“Good base for coast path”

Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
London
“Good base for coast path”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a grand old hotel dating from 1897 with wide corridors, an impressive staircase, plush blue carpeting and lots of old photographs of bygone days. The bright, airy restaurant has a lovely view across the bay. I had a nice room with a bath as well as a shower. The hotel makes a good base for walking the coast path between Padstow and Perranporth with the bus stop for services in both directions less than 100 yards from the door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Myself and my husband were a party of 8 family members that travelled to Newquay to attend our neices wedding. I booked the hotel on line after consulting with the rest of our party.
We were all delighted with the Hotel. It was very central to everthing all within walkind distance.
The lounge area was very spacious and comfortable.
The dining area was the same overlooking the sea. The breakfasts and the evening meal were outstanding. Our bedrooms were also spacious and comfortable.The hotel also had an indoor swimming
pool which I used before breakfast everymorning.
We would definately use the Hotel again should we need to go back to Newquay.

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel overlooking the sea
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night due to a family wedding reception held on the premesis. We paid £120.00 for a family room with full english breakfast and it was well worth the money. The bedroom was massive and accomodated all four of us easily in a double and two single beds. The bathroom was also a large size and looked liked it had been recently renovated. Both were spotlessly clean and comfortable

The hotel tries to be very grand and only a couple of things let it down really. The furniture in the bedroom is all mahogoney and is badly scratched and battered and in desperte need of replacing. However, there was plenty of hanging and drawere space. The second down fall was the speed of service for our food both during the wedding reception and breakfast the next day. BUT, when it did arrive, it was very tasty and then portion size was adequate.

Breakfast consisted of pastries and croissants, hot and cold drinks, yoghurts and fruits and the full cooked breakfast. We were quite impressed.

As we were there for just one night, we did not use any other faciliies.

We weere also impressed with how friendly and polite all the staff were too. Well done to them!

Would I stay here again? Yes. Now we have found this hotel, we would go for a smaller and cheaper room when just my wife and I go to Cornwall to visit family nad will stay a bit longer.

Room Tip: If staying overnight, don't go for the expensive sea view rooms. Our town view room had a side s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank duncanandali
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Very slow evening meal service 2 & 1/2 hours for meal long wait between courses. We got that fed up of waiting. People want to go out in Newquay not sat around waiting for the next course to arrive. Complaints to hotel manager the reply was we ain't a fast food place. Dead right you ain't been in the travel trade now for 41 year fairly poor service no portage, pigeon crap on window cills. Sort your hotel out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I got a deal on groupon for a two night stay with continental breakfast for 99 pounds. It was a great deal. We got a beautiful spacious room with a clean bathroom in perfect condition. I loved the old charm. We also had access to the massive balcony overlooking the sea front. It was one of the most charming places I've ever visited. I'm not sure wether I'd be able to afford the full price though. I'm glad we could go with groupon.
The dinner we had there was delicious and the atmosphere of the restaurant spectacular. I am very pleased with the Victorian charm they reinvented there.

Would definitely recommend to people who are looking for this kind of place rather than those who want the standardised nothing-to-see hotels where you just go to sleep. Hotel victoria gives so much more.

About the swimming facilities, changing rooms were freezing cold and everything was a bit older so if you expect a spa in your hotel I'd choose a different one.

Overall very satisfied.

• Stayed February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were looking for some authentic British place to stay in Cornwall, and Hotel VIctoria did not disappoint us in that sense! The building itself (built in thte late 19th century), grand traditional victorian interiors of the halls, restaurants and public areas are absolutely lovely, much better looking in real life than on some of the pictures. Location is great too - very central yet right next to the beach with stunning ocean views.

Hotel management have also made a real effort to make it a family place. All of us, our two-year old son included, truly enjoyed their lovely spa complex with a warm swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and a steam room. They also had organized free family movie shows in the Ocean View Bar each night over a weekend - absolutely priceless idea for families with little children who are not always capable to sit through a feature film in a real cinema, as it gives that vital freedom of movement and a much more casual and cozy atmospere.

On the flip side - the former granduer of the hotel has visibly deteriorated over the years. You could describe room furnishings as shabby chic with shabby prevailing the chic big time - some of the furniture, although nice and vintage looking, was somewhat falling apart (literally). It wasn't too irritating though as there's still something very special about that place which makes you forgive all those little imperfections...

On another note, although breakfast was lovely and plentyful (full English breakfast complimented with a cold buffet too), the service was barely coping with the amount of guests, so I would highly advise getting to your breakfast as early as possible to avoid queing and half empty buffet (especially if you're after their heavenly freshly baked croissants and buns...). As for dinner options, although reasonably priced and with great ocean views from the restaurant, the food itself was rather blant, so we decided to go out to other places in town after the first trial.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ana F
Buckhurst Hill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My partner, daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Victoria the weekend of 15th March 2013 for 2 nights. I booked this hotel from a Groupon offer i had seen and thought it was well worth the money of £99 for B&B for 2 nights. I jumped on this offer as i had stayed at the Hotel Victoria as a child and i wanted to share with my family my childhood memories.

We were travelling down from Essex so we had a long 6hr drive ahead of us with a one year old child. Luckily my partner was able to get an extra day off so were now able to leave on the Thursday instead of the Friday. So we rang the Hotel Victoria to see what avaiablity they had and how much the extra night would be. They inormed us they were not busy and the extra night would be £125, I then told them the whole weekend only cost £99 and was there any thing they coud do for us. Their reply was no that was the price. So we decided to look at other hotels in Newquay for the thursday night. We ended up deciding on the Great Western which was £35 for the night.

When we arrived at the Great Western we were greeted by a modern reception area with a helpful receptionist. We were checked in quickly and went to our room. Our room was newly refurbished and had a beautiful new bathroom and a gorgeous comfortable king sized bed.

So we then we made our way over to the Hotel Victoria we arrived an hour early for check in, but we were advised that they could not check us in. Once we were checked in at the exact check in time we made our way up to the 3rd floor room. We walked into our room and the first thing to greet us was bird poo stained windows and very dated funiture, the only thing that was new was the television. The bathroom was old looking and the toilet roll holder fell off. That night when we got into bed, the bed was uncomfortable and very small, luckily enough we had an extra single bed in our room, and in the middle of the night had to go get into that as i felt so swashed next to my partner in the other bed.

On the saturday we decided to take my daughter swimming in the hotel pool. The pool area was ok and the pool was seemed to be clean but the womens changing rooms were so so so cold and the locks on the changing rooms door were broken. There was no way of taking my daughter into these rooms, she would of froze to death. I froze and i wasnt to happy and I'm an adult.

The breakfast in the hotel was up to standard and actually had quite a lot to choose from.

In all I found this hotel very dated and not up to charging guest £125 per night when a fantastic hotel 2 minutes down the road is charging £35 per night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family