“Didint sit down to eat as staff rude”

Maharajah Indian Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 255 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Maharajah restaurant which was established in 1980 is open from 5.30 pm until late, seven days a week. The restaurant is the only real Indian restaurant in Newquay (and possibly Cornwall) here you will find traditional Indian food served in a restaurant with the most outstanding sea views.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stood and waited to be seated for a while ,but in the end had to approach a member of staff behind the counter. No professional greeting or hello the woman just said 'takeaway?' without even looking up. They all seemed to be very stressed out with takeaways so didnt notice us, sit down customers waiting to be seen to. We didnt like the way we were treated so didnt stay.Id heard good and bad but unfortunately didnt get opportunity to eat there.Customer service needs improving with someone at the front of house to meet and greet. Not nice for new customers to be made to feel so unwelcome.

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

I appreciate you taking time to write your review. I did ask you to contact me so that we could discuss your complaints but to date you have not done so. I apologise if you had the impression that our staff were rude and not interested in you. This is certainly not the case. I have made enquiries and our head waiter is certain that he spoke to you and asked you to take a seat whilst they found a table for you but possibly there was some misunderstanding. I am sorry that you felt you could not wait to eat with us and I apologise again that you felt you were not made welcome. I would ask again that you reply to my email through TripAdvisor so that we may discuss this.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,331)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Took my grandmother here while she was down visiting on holiday for her 80th birthday, as always a delight to visit, the staff were so sweet to her, made it a really special evening, place is clean, v nice decor,staff are friendly. Food came out nicely cooked and hot, crockery was clean, I have never had dirty crockery here....so no idea what other reviewer was on about.....
I am veggie and there is a great choice of vegetarian curries here
extremely pleasant evening thoroughly enjoyed by all
will continue to use this restaurant
top notch a+

1  Thank kernowqueen1984
mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for your great review. I am pleased we were able to help you celebrate your grandmother's birthday and hope we will be able to do the same next year but hope to see you again before then.

Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Very good food everytime, whether takeaway or sit down meal. Only authentic Indian in Newquay unlike the others ... Good value and friendly staff.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Having seen how many good reviews this restaurant has on here I thought I'd give it a go being a bit of a curry connoisseur myself.

Now I'm not one to complain unnecessarily but this place really isn't good. So many people comment on the authenticity but the only only thing authentic about this restaurant is the filthy crockery and the sick feeling in your stomach after eating.

The food is disgusting. Loaded with artificial additives and colorings and completely tasteless. I could only eat half of my meal which is a first for me in a curry house! Just to top it off my meal came to nearly £30 for one person!! Hands down the most expensive Indian I have ever seen.

The only thing in its favour is the view out the back across the bay.

A curry house of this standard could only be successful in Cornwall. It wouldn't last 5 minutes anywhere else in the country.

2  Thank fondula

I am sure you will not be surprised when I say we are both shocked and dismayed with your review. It is misleading to say the least! According to our records you ordered drinks, a starter, a main with a side, rice and naan. The only part not eaten was the side dish as presumably you were full, we do know our portions are generous. Our kitchens and restaurant have just been awarded 5* for cleanliness and hygiene by the local council inspectors, I know we would not have been awarded this accolade had we been serving food on dirty crockery! To be honest we are offended that you felt the necessity to write the review that you have. Our food is authentic, uses high quality, fresh ingredients and is cooked by Indian chefs. We have been serving traditional Indian food in Newquay for over 34 years and welcome as our customers many professional Indian families from around the area which we take as a complement to our food, service and authenticity. I am only sorry you do not agree.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This place is so busy we had to book for later in the evening, this was good news. We returned an hour later to be seated immediatly. The service was great & the food was faultless. A nice touch is the small pots on a long tray for the poppadoms. The food was served very hot & in a good time. The service was rewarded with a generous tip as it was attentive but not over the top . Eat here & you wont be dissapointed .
We will be here again with more friends next year, Thank you.

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.