“fantastic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Watergate Bay Touring Park
Ranked #22 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Reviewed July 26, 2012

just brill, fantastic customer service, location was great. I'd be happy to recommend to any caravanners/ campers.

Would be great to have a little more kareoke.

Only a short walk to probably the best beach in th United Kingdom.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times, and have enjoyed it every time. The staff are friendly, pitch sizes are generous and the washing facilities have everything you need. The only thing you need to bring with you is sunshine!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We have stayed at the site many times over the years and think it’s one of the best sites in Cornwall! The staff are great (except the overly laid-back, redneck behind the bar) the pitches are big, well looked after and the toilet / shower block is spotless. The clubhouse has been revamped and has a good family atmosphere
The beach nearby is fantastic – miles of golden sand that would top any beach any where in the world.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank runnerphil
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have been here many times over the last few years (only just thinking to review it finally!) and would definitely recommend it to others (and have done) and return myself! Each year we have had a good experience and enjoyed our time at Watergate Bay.

The campsite itself is really relaxed, the staff are all very friendly, helpful and are there to make sure your stay is a good one, which is sometimes forgotten at some holiday parks! The pitches are well spaced and you don't feel like your too close to your neighbours (we tend to create a barricade between 2 pitches so we have our own little castle!). The park leans itself towards families with good facilities including the swimming pool, games room, play area etc but as a group of mid 20yr olds, we didn't feel out of place. The shop is always well stocked and the breakfast from the cafe are just what you need after a good night out! The showers and communal kitchen blocks are always clean and well kept.

Watergate Bay beach is only a short drive (shuttle bus provided in summer) and is a lovely beach to surf and sunbath on. Jamie Oliver's restaurant Fifteen is there and then the drive in to Newquay town is not far either. One great thing we found was being able to walk along the lanes to a cliff top to watch the stars at night - but be careful and take torches! Taxi's in to Newquay and back at night are pretty reasonably priced too.

Things to be mindful of:
- The campsite is in the flight path for Newquay Airport so early morning planes sound extremely loud as they fly past a few feet from you tent (or so it feels) however, there are not that many planes & its like an alarm towards the end of the week!
- Showers are energy saving and so only last a few minutes at a time, you have to keep pushing the button, and I have had to have a cold shower once or twice so choose shower times cautiously.
- The cafe and games room are a little outdated in terms of appearance, but that's just look - the content is good!
- In summer season, the campsite expands and if you are in the back fields it can be a walk to the shower blocks & washing up facilities and you also have to deal with the cows in the next field with their noises and smells!

Overall - Watergate Bay is a great place to stay with friends or family as long as you like camping/caravanning and looking for a friendly park with good facilities.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mrs_Eros
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We camped here for the May day bank holiday weekend and had a great time. Due to poor weather reports and being out of school holidays, the campsite was busy but by no means full. We had some trouble finding the site using our sat nav, but knew from instructions to head along the road to the airport so with this extra information we were fine. The site is in a good location up from Watergate Bay and is reasonable walking distance along the narrow road, probably 10 mins max. However, because there is no footpath I would hesitate to walk with children down to the bay itself.
The campsite was great, plenty of room on the pitches and the grass was completely flat and drained really well. The showers are some of the best I have ever been to. Lots of room with about 7 shower cubicles, the same with cubicles with just a sink and the same with toilets. It is a nice touch that you get the radio piped in during the mornings! The showers were really hot and there was plenty of room to change without getting your clothes wet. The only difficulty was that you always had to press the button in for it to work, but once I figured out how to wash my hair with one hand I was fine. I guess it prevents people staying in there too long!
The shop was reasonable and all of the staff I met were really friendly. I would definitely come back out of the school holidays but I suspect that during the holidays the site would be too busy and crowded for me due to its good facilities.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I've stayed here several times and only just got round to reviewing the place!

Personally I really enjoy staying at Watergate Bay, it's quite a chilled out campsite. Amenities are not that great, pool is small and so is the shop, but the breakfasts at the cafe are excellent! During summer they have a minibus running down to the beach, you could walk it but it's down a country lane (maybe a bit dodgy with kids) and you'd have an uphill walk to contend with on the way back, tricky when you've got loads of beach stuff! The pitches are flat and toilet facilities are really clean and big enough to provide for the whole campsite. The only warning thing I would say is that a couple of times I have stayed here in a large group, among many other large groups - so it can get a bit noisy, sometimes until the early hours. Maybe not so great for families at these times (around the Newquay Boardmasters Festival particularly). It's very good value for money though. There's a play area and tennis court as well, if I remember rightly you can hire tennis equipment.

Newquay is only a short drive away, this campsite offers an escape from the madness over there. I've never tried some of the Newquay campsites but have heard many bad things, so for me Watergate Bay is always the place to go. The beach is lovely too, really big, safe (lifeguards etc) with shop, restaurants (inc. Jamie Oliver's '15') and surf board hire.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We have stayed at this site several times now over the last few years - each time has been in one of their statics. We always find the site, staff, all amenities and caravans absolutely spotless. The games room is farily small but well equipped which is great for the kids as you know where they are and they only need a small amount of money which is always a bonus. We only used the cafe for breakfast and it was really tasty with good quality food at reasonable prices. We visit the bar a few times during our holiday and we've always been made to feel very welcome. The bar has a good selection at good prices. The swimming pool is much better now it has a "convertible roof". We used it daily last year and its nice to know theres something to do with our unreliable Great British Weather. The shop is well stocked and the tennis court, playground and skate area are all fantasic family fun. Watergate Bay itself is a very short distance away and is stunning.

Room Tip: Both static caravans are spotless and of very good quality