“Beautiful.... and very dog friendly ;))”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We spent two days at the Headland just after Christmas and I have to say that it is one of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in England. The view over the beach was lovely even tho it was pouring rain and windy! A very dog friendly hotel, our little Westie loved the run on the beach and didn't mind the wind and rain - he was welcomed everywhere in the hotel except the dining room (fair enough, I didn't want him there either!!). The room was lovely with a four poster bed, bathroom clean - can't fault the room. The food was good - we had dinner and breakfast included - the breakfast was great and the dinner was fine. We did inquire about eating in The Terrace off the bar as we both just wanted a burger, but were told as our meal was included in the price we would have to eat in the formal dining room (or pay separate for the burgers)... sigh. Sometimes, a little flexibility can go a long way. The overall service was great and we would definitely come back again.

1  Thank MurphyWD
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Thank you for this lovely review following your recent stay over the festive period, and I am delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. We have enjoyed some lovely comments from many happy guests who have spent time with us this week and look forward to welcoming many of them back next Christmas if not before.
Thank you for your mention of The Terrace menu and its availability, however due to the style of individually pricing all menu items and in the interests of managing our various packages at this time of year to a very high standard, from experience we know that it would not be in the majority of our guests interests to flex this element of their stay.
With our best wishes and look forward to welcoming you in 2013.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Quite enjoyed our stay. Staff were attentive, restaurant food was of a high quality, and the experimental cayenne peppered 'cactus' cocktails were quickly swapped with more toned-down versions by the head chef whose recipe had been mis-interpreted by inexperienced bar staff.

Lovely touch was the ambient live piano music on Saturday evenings in the restaurant.

Enjoyed the bundled price for room plus food - a really amazing experience to be treated like kings!

Minor point is that with a hotel of this calibre, you would expect more generous toiletries in the bathrooms - a bit of an oddity compared to the sumptuous decor and backdrop that is The Headland.

Room Tip: Try and pick a room on the lower floors - eg. 1st/ 2nd. They have higher ceilings!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for your recent posting on to Trip Advisor, and I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
The Cactus cocktail experience sounds a little intriguing, however something that sounds as though I need to follow up on! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our pianist Helen Nash; she is extremely talented and has recently enjoyed some fantastic exposure during a recent television debut.
Thank you for your comment with regards to our bathroom toiletry presentation, this is not something that I can recall being raised in the past but I do hope that any additional items you may have found necessary to have replenished was attended to efficiently.
We hope to welcome you once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Wonderful hotel, with good food and real ale.

However, be aware of their terms. We booked beacuse of travel difficulites with the weather in December. We booked in person at the reception desk. The receptionist was very keen to take the money off us for the forward booking, but did not mention any terms or conditions. A day late, because of the weather, our plans had changed.

When I tried to cancel the booking (giving them four days notice of cancellation) they charged me a 35% cancellation fee.

I'm sure our local trading standards will be interested when we get home.

Room Tip: Make sure you see their terms in writing before you hand over any money
3  Thank OnchanOnchan

Thank you for sharing your views on this forum, albeit I am not sure about the helpfulness of the content for those who read it, and found it quite confusing to follow.
The vast majority of our guests choose to make their reservations either directly with us on the telephone or through our website. Both the aforementioned methods are accompanied by the stating of our terms and conditions, clearly and specifically relating to our cancellation policy. We regularly review the procedures of like-minded hotel properties and at the current time find our own to be very much 'industry' standard. We always reimburse those guests who have to cancel or cut short their reservation, as long as we are able to re let the room they booked. Many of our guests make their own holiday and travel insurance plans against such eventualities, as they would if they were travelling out of the country.
I am not aware of your own situation in this instance or any of my direct team which is unfortunate, but as always I would be happy to discuss this matter with you further if you would like to contact me.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I decided to visit the Headland with my girlfriend in December 2012 after a recommendation from a friend who had been a few years before. I can’t do the Headland justice over a simply review but I will give it my best shot…

We opted for a Fistral view room and as you can see from the photo I have attached, it was stunning. They have original wooden windows with a further set of soundproof more modern window inside to ensure the room is quiet. The bathroom was luxurious with a nice double ended bath and even better large headed shower overlooking Fistral beach.

The staff were excellent; very friendly and helpful. It’s a large hotel with a lot of guests but they always seemed to remember us and were always more than happy to help. We had breakfast included which we picked after reading the reviews about it. There was a choice of a full English, fresh fruit salad, continental breakfast and additional items such as Eggs benedict and pancakes all of which was delightful. The ocean views added to the lovely atmosphere together with the friendly waiting staff.

My girlfriend and I utilised the swimming pool, sauna, Jacuzzi and steam room on a regular basis during our visit. It seemed brand new; very clean and well finished and an excellent addition to the hotel. There were always fresh towels and the showers down there were exquisite.
We ventured into Padstow one afternoon which I would highly recommend together with going to the Jamie Oliver restaurant in nearby Watergate Bay. We ate out three of our evenings and ate in the restaurant on our last night. My only regret is that we didn’t try the restaurant food earlier as we would have definitely eaten there again; the food was delicious. I had the Lobster Macaroni followed by sharing the Chateaubriand which we shared. I eat lobster semi regularly in London but this didn’t compare with the starter I had at the Headland; it was quite simply the tastiest starter I have had in a very long time.
Usually when writing reviews there is always something which springs to mind as being out of kilter with the rest of the experience, not here. We had a fantastic few days and I am already looking forward to going back next year. The coastal walks across the headland together with the luxurious features of the hotel itself will always provide us with a fond memory of a great few days.

Room Tip: Fistal view was great
4  Thank James T
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Wow and wow again, what a pleasure to read this review following your stay at The Headland. I am delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of the Hotel, as well as finding the time for a visit over to Padstow, not very far away.
Our breakfast service is often commented positively on, we wouldn't dare touch anything with how we currently deliver it, recognising that it is a very important component of any Hotel stay and it should very much be an occasion to look forward to, just as the expectation of dinner conjures up? Speaking of which I am pleased you enjoyed the local lobster macaroni, it has been so well received that we have virtually acclaimed it as one of our ‘signature’ dishes!
As you enjoyed the Wellness area so much, I am sure you will be delighted with the new Spa on its completion in the next few months, it is looking very impressive already!
On behalf of the team please accept our very best wishes from all at The Headland.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Well i'm not sure how to write this review because I feel that with the beauty of the location, the building itself, the rooms and the general prestigious feel of the hotel it could possibly be one of the most delightful hotels in the world. But... and there is a but... the food and beverage service was shocking !!

Now perhaps we stumbled on a bad few days ? I'm not sure... but the lackluster service and poor quality of the bar and restaurant took a shine off of what was a beautiful few days.

Firstly, the hotel. WOW. Its a striking building that lies on cliffs looking down onto Fistral beach. The views from anywhere... from the long driveway, to the restaurant or the rooms is breathtaking. I'm sure the summer does it wonderful justice but believe me, a cold windy and rainy day did it even more. I could have sat for days watching the waves crashing onto the rocks. The check in was fantastic... a young a chap from Hamburg called Stefan who showed us a few rooms and did a lovely discount for upgrading to the larger rooms with four poster beds and a view across the beach. You just could not fault the rooms in terms of presentation, cleanliness and style. The walk in showers, separate toilet, beautiful four poster bed. Wonderful.

The hotel facilities are also fantastic... a lovely pool, sauna and steam room. Each floor has lovely open spaces where and open fireplaces crackle in the late afternoon. Its a place where you could turn up to and never want to leave. There is only one problem... and thats the food and beverage.

Breakfast on the first morning took 50 minutes to arrive thanks to a mix up... but the staff seemed to have little or no control over the kitchen and no-one really had a handling over the situation. The same went for the last evening when we decided to round off the fantastic stay with a night in the hotel restaurant. The starter was lovely and we were primed for the main course... which turned out to be a disaster. Cold, poorly cooked and tough fillet steaks, cold potatoes, cold veg, not a single person asked how our meal was and we had to finally almost literally grab a member of staff to complain. By this time the meal was finished and ruined. After complaining we felt the manger may have come over to chat with us but instead he sent the chap back with our bill and a few things simply removed from it to say sorry. It's funny, but we weren't after a discount... we simply wanted to express our regret that the lovely stay had been tarnished on the last night with another display of poor service and poor quality from the food and beverage section of the hotel. A simple apology may have done the trick to pacify us. Funnily enough our other gripe was one of lack of will to serve us more drinks. In the bar or at the table not a single person noted our empty glasses and offered a new one. In these delicate financial times I would assume that any opportunity to increase sales - especially with the amount of mark up they make on drinks! To make it clear though... none of the staff were rude or difficult...and throughout the hotel they were all wonderful. Just some lack of energy and direction in the bar and restaurant.

Honestly speaking, we probably would have doubled our fairly expensive bar bill over the three days if anyone had whipped the bar staff into shape and ensured they were attentive to their customers. In my opinion the hotel lacked a mature 'management' of the younger bar and restaurant staff and subsequently it falls short of being the perfect hotel. That said.. it's not far short... and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: I stayed in 338 and have to say it's one of the nicest rooms i've ever had the pleasure of s...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ross N

Thank you for such a constructive review of your short stay with us during November whereby you have kindly credited The Headland with some wonderful and truthful facts about our beautiful Hotel. Thank you also for your reference to Stefan; he is currently one of a number of rising stars.
As a team we were dreadfully disappointed to read the change of tone with regards to the poor quality of service and food you received both at breakfast and during your last evening meal, as well as the reception you experienced from our bar servers.
Please accept my unreserved apology for your experience, thankfully this was not the norm that guests of The Headland would normally experience, very much the reverse. The Hotel had a particularly quiet couple of days during your visit and one or two of our team were clearly not on top of their game. Please be assured that these disappointments do get discussed so as to reduce the possibilities of similar occurrences.
It sounds as though you did love much that The Headland had to offer, please do get in touch with me personally if and when you are looking to return. On behalf of the entire team here, please accept my best wishes for a very merry Christmas and a successful year ahead.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

A fantastic place to stay all year round.We stay at the beginning of December this time. The staff were the friendliest and attentive people I have ever met in a hotel. The Hotel was spotless as were the grounds.They welcome dogs which is great as I have two. Definitely going back next year.

Room Tip: Room 303 has excellent views.
1  Thank Jeff S

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Headland, we look welcoming you back once again in the New Year,please accept our best best wishes for Christmas.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed for one night at the end of November in a "splendid" room, which was really nice - four poster bed and a nice sitting area with armchairs and a fireplace. The room also had a decent sized balcony and a fabulous ocean view. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful, with good service and very useful advice on local walks. Food was really impressive and although there was some confusion as to whether we were to eat in the Terrace or the Restaurant this was handled professionally (it's how problems are handled that makes the difference) and we were very impressed with the food in the Restaurant. A great place to relax on a chilly day with a drink by one of the real fires. Breakfast was a good full English with superb Cornish hog's pudding, perhapsnot quite as warm as it might have been, probably due to the distance between the kitchen and the Terrace. Nice indoor pool and the planned improvements promise to be really impressive. Good value for money overall.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are very quiet. Great views from Ocean and Fistral view rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hanbury_family
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for a very positive review following your recent stay with us; it was a pleasure to read. Hopefully you will return in the future and enjoy some more of the warm hospitality and service that our staff strive to deliver at all times within what we think is a very special and beautiful hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!