“Nearly perfect”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Spent a weekend there for my wife's 50th (whoops- sorry dear)- simply the hotel, its staff, the service, and the food was "right" (for example, upon checking in my wife was carrying a bocquet of flowers- without asking the porter obtained a vase and arranged them for her. Also, that evening there was a birthday card on the bed from the staff). The hotel is very relaxing and one feels "at home" from the minute you walk into the foyer.
This hotel is NOT a chain type set-up and retains its Victorian charm from days gone by- it has period decoration and not the brash "in your face" colour schemes of more modern places. Thoroughly recommended for those special occaisions- my only "criticism" is the price which can be a bit scary, but you only pass this way once in your life and you get what you pay for- we'll be back!

Room Tip: get a dinner table near to the windows and just watch the waves!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ChrisJanandAmy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,671)

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We had our wedding at the headland over the may day bank holiday and we couldn't have asked for more. Everything was perfect, the food was delicious and we were upgraded to a superior room. Everyone commented on how lovely the hotel was and how the staff went that extra mile. everyone worked exceptionally hard to make sure our wedding day ran smoothly.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Olney2
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Excellent location, accommodation, food and service. Best in Newquay.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank carnebeach
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I actually booked this hotel (after phoning several others) because the member of staff I spoke with, Louise was so professional and knowledgeable about the facility and the area I felt confident in my choice. She was happy to take the time to listen to the type of accommodation we needed as my husband and I were travelling with a family member.

The hotel is in the most beautiful setting and position. It truly doesn't get any better. The building itself is so majestic coupled with the drama of the cliffs...I could go on and on. The interior is characterful but pristine and luxurious. Imagine Donald Trump collaborating with Miss Marple and I mean that in the most complemenary way. I loved the fact that it's comfortable opulence blended nicely with the surfing groups in residence, no stuffiness here.

Our rooms were lovely and if you are thinking on splashing out a bit on a hotel room this is the place to do it. You will not be disappointed. I would like to return with a stack of reading in the winter and never leave the hotel. The food in both restaurants is superb and cream teas exceptional. The staff are all brilliant; friendly and personable but polite and professional from my initial contact to reception to support and restaurant staff. I am very particular and have travelled extensively for more twenty years and this place is my favourite and my top recommendation.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The location is spectacular, the staff really are charming and bend over backwards to help. Like an earlier reviewer we also got a discounted rate at the last minute, and ended up in one of the older rooms yet to be refurbished. Awful night sleep, room far too hot, bed and pillows lumpy, could hear the people in the next room clearly, arrived at night so did not see the hundreds of pigeons and gulls perched outside our window (the most sheltered side of the building) having to have the window open meant we were woken by loud squawking and other bird noises at 5am...HOWEVER, when we requested we wanted to move rooms for our second night this was obliged without any fuss and a smile. We ended up on the other side of the building in a refurbed room with a view to die for. Down side no internet signal picked up in this room but very good wi fi elsewhere in the hotel (free!). This is hotel is story of two halves, breakfast was poor including the service but evening meal was fantastic all round. Some communal areas spot on, others bit dated and tired. Not enough sun loungers round the outdoor pool, but water was warm as a bath, indoor pool really needs an update especially the jacuzzi. The Headland certainly has its charms, the location, staff, locally sourced menus, just one or two niggles but I think we would try it again.

Room Tip: Ensure you have a newly refurbed room or any room away from the left hand side of the front of the b...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
TheHeadlandHotel, Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Headland on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you thought our location 'spectacular', the staff were 'charming', and your evening meal 'fantastic'; but am very sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that were not as perfect as you had hoped for.

We are constantly undergoing renovation work - over the last thirty two years my family has reinvested over £25 million in our beautiful building. As the next generation joins the business, we have exciting plans for the future!

This winter we will be hopefully finishing the final remaining 13 rooms that need renovating, some will be done in the the traditionally elegant style, whilst others in a more contemporary feel, but I hope that if you choose to return you will get to enjoy one.

The seagulls and pigeons are viewed by some guests as wonderful birds and others as pests, and we try to strike a balance between re-homing some of them and leaving others undisturbed in their natural habitat. We understood that there were some birds making a temporary home on the ledge outside the room you stayed in on your first night, which have subsequently been encouraged to move elsewhere.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt breakfast was poor - normally this is an area we pride ourselves on hugely, and get many very positive comments about. If you do possibly have the time to give me a call to discuss why you thought this, I would be most grateful. We always want to improve, and feedback is the best method of learning our guests’ expectations.

It is a pity you didn't view the extensive renovation plans we have placed on the walls in the main ground floor corridor - as mentioned earlier, and in other reviews, we are doing rather extensive work this winter in the five weeks that we are closed in January and early February.

The Restaurant will be completely renovated, the ground floor areas will be worked on, the remaining bedrooms will be refurbished, and of course the indoor pool will see the biggest change of all! With the creation of a scented steam room, aromatherapy showers, a much larger spa bath, sauna, male, female and family changing rooms, and 'hot bubble steps' amongst other things, it will be totally transformed by May 2012.

I do hope you will visit us again next year when most of our 1st stage renovation work is complete, as I believe we will have addressed most of your concerns you raised in your review.

Best wishes, Veryan Armstrong, General Manager

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Stayed in a Fistral View Suite and it was brilliant! The room was perfect and all the staff were attentive and extremely pleasant. A bit pricey but well worth it. We hope to return at the end of the week.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank LakelandRambler58
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Just returned from our 4th visit to the Headland Cottages. This time we stayed in Huers 1, a one bedroomed cottage with a side sea view. Despite it being in the middle of the summer holidays, the normal high standards of the staff and facilities was evident throughout. All requests were carried out promptly with minimum fuss. For example, as a wheelchair user, I asked if one of the large armchairs could be removed to give me more space to manoeuvre. Within 10 minutes, the porter, resplendent in his Cornish tartan waistcoat, had arrived and reorganised the lounge.
Several of the cottages have 'Disabled Access' although they all slightly vary in what they offer e.g. Bath or wheel in shower, so if that's important to you, it might be worth phoning them to double check your requirements.
When I first visited, I was lucky enough to be shown around 3 cottages so I could compare and contrast, but that would obviously depend on whether they were vacant at the time of visiting. I'm not going to tell you which of the three cottages I liked the best as I don't want it to be booked up all year.
What I love about the cottages is the fact that although they are accessible, they still retain a traditional cottage feel. Obviously Wi-Fi in the cottages would be brilliant, however I try to use my Headland breaks to just chill out and escape from the modern world. The scenery both in Winter and Summer is breathtaking.
Before I get too sycophantic, I do feel the hotel restaurant is a slight weak point of the Headland experience. I have eaten there on several occasions, although to be fair not on this recent visit, and the food and service is very variable. To be fair, I've not had a really bad meal but given the relatively high price, I feel it could do better.
My only other concern is the renovation plans for 2012. Whilst I'm sure many of them are necessary, I hope they don't compromise the experience of those of us who enjoy the 'Cottage' experience. 'Rain Curtains(!)' and 'aromatherapy showers' sound very 21st century, but let's never forget the true star of the Headland is the natural landscape in which it sits.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobD1973
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!