The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$209
$200
Hotels.com
The Pentire Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
$94
Best Western Hotel Bristol(Newquay)(Great Value!)
$241
$66
Priceline
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Great Western Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
$88
  • Restaurant
$94
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Minerva Hotel(Newquay)
No availability for your dates from our partners
3,921 results
All reviewsthe cottagesterrace restaurantsamphire restaurantcourtyard roomstorm watchingfistral viewmain restaurantfour poster bedhotel facilitiesbeautiful hoteldog friendly hotelself cateringrelaxation roomstunning viewscream teaamazing locationsteam room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a lovely hotel situated on a cliff on top of Fistral beach, which is a lovely sandy beach and a surfers paradise.

The staff are all very helpful and look to make the stay pleasant and enjoyable. We stayed on dinner, bed and breakfast basis.

We stayed in room 121 which was a family suite with coastal view. We had some issues on our first night which appeared to be vandalism by the previous guests. The room had curry stains over window frames, doors and the floor. The vacuuming was not properly completed and there was evidence of crisps, rice etc on the floor. The mattress had been broken as we discovered on our first nights sleep, as it was very noisy and we kept falling into the middle. When we reported the dirt, the hotel arranged for a cleaner to complete further cleaning - much was cleaned up but many curry stains remained which I then cleaned up myself. The next day we complained about the mattress and this was replaced with a brand new mattress. We were also given 25% off of our first nights rate by the hotel. The hotel was more than keen to help.

There were other issues during the stay such as the bin not being emptied the following day. The window cleaning company are given the master key to the rooms which led to the window cleaner opening the door to our room and walking in on my family whilst we were sleeping one afternoon. This was to ask us to close the windows - not expected as the room had been cleaned already. This woke us all up and created a fright as the internal manual lock has been disabled on the room and therefore you cannot prevent someone walking in. Hotel reception said this should not happen and would pass our comments on.

Breakfast was lovely most days as you are able to have a buffet breakfast of the usual at good quality or choose some items from the menu. Eggs Benedict is much recommended as this was a real treat. As suggested in a previous reviews, there can be delays in the delivery of the breakfast - our breakfast was forgotten on the last day and we had waited 45 minutes. This was swiftly rectified although our children had eaten the buffet a long time before and struggled to stay still in the restaurant - not great.

The dinners were of good quality, the waiter staff friendly and helpful. You get a taster at the start of the dinner courtesy of the chef - these were always lovely. The dinners were varied English food which were all nice, if not a little small. Children's menu not so great, and very repetitive. Five or six basic items on the menu - of which most children would only like a small selection.

The gym opens later this month I understand, but the new spa facilities were great. Pool lovely. The outdoor pool was also useful one day and was warm enough to use without basking sun.

All in all a lovely hotel and we will be back. Just needs a bit more attention to detail to make it perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for taking time to post such a detailed review. I am glad that overall you enjoyed the stay, the food, service and facilities. With regards to the housekeeping I will speak with our executive housekeeper as we have always had huge praise from our guests regarding the quality of cleaning in the rooms. As you have given your name and room number we will be able to identify who was scheduled to clean your room during your stay. I can only apologise that this was not carried out to our usual high standard. I will take all of your constructive comments on board and ensure all departments have been spoken to. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Headland in the near future to give you holiday with exceptional standards of which you have come to expect of us.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel on a number of occasions on recent business trips, but this time was not the best. I requested am early morning call and this never happened (good job I set my phone!). I waited over 25 minutes for my breakfast to arrive but had to leave, even after explaining that I would order as being seated due to diary commitments.
I understand that it was the start of board masters but the hotel should have been prepared for this event, also I would have expected more concern for the lack of breakfast.
Service from Vicky in reception was very good. The room was excellent and the Cornish fudge is a very nice touch.
A great hotel let down by poor with service on this occasion.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve E

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. It is a shame to read that you felt the service was not up to standard. I will certainly speak to all staff involved as we have planned ahead for the influx of customers joining us for the boardmaster’s festival, it is a shame to read that you had to to wait for your breakfast. I hope that you will join us again at the Headland to allow us to show you the high standard of service our guests have come to expect of us.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

What a wonderful hotel!! We went last year on our daughters insistence that we go to the hotel where the Witches was filmed. Only stayed 2 nights, but that was enough - we were blown away and came back for a full week this year. The location is fantastic, and the fistral beach facing "pods" are an wonderful plus. The hotel is expanding and improving - I always like to see a business re-investing instead of just taking our money and running! Customer service is first class. Tom on reception was brilliant. It's a good judge of an establishment on how they handle problems- we had specifically asked for the room we had last year, but a mix up on booking meant that we were given another room which didn't quite meet my requirements. Tom was excellent and couldn't help me or apologize enough. He suggested multiple solutions and really bent over backwards to please me. Housekeeping was brilliant - they played hide the extra biscuits in my daughters room every day, which she loved!! Little touches from all of the staff made it a truly memorable holiday. The Headland really is dog friendly, not just tolerant- my dog was given treats at every turn and was welcomed by every member of staff on a daily basis. lovely. Cannot recommend this hotel enough, & will be back next year! Many thanks

Room Tip: If you go in summer, beware the weddings!! Don't have a room over the front door.... (Although its not the hotels fault that people don't know how to behave themselves)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jakmac28

I am delighted to read that you had such a lovely stay with us. Our staff are a real credit to us and Tom has recently come from behind the scenes on reservations to be our reception supervisor, he has taken to the position like a duck to water; he will be very pleased to have received a mention on the website! Our housekeeping team too, are the “silent heroes” of the Headland, they do a fantastic job and always ensure the little touches that make a difference are given to all our guests. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Headland in the near future.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have just returned from the Headland where we holidayed for 1week in the Hotel, room 317, fantastic room for our family with excellent sea views. Reception staff and general staff all around where very friendly and welcoming, we had a few niggles with our room, door handle hanging off, bath taps not working, we mentioned it to reception and within 10minutes things where resolved. Couldn't fault the hotel on this basis our main niggle was with the main restaurant we booked half board package, food always excellent but a bit repetitive when staying for the week, service always exceptional, our main bug bear was the time it took for our meal to get to the table, we have 2 children a 6yr old and a 6 month old, it took 2hrs on average to have our evening meal, fine if it was just me and my husband but when you have small children, hunger and tiredness do not go well together, so evening meal times where a bit stressful. The waiting staff blamed the kitchen, but whether this was true I am not sure, one morning a family waited 40 minutes for pancakes, it was a long wait if u ordered food from the restaurant but exceptional taste when u did receive it, it was like disorganised chaos in there, I am sure this could be improved upon, we would return to this hotel but in future we may be more inclined to book one of the cottages or just stay on a B&B basis.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharon025
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Headland. I am glad to read that you found the food and the room very satisfactory. I am sorry to hear that the wait for food caused you some problems with having little ones with you. I appreciate that the waiting staff have said it was the kitchen who was at fault; clearly somewhere a miss-communication has occurred. I can only apologise for this and assure you that both the kitchen and the waiting staff will be made aware of your comments and that they are given any further training that may be required. I certainly hope that you will choose to dine with us again to give us the opportunity to show you the excellent service we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Pitons, the Great Ocean Road or the view from this hotel; all outstanding views. This hotel is the most dog friendly hotel I have seen. Amazing breakfast with a choice of buffet and/or a la carte.,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael F

I am so pleased to hear you were so happy with your stay. We are indeed dog friendly, we especially like it when guests ask us to “dog sit” whilst they are at breakfast! It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Headland again soon.