“Wonderful place”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Visited for a weekend with my husband.

We had a fistral view room which was beautiful. It was a wet and stormy weekend and we loved seeing the waves crashing onto the beach and hearing the wind whistling round the hotel while we were tucked up cosy in our room.

The staff were all wonderful, we loved the fine balance the owners have achieved between keeping the period character, but with all modern comforts. Breakfast excellent, very good value stay for how good it was. Far better than watergate bay hotel where we have stayed previously.

Only tiny criticism is the wifi connection in our room was a bit dodgy. Worked fine in the public areas , may have been because our room was right on the periphery of the hotel. Not a big problem for us, might have been annoying if you were staying here on business etc.

Thanks headland for a fantastic weekend overall, we will be back!

Room Tip: Fistral view rooms are well worth the extra money
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Fistral view rooms. Our staff really are one of the main assets of the Hotel; I will ensure your lovely comments about them are passed on. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,804)

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We regularly visit Cornwall, and since we discovered the Headland Cottages, I find it hard to book elsewhere.

The team were great and all remembered my birthday. The cottage, Huers 7, was delightful, with amazing sea views and everything you could need for a stay.

We had lunch in the restaurant the first afternoon on arrival- my main of a superfood salad was a disappointment. The halloumi hadn't been grilled and was served raw, and the pineapple was from the tin. The restaurant is expensive, but when we have eaten there in the past, the food has been excellent.

I was excited to use the new spa, which has recently been refurbished. The spa area is lovely, there is a pool, sauna and steam room and hot tub. Whilst I was there the sauna was not hot enough, and some of the other clientele using the area were quite rowdy. It's not the level of the Scarlet, but it's still lovely. I had a gel pedicure, which was good. The spa needs to improve in overall ambience. There aren't any dividers between the reception and the spa dining area, so you can hear everything going on which isn't conducive to a relaxing environment. Lotions and separate shampoo and conditioner should also be provided in the changing rooms.

The hotel is a short walk away from Fistral beach, perfect for surfing and for leisurely strolls. I suggest to try the Lewennick lodge for a lovely dinner, if you get the opportunity, the food is fantastic.

Thank you Headland for a wonderful stay, we will be back soon!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Huers 7, what a fantastic view you had from this cottage. I have passed on your comments regarding the Restaurant and Spa to the relevant Managers, please be assured that this is being looked into. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

One of the last jewels remaining on the Cornish coast! Although the rooms are not exactly modelled last year, the atmosphere and accompanying immaculate service make up more then needed. The meals are exquisite, and the staff is friendly, helpful and polite. A truly great experience, which is rare to find these days!

Room Tip: select an ocean facing room! the view is well worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter C
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

What a lovely review. I’m absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Headland. I can assure you that the owners, Mr and Mrs Armstrong along with their team look after The Headland like a precious jewel. I’ll ensure to pass on your good words to our entire Team. Your comments are the result of our passion and motivation to deliver outstanding standards of hospitality through friendliness and to make your stay unique. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I look forward seeing you again at the Headland.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is our fifth stay at the Headland Hotel and really pushed the boat out this time as it was my 40th - with a third floor family suite. The room was clean, spacious and the views were spectacular but I can not honestly say it was worth the £300.00 premium over other rooms we have stayed in.
Staff were attentive and could not do enough, they quickly attended to a fault in our room and our children (11 & 12) were very busy with all on offer both in the Hotel and within Newquay.
One pointer - I was pretty staggered by the foul language coming out of the Central Bar (in Newquay Town Centre and nothing to do with Headland) so early in the Evening when we went in for some dinner (6.30pm) - avoid like the plague unless you want to give your children an unusual social education - see separate review.
We ate in the restaurant for the first time and the food on offer was limited but superb. Go Scallops and Lobster!!! The new Spa and pool areas were equally good.

Room Tip: Great deals on family rooms without a sea view - if you do want a sea view then go for it but you do...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Christian H

I am truly delighted that you made the Headland Hotel you destination of choice for the fifth consecutive time. I’d like to personally thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor your experience with us as this is crucial for our sustainability and for our constant development. Congratulations once again for your 40th and I’m delighted that you treated yourself and your family in this occasion. Although, I am sorry about your experience in town; maybe a few people would benefit from a few lessons of appropriate language. I look forward to welcoming you again at The Headland soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Great hotel, lovely food, great staff, great service but LOTS of dogs and noisy children!!! Welcome was warm and the hotel is in great condition considering it's age. The views from the lounge, terrace and dining room were outstanding. The spa/leisure facilities were brilliant. Loved the steam room, sauna and jacouzi and the massage was perfect. However, you need to love dogs and noisy children as there were plenty of these!! Difficult to find a quiet space to relax if you are on an unwinding break , though there was plenty of places to walk to, especially along the beach early evening. The only other disappointment was the size of the bedroom. It was very clean, the beds were exceedingly comfortable, the bathroom lovely, but the room was very small!!! If you want a larger room then pay more!! Overall a lovely break, would consider visiting again because of the great service, but perhaps at a less busy time!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a description of view over a courtyard. We looked into a small yard and when our w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mah_12

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Headland. I would like to thank you for your honest feedback and for taking the time to share it on Trip advisor. The Headland Hotel is a very popular family and dog friendly hotel. During Half Term or other holidays plenty of families travel to Newquay to enjoy the hospitality of the Headland. However, we do have few rooms to relax and enjoy tranquillity and when the weather is permitting, the Terrace outside with its spectacular Veranda is a true haven. Looking forward seeing you again at the Headland.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a very 'homely' hotel. The rooms are slightly outdated, but it did not matter to me. The food was excellent ( especially the crab). The pool looked a little small to me for a 'real' swim, so I did not bother. The staff were attentive and very interactive. I felt very well looked after. I think that the prices are a little high considering that there are other properties available in the area for cheaper prices, but not that disappointing. My bed was not that comfortable though. Breakfast was slightly disappointing, but still enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share to the world your experience with us at the Headland. Feedback is essential, it allows us to move forward and truthfully feel the pulse of our venue. I am glad that you found the Headland ‘Homely’ it is great proof of success as this is our goal. I can read that not everything reached your expectations. I can assure you that our objective is to reach your entire satisfaction and would hope that anything with which our guests are not entirely satisfied can be remedied as soon as it is brought to our attention. I look forward to welcoming you back at The Headland soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Just had our wedding at the Hotel and it was Simply Fantastic and we can not thank all the staff there enough. The events planer Claire was so friendly and easy to talk to and made sure that everything we asked for happened the way we wanted it to but also had plenty of help and advice and made sure we had a great parking space for our camper van Emily so we could get some great photos of her. From the minute we checked in to the minute we checked out we could not find any fault with the hotel or it's staff who were all very polite and helpful. On the day of the wedding we were in the very capable hands of Luke and his team who could not do enough for us and ensured everything ran smoothly and all the guests knew were they had to be and what was happening. The wedding breakfast was some of the best food i have ever tasted and a big thank you to the chef and kitchen staff. The meal was served on time and hot and everyone's wine glass was constantly filled . We are so Glad we booked our wedding at the Headland as we have come away with only great memories of our day and no bad ones and lots of lovely compliments from our guests. The only complaint i have is that i nearly missed my wedding because the bed was so comfortable that that i didn't want to get out and leave the view that i had from my windows. Thank you all again for a great day.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank betty R

I am absolutely delighted that you chose The Headland to celebrate one of the most important days of your life. Thank you for taking the time to write about your special day, it was a real pleasure to read such great feedback. I’ll ensure to share your message to our entire team. Once again, congratulations and I wish you a long life of happiness and I hope we will see you again at the Headland soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!