“A bit inconsistent, but tasty enough”

Maharajah Indian Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 265 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Maharajah restaurant which was established in 1980 is open from 5.30 pm until late, seven days a week. The restaurant is the only real Indian restaurant in Newquay (and possibly Cornwall) here you will find traditional Indian food served in a restaurant with the most outstanding sea views.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went to get a takeaway on Saturday night for my Mum's special birthday meal. The restaurant had been recommended to us and my Mum and her husband had eaten there before. However, it was obvious that more than two people were eating due to the amount of food that we'd ordered, but we only got 2 very small samosas, other small starters, and no free poppadums. In my experience, takeaways usually throw in a couple of free poppadums!! The meat was good quality, however, and the lamb karahi in particular was very tasty. The saag aloo was a bit gloopy, but I think the spicing was correct in everything - if it said hot, it was hot, yummy! All in all, I think they could do better, and I would probably visit again if we go there on holiday again.

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your takeaway and belated birthday greeting to your Mum. It is the first time that our samosas, made of high quality meat, have ever been called small, they are the average restaurant size samosa, however i am sorry that you were disappopinted. In over forty years experience in Indian restaurants, having eaten in many across the world, very few give 'free' papadams, their cost probably having been incorporated into your overall price. Think of the old saying about a free meal!! I apologise that our saag aloo was not to your liking, this dish has always proved very popular with locals, visitors and especially Indian nationals. I do hope you will come and see us again when you are next in Newquay.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,519)

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I can't handle hot food and I tend to know what I like though and tried buttered chicken and chicken passanda with a side of sag aloo. The passanda was good but the buttered chicken was a little spicy for my tastes. The sag aloo was really spicy too which I've never encountered before. It was by no means bad and each chef must cook their dishes differently but it wasn't for me. The staff were really nice though, made us feel very welcome. They made onion rice for me too even though it wasn't on the menu which was really good of them. The prices weren't amazing but it wasn't excessive and you got plenty of each dish. If you like Indian food and can handle spice I'd recommend it.

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your meal and I hope, if we are able to welcome you back, you will tell your waiter that you don't like your food too spicy. All our dishes are freshly cooked and our chefs are only too happy to help as you found with your onion rice.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Our friends had recommended this place for superb food and magnificent views, and the Maharajah lived up to everything we had been told. It was a good idea to make a reservation, as it was very busy but service was perfectly paced. We all ordered different dishes and everyone was very impressed with the quality of the food, and with the friendly, professional service.

The views from the restaurant were unforgettable and that is another reason to visit.

Thank you for your great review. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and that all your party were impressed. We can't claim ownership of the view but I am glad you enjoyed it as much as we do. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Busy place and had no reservation so had to wait approx 45mins, but worth the wait.
Food as good as any I have ever had (including Birmingham the Balti capital of England).
Staff polite and courteous, the Boss is a jolly fellow and makes you feel welcome.
Worth 9½ out of 10 (I've never given 10 out of 10, it's an ideal to aim for!)
Will go back when in the area again.

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for your great review. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and the whole experience and we look forward to your next visit when we will aim for 10 out of 10!!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We went at busy time on a Friday evening . However, the restaurant manager managed to fit us in and we were lucky enougth to get a sea view. The food and service were excellent and I would recommend the authentic masala fish of the day . Seabass was on the menu and cooked in the masala made for a special meal. The evening was finished by watching a beautiful sunset at our table. 10/10

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your evening, the food and service we are proud of, the view from our restaurant we can't claim to be reswponsibloe for but i am pleased you enjoyed it as much as we do. We look forward to welcoming you back.