“CLOSED!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have previously visited for food after a lovely walk on Holywell beach with the dog. However, yesterday we tried to visit and the place is all closed up. A small sign says 'closed until March 14 for refurbishments'. There is no sign of life or builders and I fear something financial may have happened?? For the time being don't bother going.

4  Thank Angel F
chris5489, Owner at St Pirans Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you for your review that you have left. I find it strange you would want to do this, when clearly the Inn is closed for re-furbishment works which are being carried out. what you did not see is the kitchen is being ripped apart along with the ladies toilets, also two of the guest rooms are being redecorated, all ready for the new season.
We are now a seasonal pub as during the winter months there are no holiday parks open and the weather is too harsh for people coming to the beach, so we made the decision to close for the winter and re-open in March 2014. We still live above the pub, but do not spend all day just hanging around the empty bar or waiting outside just to greet and meet and then inform the public we are closed.
We would all like to thank everybody for their custom over the last 8 months and look forward to all your reviews, good and bad. We can only get better from the mistakes that are brought to our attention, and learn from them, hopefully to improve each year. Most of the time we get it right but even in the best of places its hard to get it right all the time. Hopefully we will see you in the new year when we re-open with a new look and new improved menu, Please visit our web site for all information needed as we do not want any of our customers to make an unwanted trip. Have a lovely new year to all, and see you all when we re-open Chris Jilli and all the team from the St. Pirans

There are newer reviews for St Pirans Inn

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Before taking my son, husband and two dogs into the Inn I checked that children and dogs were welcome. The bar staff said yes no problem as long as we sat in the uncarpeted area which was fine and expected in most pubs/inns. I thanked them and said we would be back in 20 mins after walking the dogs. When we came back and went to sit down a man appeared and shouted "You can't sit there". I said sorry as I thought I'd misunderstood the bar staff. I asked where we should sit and was unbelievably told nowhere because he had polished the table legs. I thought he was joking. He reluctantly said we could sit at a sofa and low coffee table which was not suitable to have dinner at especially with a three year old child who couldn't reach the table from the sofa. I said the table was no good and was shocked to receive the response in an agressive tone "oh just sit where you like". We couldn't quite believe it and said no thank you. This visit was on Wednesday 9th October in the evening. The place is shut on a Monday and Tuesday so clearly they are not that interested in serving a family a meal and drink which would have cost around £60 but very keen to polish the table legs. Weird.

7  Thank Emma M
chris5489, Manager at St Pirans Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Firstly, i find your review rude! You were welcomed into our establishment with two huge dogs, soaking wet, smelling of wet dog and covered in sand, and the only request we had was that you didn't sit in the dining area, as we had just varnished a table and the smell of varnish would be unpleasant for you!! This seemed an unreasonable request as far as you were concerned even though there were 20 other tables to choose from.You asked for dinner, but it was 4.20 pm, and the kitchen is not open until 5.30. I think you will find this is quite normal for a restaurant as we need time to clear down from lunch and prep for evening service.
We offered you the sofa area as we thought it would be more comfortable for you to sit and wait for the kitchen to open, but this was clearly not good enough and you chose to leave.
I am sorry we are not open 24/7 for food, but we do try and please our customers and go the extra mile as most of our reviews will testify to.
Sorry you were disappointed, but so were we when we read your review which was untrue and strangely bitter??

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I stopped in here for a quick lunch on day 2 of 4 walking part of the SWCP from Padstow to St. Ives.
We both had the rump steak sandwich and a pint of Tribute, which set us up superbly for the rest of that day's walk.

1  Thank GrumpsDC
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had a meal here on Saturday 5 October as we were staying at Holywell Bay holiday park. Not knowing if they were busy or not I emailed ahead and pre-booked. It turned out that as it was out of season that wasn't really necessary. However we were greeted by staff and allowed to choose a table. We were served really good food and had an enjoyable evening. When speaking with the owner Chris on leaving he stated that he would need to close for most of the autumn and winter, which is understandable but such a shame. I would urge anyone reading this to go there for dinner, or any meal. Lovely place right on the beach.

2  Thank David M
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We have visited this Inn for many years,and are disappointed in the way it as gone down hill lately
the lighting is so dim you can hardly see your change , there is no Hot water in the Toilets to wash your hands , and the menu is straight out of a Cafe , with ordinary meals at Restaurant Prices ,all pointing to penny pinching,the Staff are nice , and it is a nice Inn to have a dink but eat else where if you want Value for your Money

6  Thank Raymond H