“I dont use Trip Advisor but for this place I had too!”

Maharajah Indian Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 244 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Maharajah restaurant which was established in 1980 is open from 5.30 pm until late, seven days a week. The restaurant is the only real Indian restaurant in Newquay (and possibly Cornwall) here you will find traditional Indian food served in a restaurant with the most outstanding sea views.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Firstly, a bit of background...I travel a lot and enjoy staying in a number of hotels. During this time I visit a high number of restaurants. For the people looking for a quick answer ... THIS IS SIMPLY THE BEST INDIAN RESTAURANT I HAVE BEEN TOO, NATIONALLY. To think it is in the same country as me is a blessing.

This being our first time in Newquay we wanted to visit a nice restaurant for some good food. Talking to 2 locals (taxi driver and shop assistant) both suggested Maharajah before any other restaurant. We took this as a sign.

This is the first time I have eaten a meal and felt regret...regret knowing the location of this restaurant is 2.5 hours away from me, and I wont be able to visit more often.

Value for money + Quality of food
We arrived with a party of 6, without a booking. Although they were busy. they were happy to accommodate us. We waited with drinks in the bar area, we were told it would be a 30 minute wait, and it was very close to this. We were happy.

We went for a meal for 6 option. Which gave us 6 starters and a variety of curry dishes (all different strength of tastes). This also included a lot of side dishes and desert for all. This worked out at around £20 each. The dishes were laid out in front of us and this gave us the option to try all varieties of currys and sides. the party included 4 large men..which didn't manage to finish the dishes. We were surprised ourselves!!
Some members of the party cannot handle hot food, the options given in regards to curry dishes ment this was not a problem, in fact they walked out liking Indian food!

Location - Centre of Newquay, but not in the heart of. Those looking for a quiet relaxed night out, will not find themselves in the hussle of clubs and it's music. but those looking to go out for drinks afterwards, will find this is in very short walking distance to the clubs.

Scenic view - It over looks the beach. Amazing views, couples should visit just to watch the sunset!

Staff - Staff are all friendly and helpful. Staff very experienced, the timing of refreshments and delivery/taking away of food was very good. Customer service is where I felt Maharajah were unrivaled. Staff are happy to have a talk and joke with you, they don't just come up and ask the usual "is everything okay with your meal?" , they have more confidence then that.

Ricki - Mauritius

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Wow! what more can I add - thank you so much for a fantastic review. I know Bristol is a long way away but please come and see us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Maharajah Indian Restaurant

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Visited Cornwall recently, went for a Indian meal at Maharajah (Indian Restaurant) in a group of 25.

Excellent service, amazing authentic Indian food.
Gem of a restaurant !

Will recommend to one and all......

Gaurav

Thank you for your great review and we look forward to welconing you back again.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Fabulous Indian restaurant, went with a group of my friends and family for my 40th, exquisite food, wonderful views, excellent staff and a very entertaining owner who knows how to look after his guests, cannot recommend highly enough...FANTASTIC!

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for your great review. Your comments reflect the ethos of our restaurant and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I can say this is one of the best Indian food (authentic Indian food not Bangladeshi or Nepali or any other stuff) in UK.
Ordered vegetarian dishes during my stay in New Quay during Aug 2012 and by any means was highly satisfied with the staff, food quality.

There is def a problem with car parking because of its busy location and not many parking spaces allocated. (I was luckily to manage one car space during my visit though)

If you are an Indian and want to more spicy or customised according to your taste buds, you can ask chef to make it in Indian spicy way

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and I can confirm your comment regarding 'customising' the dishes, all our food is freshly cooked which enables Chef to cook to your liking. Car parking is also available near the railway station a very few minutes walk awayor there is on street parking available around the restaurant. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went to get a takeaway on Saturday night for my Mum's special birthday meal. The restaurant had been recommended to us and my Mum and her husband had eaten there before. However, it was obvious that more than two people were eating due to the amount of food that we'd ordered, but we only got 2 very small samosas, other small starters, and no free poppadums. In my experience, takeaways usually throw in a couple of free poppadums!! The meat was good quality, however, and the lamb karahi in particular was very tasty. The saag aloo was a bit gloopy, but I think the spicing was correct in everything - if it said hot, it was hot, yummy! All in all, I think they could do better, and I would probably visit again if we go there on holiday again.

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your takeaway and belated birthday greeting to your Mum. It is the first time that our samosas, made of high quality meat, have ever been called small, they are the average restaurant size samosa, however i am sorry that you were disappopinted. In over forty years experience in Indian restaurants, having eaten in many across the world, very few give 'free' papadams, their cost probably having been incorporated into your overall price. Think of the old saying about a free meal!! I apologise that our saag aloo was not to your liking, this dish has always proved very popular with locals, visitors and especially Indian nationals. I do hope you will come and see us again when you are next in Newquay.