“Relaxing stay in outstanding cottages”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were recommended by friends to stay in the delightful cottages attached to this charming hotel.the facilities and friendly welcome were just what we needed and we newfound almost immediately. The cottages lived up to their 5star rating, although the mattress was a bit lumpy!!
Dog friendly, you couldn't fault this superb hotel in terms of location and amenities.
We will certainly come back!

Room Tip: Sea view is imperative
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

You have a very good friend to recommend you the Headland Cottages for a stay by the sea. Thank you for taking the time to share on TripAdvisor your experience. I’m absolutely delighted that our cottages honoured their 5 star rating and that you found your stay relaxing. For your next visit, could please ensure you share with us any concerns you have without delays so we can improve your stay. We will be pleased to help. We look forward to welcoming you again at The Headland.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,735)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

There isn't a ZERO star option but that is what I would give this dump. As you enter the hotel, you are ignored by reception whilst your dog can slop away at the communal doggy bowl in the entrance hall. Nice way to share a doggy virus.
£185 gets you a dirty, smelly, poxy little room with a stained carpet and a rusty radiator. That was one of the better rooms. Goodness knows what the rest are Ike.The bathroom floor is dirty with what was probably white grouting stained grey in all the obvious places.
Some people are so easily impressed...I cannot for the life of me see how people can sleep in these rooms. We left after my friend started having a dog induced asthma attack and went back to a Brend hotel. What a refuge.
DO. NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE...go somewhere decent. Just for the record. I love all animals, dogs included. I just don't want to spend any time in a hotel where dogs get free rein to go where they like. Perhaps it would make a better kennels?
Having complained to the management I was more or less told to get stuffed. I have had no refund at all despite not being able to stay as my friend has allergies which induced her asthma. The duty manager sat me down, virtually surrounded me with other staff who appeared from nowhere (a well practised scenario I am sure). She then went to 'check out' my story by checking the database to see when a dog was last in our room. It was a month ago, which to her meant that my friend was lying. To me that just proves they don't clean properly. The director could save himself a fortune by cutting down the number of staff that wallow around reception. All you want is a smile or a hello when you arrive...I did t even get that, despite having quite clearly said hello to the receptionist. Even the concierge lady heard me say it! she was clearly embarrassed that I had been ignored and came out from behind to save the situation. At least she was polite and friendly. WARNING: DOGS ARE ALLOWED IN ALL ROOMS AND PUBLIC AREAS. It has taken the director 48 hrs to respond to my complaint. I have had no apology at all and have been redirected to bookings.com to reclaim my money.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
16  Thank Debthereb
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Hubby and I had a really relaxing short break at the Headland a couple of weeks ago. Very friendly helpful staff. Great food (restaurant atmosphere quite hushed/genteel tho - and take care gents if wearing chinos as can prove squeaky on restaurant chairs...!!!), very comfortable rooms, beautifully done spa and cream tea and daffs on arrival a nice touch.

Room Tip: Glad we had a sea view room in the end as weather was great and sunsets stunning and sound of the se...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DelilahOnOn

I am absolutely delighted to read you review about your stay at The Headland. Thank you for taking the time to share it to the world. Despite our amazing location and our product, our staff members are our best assets and I’m most please that you describe them as helpful. I’ll make sure to share your feedback with our team. Hope to see you again at the Headland.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the second time this weekend. It is a lovely, quality hotel that despite its grand style is incredibly relaxed, you never feel out of place or awkward as can happen at some other luxury hotels.
It's not perfect, some of the staff were obviously new (one waiter bought us someone else's food at both dinner and breakfast! we found it amusing) but all of the staff are friendly and welcoming.
Dinner in the main restaurant was a little disappointing my risotto was very bland and my lemon tart was a pre-made pastry case, which as a cook myself I feel isn't acceptable for the price.
Breakfast however is excellent.
I'd go again in a heartbeat but would probably eat in the terrace restaurant next time.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Franrain68

I would like to thank you for your honest feedback. The title says it all: That is what we are. However, you did point out few flaws that I’ll ensure to pass on our Food and Beverage Manager. We have new starters, indeed, however as awarded as Investors in People for 23 consecutive years, we have the mission to train them and challenge them to reach success. Also I can assure you that our training process should not affect our standards of service, therefore I apologise for the situation you had in the Restaurant and thank you for finding it amusing. I look forward seeing you again at The Headland.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Visited with my family and stayed in one of the 2 bedroom cottages which was absolutely perfect. This hotel is ideally located; you have the wonderful Fistral beach right on your doorstep, you have the wonderful views from, and across, both sides of the headland and you are close enough, but not too close, to Newquay town and all the sights, sounds and tastes it has to offer.

The cottage was well appointed, nicely decorated and very clean. The hotel has obviously had some work done recently, not least to the outstanding spa / indoor pool, and is also very comfortable & clean.

The staff at The Headland are always available, always friendly and always helpful, you never find yourself looking for a staff member when you need one. There is a real feel of a 5* hotel about the way you are treated.

The Terrace restaurant is very good offers good food in a good but slightly relaxed atmosphere, the large ballroom offers a comfortable quiet place to sit and take in the views and the new;y refurbished spa is absolutely lovely. There is a well equiped games / play room for the children and also two "snug" rooms at the front. The 9 hole pitch and putt course is a great bonus and is testing enough but fun for the whole family.

One small drawback is that you can get a little too used to the quality and the service, there isn't too much else like it in Newquay!

We will be going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Christhewino

I am absolutely delighted that you pointed out all the good points of your stay. Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Headland. I only can agree with everything you said. It brings complete motivation to our staff to have such great review and I can ensure you that it will be shared.

The Armstrong Family and its team are investing actively in the hotel to make this unique venue on top of its category and to ensure that your stay is exceptional every time. I’m looking forward welcoming you again at The Headland. Best regards.

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to the Spa facilities was an absolute treat!! We decided on a spa package which included full use of the leisure facilities, delicious lunch and a glass of sparkly on top of our amazing treatments! I felt so relaxed after our morning of pampering driving home was a chore! The only problem is I now have to think of an excuse to visit again very soon! Thank you.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Kernow_Ali

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your special day at the Spa. You definitely found the best way to maximise the possibility of what our Spa can offer. I think that the only way to avoid a difficult drive home after such a relaxing time would be to enjoy our hospitality for a couple days. I am looking forward to welcoming you again at the Headland.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The title says it all. We just keep coming back. It gets better and better. We're in our cottage as I write. It's a place to relax and recharge and let the cobwebs be blown away in luxury. The Headland don't get it right every time but it's a magical place and they get so much more right than they do wrong! The cottage accommodation us stunning, spacious and incredibly cosy. The cliff top walks and runs are idyllic and the scenery breath taking. The terrace restaurant delivers great food with exceptional views and generally very good attentive service (early in the season young inexperienced staff add a touch of erratic attention to detail!) The new spa completes the experience.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorraine E
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

It was most pleasing to read your review and I am truly delighted that you have made the Headland Hotel your destination of choice for all of these years. I’d like to personally thank you to keep sharing on Trip Advisor your experience with us as this is crucial for our sustainability and for our constant development. I can assure you that our objective is to reach your entire satisfaction and would hope that anything with which our guests are not entirely satisfied can be remedied as soon as it is brought to our attention. I look forward to welcoming you again at The Headland soon.

Sebastien Neyron, Assistant Manager, Headland Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!