4,993 results
All reviews the cottages terrace restaurant samphire restaurant fistral view main restaurant hotel facilities four poster bed beautiful hotel dog friendly hotel self catering amazing location cream tea stunning views steam room relaxing break nothing is too much trouble short break
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As a family we have been going to the Headland for several years. Our recent stay was hugely disappointing. An engagement celebration in the Samphire restaurant, we had ordered a bottle of champagne, when we sat down, my husband asked if the champagne was ready to be told “yours is the only table with flutes” what a response, and this was from the restaurant manager, very dismissive. Meal was fine, other staff in the restaurant good, especially Dido - he was excellent. At the end of the meal we ordered a round of drinks and was left waiting 30 minutes. I asked the restaurant staff and was said had been ordered. Then went to the bar and the drinks were lined up on the back shelf. Asked the bar staff, were they ours and who normally fetched them, was told restaurant didn’t turn up for them, asked wouldn’t you normally then call them? Asked for a tray and said I would take them and he got the duty manager to bring them. I explained we had been sat around for 30 minutes waiting to be told “it wasn’t his problem” and his manner was aggressive. We declined to have the drinks and went to bed. Considering the meal for 6 was £400 and meant to be a celebration, what a poor experience.
Following day was having lunch, given a menu by the waitress, was ready to order to be told, sorry, menu has now changed, why didn’t she say when she gave us the menus to begin with, that the menu will change in 10mins.
The hotel location is lovely, the service was poor and some of the staff just don’t seem to care, there is definitely some training needed here. I have never written a review before but was so disappointed - felt I had to.

Trip type: Traveled with family
TheHeadlandHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

I am very sorry to see that you were disappointed at your engagement celebration meal recently. I have looked into what happened that evening and it seems the delay in bringing your drinks after the meal was due to the fact that you had all moved into the ballroom and there was a misunderstanding, for which I sincerely apologise . I am so sorry that this happened and I understand that the hotel manager apologised personally the next day and removed the price of your drinks from your bill as a good will gesture. I am very glad to see that you found service from Dido to be excellent and that your meal itself was good. Thank you for mentioning that. With regard to the lunchtime menu change the following day, I am afraid the waitress did not know about it until after she had given you the menus. Again I am sorry for any irritation this caused.
Kind regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

All good great location we have been coming here for 10 yrs sometimes twice a year varying seasons. A good all year resort for all age groups and a good location for mid Cornwall. We miss the tennis courts as they have been removed for the construction of the new leisure complex.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheHeadlandHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I am so glad that you have had another happy stay with us. Thank you so much for your lovely comments and we hope to be welcoming you back often for many years to come.

Kindest regards

Wyn.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What do you rate a hotel on? Because it would probably get 5 stars here.
Public rooms are beautiful, bedroom spacious, clean, well equipped.
Service has been great throughout, the standard of staff training is clearly excellent. I was particularly impressed by housekeeping, who coped seamlessly with my inability to remove the 'do not disturb ' sign from my room. Food is lovely. Breakfast buffet terrific. Views are exceptional. I am currently slobbing about on one of the endless settees, reading papers and, er, reviewing. The spa is really nice, and I don't even like spas.
Here is the totality of my negative criticism- the breakfast black pudding was a bit dry.
We will definitely be back.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Robin

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments which have made everyone's day. It is really lovely to read your appreciative feedback and we all hope you will come back to us often in the future.
Kindest regards
Wyn
P.S. Sorry about the black pudding!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were staying at the Atlantic Hotel but thought we would have a coffee in the opposition Headland Hotel which is a huge Victorian pile sitting proudly even further on to the Headland above Torquay.

Three doormen to choose from to ask for help and one politely and most helpfully led us to the very fine dining area where he told us mid-morning coffee would be served.
We were shown to a table and left for ten minutes before the waitress sauntered across to take our order. There were 5 staff wandering around the area and very little in the way of custom during our late morning visit. The coffee took some time to come - and was fine. Then the manager decided to having a staff briefing close to where we were sitting - we stood up and asked to pay - but no-one took any notice until he had finished. No apology and we were pushed from one member of staff at one till to another member at another. Not the sort of service one would expect from a hotel of this purported standard. We will stick to the Atlantic for future visits where the service is far better.

Room tip: No comment as we did not stay - just visited for coffee

Dear Bob L

I am not sure if your review refers to The Headland Hotel in Newquay, Cornwall or to the Headland Hotel in Torquay, Devon ( there have been confusions in the past.)
If you did indeed visit us, I am sorry that you were unhappy with our service and from your comments we seem to have dropped the ball that day. Our aim is to have our team 100% guest focused - not task and meeting focused. I can understand your annoyance and thank you for reminding us of our priorities.
Best wishes

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I popped into The Headland for lunch this afternoon! I ordered the Vegetable Antipasti board, it cost £9 for not a lot! There was one stuffed vine leaf, one cheery tomato, two slices of courgette, a couple of slices of pepper, one tiny slice of red onion and some rocket with a side of hummus and a very small amount of bread. Completely over priced food. I normally like The Headland but this is the second time I’ve been recently and I’ve had a bad experience. The young guy that served me was excellent but the rest of the staff just seem really stressed and somehow make me feel like an inconvenience because they’re so busy. Hopefully things can change. Please look at what your chefs are actually serving customers and ask if you think it’s good value for money.

Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you for your comments and for praising the member of staff who served you.. I am sorry that you felt your meal was not good value for money and that you were disappointed. I will pass your comments on.

Kind regards