“Fantastic & Enjoyable stay - Will return!!”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Shepperton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic & Enjoyable stay - Will return!!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I work within the hospitality industry myself and visited The Headland this New Years for 5 nights with my family. I must say I was extremely impressed with the standard of the hotel, the friendliness of the staff and the overall experience we had there. We stayed in one of the cottages which was FANTASTIC. On New Years Eve, the owners of the hotel were walking around chatting to the guests which is a rare and a very nice touch. We had two dogs with us, and the hotel were so dog friendly, it was just a perfect fit for our family.

The staff were lovely, with the exception of a couple of gentlemen who always worked on the bar and they came across rather arrogant and at times rude. They were the only ones who were like this so luckily did not let the hotel down too much.

I rarely write such reviews however felt I really wanted to write this for the Headland as we all had such an amazing stay and will most definitely be returning!!

Room Tip: Self catering cottages were absolutely fantastic.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
I’m so pleased you had a fantastic time; it’s great to have a review from someone within the industry. Our cottages are truly stunning providing guests with a ‘home from home’ feel whilst also having the facilities of the hotel available for use on your doorstep. I am glad that you brought your dogs with you to make your visit extra special. I wish you best wishes for the coming year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Greek first
Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just got back from a short break at The Headland Hotel.
The attraction for us is the comfort and location of this hotel .
Friendly staff good choice of breakfast although evening meals can be a little fussy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
It is lovely to receive your feedback. I am delighted that you thought our staff were friendly at The Headland, it is certainly our focus to achieve a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for all our guests. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We walked to the hotel for lunch today and were made very welcome by the team. Between our group we opted for wraps, soup, sandwiches and puddings, all were delicious. The prices are reasonable and the setting is beautiful. Staff were very friendly but not intrusive.

We will definitely be back!

Stayed January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this excellent review. I look forward to seeing you at The Headland again very soon.
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The history and location of the Headland hotel is great with interesting bits and bobs clearly labelled all over the hotel. The spa area is brand new and has been beautifully set up to include a nice pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, the gym is also well equipped and part of the new spa facilities. The room had a breathtaking view of the headland, ocean and beach but was a little tired in places, especially in the bathroom. Dinner in the main restaurant was very enjoyable and the service was outstanding, however some of the vegetables seemed overly salty. A lovely hotel that is well worth a visit for it's unique historic tales and stunning location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a_melks
Thank you so much for your great comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and got to use all of our facilities. We are very proud of our new Spa here at The Headland; it has just gained ‘five bubbles’ from the Good Spa Guide! Your comments are most complimentary, thank you and best wishes for the year ahead.
Staunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Just got back from 3 day treat at The Headland Hotel.
Found once again that the real attraction of this hotel is the staff. The hotel was very busy but they still found time to make you feel welcome and special, even though we were only staying in a budget room, Adam and Jude in particular.
We had a complimentary afternoon tea with our friends on day one, which was lovely and I would recommend.
Wanted to stay an extra night for my birthday which Nicky in reservations sorted out for us, although this meant moving to another room, which was an upgrade to a costal view. The budget room was nice, the costal view was fabulous and seems to have benefited from a recent facelift. Would therefore recommend this option if your budget can run to it.
New facilities very good.
Location wonderful!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank StuartDudfield
I am delighted that you had a lovely time here at The Headland. It’s always nice to hear that you felt welcomed and thank you for such great feedback about our staff. I am glad you had a chance to experience a room with a good coastal view and managed to benefit from the recent refurbishment. I look forward to seeing you at The Headland very soon.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a mixed review. I had booked the hotel after my wife’s mother passed away after a four year fight with Cancer. Having read so many good reviews, we wanted to go away after Christmas to reflect and take some much needed time together as a family.

The hotel is amazing. The location, scenery and building are second to none and I cannot fault this. We were blessed with good weather for the time of year and went for a couple of coastal walks. Take time to really look at the coast line – it is truly amazing!

We arrived early and our family room was already ready. We were greeted by a friendly staff team and this standard was consistent throughout. The staff was so attentive during our stay and was the highlight of our three day break. Having been to some of the best hotels in the UK, I would say we were treated by far the best.

We booked a breakfast and dinner package. The breakfast was excellent throughout. A really high standard of food in the morning that gave the option of a buffet or off the menu. I tried both and they could not be faulted.

The first two evening meals were faultless as well. We booked tables and had an excellent three course meal with a new menu each day.

The last evening was a completely different story. There was a casino evening, so the restaurant was full. It was clear that the staff were much busier and certainly less attentive than the previous two evenings. I ordered a 2009 Rioja from the wine menu at the same time as our meal. We were half way through our starter when I had to ask for the wine to be brought to the table. When it did arrive, it was a 2011 Rioja. I pointed this out to the waiter, who having gone for some time came back and agreed he had the correct wine but the menu was wrong.

Having had our starter plates cleared, another waitress came to the table with dessert menus! The staff were certainly less aware than previous evenings and a busy restaurant obviously put them under pressure.

Our main meal arrived with my wife’s chicken dish cold. We returned this and a second meal came out with rock hard potatoes. We don’t mind al dente, but this was ridiculous! We did complain again, but by this time my wife was so hungry, she ate the chicken and left the potatoes. In fairness, the restaurant manager did come to our table and offer us a complimentary glass of champagne and a drink for our son, but it did mar our last evening somewhat!

On leaving the restaurant, I requested a 9am table for breakfast by the window. Arriving in good time the following day, I was told that no one should book seats for breakfast and was spoken to rather abruptly by the morning staff. I felt that this was unnecessary!

The suite itself was lovely. We had our son with us who had his own room. Overall the room was very well appointed with two TV’s (one in each room) complimentary tea, coffee, hot chocolate and water. That said, the bed was really uncomfortable. We had two sleepless nights and in the morning I went to reception to make comment. They were helpful enough and maintenance came to the room. It made little difference as the bed was no better. My wife ended up sleeping in my son’s room just to get some sleep.

To top off our three day stay, the last morning there was no hot water. This meant three cold showers before our long journey home!

Both my wife and myself had a spa treatment. The new spa is really well appointed. The treatments themselves were great and the general feel is very relaxing. The pool, although on the small side, is new along with Jacuzzi, steam and sauna. The facilities for changing, showering and general cleanliness cannot be faulted.

Overall, we had a good stay apart from the issues noted. I would not expect this from a hotel of this standard and on reflection was disappointed given why we booked our stay in the first place. We wanted some much needed family time and a break and yet had complaints about food, service on the last night, no hot water on the last morning and sleepless nights (I returned with a bad back)

Would I stay again? Well may be yes for the location, staff and amazing building, but would certainly look at other hotels in the area before considering.

4 Thank Neil M
west yorkshire
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We came for a four night break with our two dogs in November and couldnt be faulted. Room excellent (we chose an internal room with no view but not in it much and facilities were excellent), food fantastic and service marvellous. Only comment is that drinks very expensive but to be expected in a hotel of this standard I suppose and driveway could be lit up at night as very very dark when walking into town

Room Tip: Internal room more than adequate and much better value
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for reviewing The Headland, I know it's not easy to find dog friendly accommodation in such a wonderful location. If you stay with us again I would recommend speaking to our Reservations Team to find the best room for you. I hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,503 reviews

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!