“Is it going downhill?”

Maharajah Indian Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 240 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Maharajah restaurant which was established in 1980 is open from 5.30 pm until late, seven days a week. The restaurant is the only real Indian restaurant in Newquay (and possibly Cornwall) here you will find traditional Indian food served in a restaurant with the most outstanding sea views.
Cornwall
“Is it going downhill?”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This restaurant has been a great favourite for me and my family for many years. I have usually thought there is something special about the cooking there and particularly like that there is always a good variety of fresh vegetables in their vegetable dishes and that the vegetables are cooked just right and not overcooked. We go there every couple of months and have takeaways very frequently. However last time we went there (a week last Sunday) it was a great disappointment. Two of the three dishes that we had were 10 times as hot as normal and one of them was just not edible (and we like hot curries). When we told the waiter nothing was deducted from our bill although that dish was uneaten. If it had been the usual staff they would have realised there was something wrong but the waiter didn't know us. I should hve made a fuss but didn't.

Also the prices have jumped up by £1 a dish and now that you can only get Cobra or Kingfisher there it costs £4 for a pint of beer. As well as this there was much less variety of vegetables - mainly cauli and cabbage so I felt we had an expensive (for Indian) crap meal and had been so looking forward to it. I might have to think about changing my allegiance. I'm noticing there are a few bad reviews recently

• Visited February 2013
mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review but I wish you had taken the time to tell us you were not happy with your meal on the day. It is a lot easier to put things right immediately. As a regular customer you must know how important it is for us to get it right - this time for you we obviously did not, for which I apologise. You enjoy Indian food, normally enjoy ours, so know that green chillies can vary in 'heat' and as we always cook from fresh sometimes the dishes can and do have more heat. We realise we cannot please everyone all the time but please accept our sincere apologies and please make yourself known to our duty manager next time you come - which I hope will not be too far away.

“Best Indian I have had”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The food is excellent and the place looks great. I have already booked for the day after my wedding and it's over an hour and a half away. Every time I go to newquay I eat here

mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I can confirm that we have your booking for October and are looking forward to welcoming you back.
St.Tudy
“Really good Indian experience”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

As a family who tries Indian restaurants all over the country, this is the one that we always come to for a special family get together, we have done so since we found it 20 years ago. The service is second to none. The food is always special without exception. The property itself is new and the dining room has a view that could not be bettered. Fantastic experience every time.

• Visited November 2012
mfbSWEngland, Manager at Maharajah Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your great review. 20 years is a long time and we are pleased that you keep coming back and enjoying it each time - long may it continue!
Poole, United Kingdom
“Best Indian Meal In Cornwall”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Great tasting food Great service I was with a business partner we had a unrushed meal while conducting business, The meal was very tasty the service first class .No one rushed us to finish the price for the meal and drinks reflected the quality of the food and drinks

• Visited January 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal, we are proud of our level of service and the food we serve is traditional using fresh ingredients. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Summercourt, United Kingdom
“Good Food excellent service”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We walked through Newquay looking for a restaurant, and by chance we found The Maharajah. Good Food and excellent service.
Unfortunately I'm one of the awkward customers as my body can't digest dairy fat, so no cheese butter, cream etc, and since I became ill I'm unable to have too spicy food. Often we miss out as not all kitchens can accommodate. My wife who loves indian food then misses out too.
Not only did the chef cook our food taking into account the above, it was so beautifully spiced, subtle flavours, one of the best indian meals we have had. We will be going back very soon.

• Visited January 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you were both able to enjoy your meal with us. All our food is freshly prepared so we are able to meet our guests dietary requirements and our waiting staff are always happy to advise. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.