“Great Stay tarred by breakfast experience”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
“Great Stay tarred by breakfast experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have stayed a couple of times at the Headland, love the location, and everything about it. However, this year over the course of one week we had terrible service at breakfast. ordering eggs benidict seemed to be impossible. It came late, cold, only one muffin, not at all. it actually became a joke every morning. I did complain but nothing was done about it. my advice would be stay away from eggs benidict at the Headland and you will be fine here.

Room Tip: go for a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I apologise that on this occasion your breakfast did not meet your expectation. Your comments have been forwarded to the Restaurant Manager and, as procedure, we do react to all feedback by reviewing internal training and service standards. I can reassure you that since your stay in July measures have been put in place and I look forward to welcoming you back for a perfect Eggs Benedict next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Greek first
Exeter
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel is wonderfully located with views over the Atlantic Ocean and Fistral Beach. The staff are very friendly and have a youthful can do attitude which really contrasts to the ambiance of the stately hotel . Our bedroom was comfortable and homely with wonderful ocean views it was lovely to lay in bed and listen to the waves crashing on the rocks below. The rest of the hotel has a real friendly cosy atmosphere. The formal restaurant has a beautiful panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and the rugged North Cornwall Coast. The menus of which there are two offer a table de hote and an a la carte both are well thought out and you are able to mix and match off of either menu. The food off either menu is gorgeous and beautifully presented. The other restaurant called the Terrace is less formal and has lovely views over Fistral beach the menu for this restaurant is more bar orientated but the food is once again delicious and nicely presented.
The new Spa is a nice addition to the hotel although I personally thought the prices a little strong although having said that the treatments on offer were nicely varied and the hot stone massage is highly recommended by my wife.
The bar is of a nice size and I particularly liked the first class drinks waiter service. The bar has 2 local ales on tap both of which are well kept and provided easy drinking. Bar prices were also for a hotel reasonable. I consider the Headland one of my favourite hotels and look forward to staying there again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ExeterGemini
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to comment on your recent stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Went to the Headland Hotel for a vintage afternoon tea party on my Mum's 60th birthday 6th September 2013. My Dad is disabled, walks with stick, was able to find a parking space by the door with no problem, access also easy with ramp rather than couple of steps. Receptionist showed us to the Morning Room we had to ourselves for the afternoon, lovely comfortable room ideal for just the three of us, although at the front of the hotel so no sea views but beautifully decorated. Wonderful waitress (Kathy I think) looked after us very well. Had ample loose leaf tea and a pot of coffee. Had a three tier stand of sandwiches, scones with Jam and cream and cakes each! All was delicious. Waitress very kindly provided us with boxes to take leftovers home! We had a look around the hotel and it is very lovely with wonderful views. We hope to return very soon for special meals...... Would recommend to anyone. As we are fairly local staying at the hotel is unlikely but hopefully one day....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Clokey22
Kathy is delighted you enjoyed your vintage afternoon tea experience. It is a special treat, perfect for birthday celebrations, and I’m so pleased you and your Mum had such a lovely afternoon.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We just wanted to say what a wonderful time we had when we stayed at the Headland.
We were warmly welcomed, offered a tour of the hotel and made to feel at
ease immediately. The hotel in itself is absolutely amazing, matching
the idyllic location and breathtaking scenery.
All the staff were fabulous and courteous at all times and nothing was
too much trouble.
We also had a treatment at the spa facility (never done this before!)
as a birthday treat, and the two ladies were fantastic, they explained
everything in detail and made the whole experience wonderful. The food was absolutely perfect too!
I would, and have, highly recommended the hotel to all of my friends
and look forward to visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Ras090973
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post your comments. I’ve passed your feedback onto our Spa therapists who were delighted. I’m so pleased you had such an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us very soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed in Huers 5, which is well equipped. Unfortunately the gym was not ready and half of the outside area is also still a building site. The spa just opened and only offers some water in plastic cups, no other drinks. The Terrace restaurant has really good food but the place (chairs, tables) was always dirty.
No dry-cleaning service offered ("you have to go to Newquay yourself")

Room Tip: Huers 5 just offers Sea view from the main room, and the balcony is really small. No deck chairs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Margit L
After some unanticipated and unavoidable delays, we’re all celebrating the opening of the new gym this week and by mid October will see the completion the entire Spa area. I’m so sorry that your visit pre-empted our opening and sincerely hope that you will return and experience the facilities in full in the near future. Our onsite laundry is available to all our guests and although we are unable to offer professional dry-cleaning facilities within the hotel itself we have an arrangement with a local dry cleaner and offer a collection / delivery service. I’m sorry to read your observation regarding The Terrace - could you possibly provide supportive evidence as this is entirely unacceptable and by no means our normal standards of service.
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Me and my partner have stayed in Newquay several times and have always stayed in b&b's this time we made a booking at the headland hotel as after watching the movie witches that was recorded there years ago I was very curious what it was like there, we arrived and felt like we was looked down by other people and staff, our room was like staying in a basement it was dark and gloomy and our view was a brick wall, now after paying £119 for 1 night I expected more as always paying £60 a night and getting more for my money from b&b's I was looking forward to getting a high quality service and room, I was so disappointed with my room it was very claustrophobic! We put up with it and tried to get on with our day, that evening we went down to the lobby and people were very rude thinking they were better than me!!! The breakfast was ok, yes the was a lot of choice but the cooked breakfast was cold, I will never return here I can stay at a B&B for £60 and get treated a lot better and get a room with a view, it ruined my time there and made me feel very depressed!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
9 Thank Tracey A
It is regrettable that your booking didn’t meet your expectation and for that I apologise. Our Reservations team are extremely knowledgeable and focused on matching guest’s exact requirements with the various grades of room available. Please do contact me for any future reservation enquiries. Our website provides extensive details of the rooms available from the entry level, best value Courtyard rooms through to Best rooms with four poster beds and private balconies. You may also like to take advantage of our offers such as the current ‘3 for 2’ autumn special.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at the Headland hotel in 2005 & 2006 before we had children and enjoyed both stays. The hotel was not an option really when we had the children so this year when the Headland sent me an e mail I started looking at the cottages and we booked one for August. On arrival reception were helpful and the hotel was still as fantastic as it always was. We were very impressed with the cottage it was beautiful and the location overlooking fistral beach was just amazing. One of the porters helped us with our luggage and showed us around and how things worked. It was great that you could ring up to the hotel if you needed anything, they even sent us a nappy bucket when we requested one. We settled in straight away and it felt home from home. We were lucky the weather was good and we spent time on the beach and the outdoor swimming pool. The beach is a very short walk and the facilities are excellent, the shops are a bonus too. The outdoor swimming pool is nice and my husband and eldest son used the indoor pool and they said that was lovely. We did not use the restaurants in the hotel because of my 15mth old son so I can not comment on that. I used the spa and had a back massage again this was a real treat and it was great again the staff were very helpful and friendly. We also thought the maid service was great, a bonus to the self catering!
There were only a couple of issues we had, we stayed in Seaspray 5 and some of the guests were using a walled area as a walkway which ended right in front of our lounge window! Also there was no warning that a window cleaner came round which was also a bit of a shock!
We would definitely return my eldest son said this was one of the best holidays he had been on and wanted to return. My only wish was that it was more reasonably priced during the high season we changed our booking to later in the month so it was a more reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anna S
I’m delighted that you returned to The Headland after a lengthy absence and that we lived up to expectations! It’s lovely to pass onto the next generation cherished holiday memories and I’m pleased your stay ranked as “best ever”! The owners have made a significant financial investment in the hotel in recent years and we are proud of our new facilities, especially the new Headland Spa and Gym, and our amazing staff. Your comments mean a lot to us and have been passed on to our team. Thank you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Tregenna Castle Resort
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#12 of 38 in Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!