“Best hotel of its class. Outstanding”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
“Best hotel of its class. Outstanding”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

What a wonderful hotel!! We went last year on our daughters insistence that we go to the hotel where the Witches was filmed. Only stayed 2 nights, but that was enough - we were blown away and came back for a full week this year. The location is fantastic, and the fistral beach facing "pods" are an wonderful plus. The hotel is expanding and improving - I always like to see a business re-investing instead of just taking our money and running! Customer service is first class. Tom on reception was brilliant. It's a good judge of an establishment on how they handle problems- we had specifically asked for the room we had last year, but a mix up on booking meant that we were given another room which didn't quite meet my requirements. Tom was excellent and couldn't help me or apologize enough. He suggested multiple solutions and really bent over backwards to please me. Housekeeping was brilliant - they played hide the extra biscuits in my daughters room every day, which she loved!! Little touches from all of the staff made it a truly memorable holiday. The Headland really is dog friendly, not just tolerant- my dog was given treats at every turn and was welcomed by every member of staff on a daily basis. lovely. Cannot recommend this hotel enough, & will be back next year! Many thanks

Room Tip: If you go in summer, beware the weddings!! Don't have a room over the front door.... (Although i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jakmac28
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I am delighted to read that you had such a lovely stay with us. Our staff are a real credit to us and Tom has recently come from behind the scenes on reservations to be our reception supervisor, he has taken to the position like a duck to water; he will be very pleased to have received a mention on the website! Our housekeeping team too, are the “silent heroes” of the Headland, they do a fantastic job and always ensure the little touches that make a difference are given to all our guests. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Headland in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Greek first
Lancashire
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have just returned from the Headland where we holidayed for 1week in the Hotel, room 317, fantastic room for our family with excellent sea views. Reception staff and general staff all around where very friendly and welcoming, we had a few niggles with our room, door handle hanging off, bath taps not working, we mentioned it to reception and within 10minutes things where resolved. Couldn't fault the hotel on this basis our main niggle was with the main restaurant we booked half board package, food always excellent but a bit repetitive when staying for the week, service always exceptional, our main bug bear was the time it took for our meal to get to the table, we have 2 children a 6yr old and a 6 month old, it took 2hrs on average to have our evening meal, fine if it was just me and my husband but when you have small children, hunger and tiredness do not go well together, so evening meal times where a bit stressful. The waiting staff blamed the kitchen, but whether this was true I am not sure, one morning a family waited 40 minutes for pancakes, it was a long wait if u ordered food from the restaurant but exceptional taste when u did receive it, it was like disorganised chaos in there, I am sure this could be improved upon, we would return to this hotel but in future we may be more inclined to book one of the cottages or just stay on a B&B basis.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon025
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Headland. I am glad to read that you found the food and the room very satisfactory. I am sorry to hear that the wait for food caused you some problems with having little ones with you. I appreciate that the waiting staff have said it was the kitchen who was at fault; clearly somewhere a miss-communication has occurred. I can only apologise for this and assure you that both the kitchen and the waiting staff will be made aware of your comments and that they are given any further training that may be required. I certainly hope that you will choose to dine with us again to give us the opportunity to show you the excellent service we pride ourselves on.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Pitons, the Great Ocean Road or the view from this hotel; all outstanding views. This hotel is the most dog friendly hotel I have seen. Amazing breakfast with a choice of buffet and/or a la carte.,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael F
I am so pleased to hear you were so happy with your stay. We are indeed dog friendly, we especially like it when guests ask us to “dog sit” whilst they are at breakfast! It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Headland again soon.
Hemyock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have been visiting the hotel and a cottage for 6 years both by ourselves and with foster children and decided to book a suite (expensive but well worth it) for a week to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary in late July - we were not disappointed as once again everything was of a high standard. In our room we were welcomed with a card, strawberries, meringue and chocolates and of course a view to be cherished.
There was a slight problem with a meal one evening but this was quickly resolved.

Unfortunately I injured my back slightly whilst there but the staff, particularly in the restaurant, could not have been more helpful - nothing was too much trouble. It was also nice that those staff who had seen us before asked after the children we care for.

We usually visit during the school half term holidays - wild and windy Cornwall offers much - there is always much to do through the Headland and we look forward to a return trip later this year.

We cannot recommend it too highly

Room Tip: A room with a view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janice B
I am glad to hear you will be joining us again. It will certainly be our pleasure to welcome you all back to the Headland. I would like to thank you for taking time to review the hotel for other potential guests to read it really does make a difference and we appreciate you making the effort. I hope the sun is shining on your next visit; it has been a summer of two halves so far this year!
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed for 5 days and really enjoyed it. The highlight for me was the friendly and attentive service of the staff. I had severe back pain and this made it difficult for me to manage my dog Leo. The staff assisted me in every way possible and seemed pleased to do it.
The hotel's location is breathtaking. The food was of a very high standard.
Overall I would rate this hotel a definite 5 star. Indeed I would go so far as to say it was the best hotel I have ever visited in England.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank BrigadierGerard
Thank you for such a lovely compliment and I must say I am forced to agree with you! I am sorry to hear you suffered with some back pain but very pleased that our staff were able to assist you. They are a true credit to us and I am pleased that you experienced them at their very best. I hope you will return to The Headland in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked a little cottage on the Headlands site - supposed to be a romantic getaway for our 25th wedding anniversary but we ended up taking the dog and our youngest as well. Excellent self-catering accommodation with everything we needed. Very dog-friendly and the sea views were wonderful. Cocktails on the veranda at the hotel and two special meals did not disappoint. Would go back again at the drop of a hat.

Room Tip: Whether you get a sea view or not, being out on a peninsula the sea is all around you anyway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 1421Chiara
That’s wonderful news! I am glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay even if it wasn't the romantic stay you were hoping for! Thank you very much for taking time to review the hotel we will look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Forfar
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed at the Headland for 4 nights from 21 July 13. Hotel & service was exceptional. Breakfast was one of the nicest Hotel breakfast we have had. Location can not be beaten Fistral Beach & just a short walk into Newquay where we found Family Friendly Pubs with good food at a reasonable price.

My husband, 8 year old son & I all enjoyed our stay. We were surprised how much we enjoyed our time at the Hotel & in Newquay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cymru74
Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to have welcomed you and your family. Newquay town is lovely, especially by night; there are lots of family friendly places and the views all across town are exactly how you explained - unbeatable! We are so lucky to have all this on our doorstep and we hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#10 of 21 in St Ives
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#12 of 38 in Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!