb and suited all ages in the family. The rooms are clean and very comfortable, I would recommend an up grade to a sea front as the views are breat taking. Hopefully the Great British family holiday will return and in doing so The Bristol should be the top of everyones list. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Up grade to a Sea View Suite
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Froogles
BWHB, Managing Director at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thanks for your review. Great to hear you all had a fantastic time again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Excellent value hotel. Only a few mins walk from all Newquay has to offer. Beautiful sea views and nice size rooms. Some areas of the hotel are a but dated but nothing too bad. Hotel and rooms were very clean and well presented. Service was excellent

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank minimin
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed 5 nights half board this November. We cannot praise staff , comfort, food and room highly enough. Others have criticised the decor! We feel that it fitted the style and period of the building perfectly but also included all modern conveniences and up to date ensuite bathrooms. The weather was not very good but all the rooms were beautifully warm and comfortable.
We have stayed in many different hotels, both large and small, in this country and in France and Italy, and are perfectly happy to spend generously as long as we get good value for money. The Bristol Hotel is as good as any and better than most! We have stayed there before and hope to visit many more times .
We haven't given any rating to the spa, we didn't try it

Room Tip: Go for sea view rooms with bay windows
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for 10 days from the end of October through the first week of November. We were a little bit hesitant when arriving because the initial appearance of the hotel is... old. Like turn of the century antique old. Many of the carpets don't match, there are many cracks and peeling wood and paint throughout and the stairs squeak like my great-grandmother's home.

However the manner in which we were greeted and treated throughout the week made all of that irrelevant. I've never been the recipient of British Hospitality but this experience has certainly made the rest of the hotel world appear brutish and insensitive.

We were able to eat at the hotel only on a few occasions, but what we had was excellent and again, the service was also excellent.

One of my only complaints was the internet, which for 10 days was a constant test of patience. Always a very poor connection (despite a repeater being two doors down the hall from me) and more often than not the internet wouldn't work at all for several minutes at a time. My baseline test for internet is typically whether or not I can skype home and in this case I couldn't even voice-only skype. We resorted to chat only and even that would cut out often. I can see this type of quality 10 years ago when wifi internet was fledgling but nowadays there should be no excuse.

Another complaint, and typical of hotels this old, was the lack of available power outlets. Thankfully, because of my work, I had brought along a power strip so I was able to plug in my laptop, and my phones without having to choose which to sacrifice.

Lastly was the bathroom. I hate the half doors I see on many shower/tubs. It never completely blocks the shower spray and so you end up with wet floors or soaked towels on the floor. I will also never understand the separate hot and cold taps. It just doesn't make any sense no matter how you look at it. Then the toilet... I apologize if this comes across as a taboo topic, but it was nearly impossible to flush. I thought I was the only one but then one by one my colleagues began confessing too that it was taking upwards of 6 flushes to get everything down, and even then some were unsuccessful. Just absolutely ridiculous. About halfway through my stay there I resorted to only using the hotel room toilet if absolutely necessary, otherwise I used the restroom at our place of business while in Newquay.

Because of the persistence of those last annoyances (the bathroom and the internet) and the overall age of the hotel, I have only given the hotel an average rating. To end on a good note however, the hotel was right by the central restaurant district and right above the beach. If you love surfing, this is an excellent place to stay. We never drove to our evening meals as everything was a short walk away and the Newquay airport (if this is how you're arriving) was only a short 7 minute drive out of town. All in all, not a horrible place to stay but you may be able to find better... though I doubt if you'll find better service.

Room Tip: There are both Ocean view Rooms as well as back alley rooms. The ocean view rooms are right over a m...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
BWHB, Managing Director at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us.

It's great to hear that you found excellent food & service during your stay. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in our maintenance. You will no doubt appreciate that our old building requires constant attention and we endeavour to keep up with any deficiencies. We are in the process of planning a major refurbishment. Our free wifi system was upgraded last year and we do our utmost to assist guests with connection issues.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business reasons for three nights and agree with Linderbyshire - the standards of service are traditional and very high. I arrived to friendly and helpful service at reception and was given room 241. This room is massive and overlooks the sea which was wonderful. I hate feeling hemmed in, in a small room, when anywhere for longer than a night. The thing that let it down was the outdated décor and furniture and lack of available desk space for working. Having said that, I knew full well that it was a holiday hotel rather than a business hotel so made the most of what I had. I appreciate that the building is old (and also rather magnificent. I have to say) but that is no reason not to update the furniture and the bathroom suites. My mirror had large patches of rust on it and the bath had definitely seen much better days.

There is some disturbance from road noise in room 241 but given that I was out for most of the day this wasn't a problem for me. It may be for others. I found that by 11.00pm, it was quite quiet and it didn't disturb my sleep.

My evening meals were either taken in the bar or the dining room and the food was excellent, although the menu was a little pedestrian and a little on the pricey side. I enjoyed my evening in the bar, chatting to the lady who was serving - she made me feel very welcome and a little less self-conscious about being there alone. My table in the restaurant was tucked away from the large parties and most of the other diners which I appreciated - as said previously, I sometimes feel self-conscious when alone and not in a business-type hotel so I didn't feel on display. The service at dinner was of very high standard.

Due to early morning starts, I only ate breakfast in the hotel once and this was the one time I felt that service was lacking and my little table away from the crowds worked against me. After I had been shown to the table, I was largely ignored as I was away from the crowd. After waiting for about ten minutes, I gave up any hope of being offered coffee and approached a waitress who took my order - the high standard of service was resumed after that point.

There are leisure facilities available at the hotel but they are tucked away and there was nobody around. I never did find the gym and was loathe to use the swimming pool as it was down some very steep steps, smelt musty and it all felt a little bit spooky because of the lack of people! Clearly, I am just a wimp :0) Sadly the beautician was nowhere to be seen either and I could have seriously done with a head and neck massage after the 6 hour drive to get there.

Overall my stay was very pleasant and I would recommend it for a short leisure break. My rating is 4* because of the staff, otherwise I would have rated it as a 3* - it really needs a revamp.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We were very pleased To learn you enjoyed your stay and in particular the high standard of service. We are currently planning a major refurbishment to address the other issues you raised. We hope you will return soon.