“Great food at a good price”
Review of Shanghai Express

Shanghai Express
Ranked #31 of 253 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We went to the Shanghai Express on the recommendation of our hosts and we were not disappointed. Decent portions, cooked well with no grease or excessive salt. Table service was really good too. We'll definitely return here when we're in the area.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I live in perranprth and always come to Shanghi Express, it is simply the best chinese restaurant in Cornwall. I love the Chicken Satay and had it today, it is served on a bed of fresh crunchy vegtables (onion, Pepper, Carrots & pineapple) the pea nut satay sauce is FANTASTIC. The person who wrote the bad review must have mistaken this for a different restaurant. Ive never had a greasy dish yet, it is always cooked to perfection. I can strongly recommend the crispy chilli Chicken too that is my favourite dish. Lenny (the owner) is the most welcoming host and all the staff are lovely with great service. So if your in newquay give it a try you will be happy with your choice and value for money is exceptional!

1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Whilst visiting Newquay for a wedding, we used Tripadvisor to guide us for our dinner destination. Seeing as Shanghai Express was rated highly and right on our doorstep, we decided to go and give it a try.

Upon arrival, we were all sceptical. A yellow sign telling us to go up a flight of stairs to the restaurant seemed slightly odd, but once we got in the restaurant we found it was actually very busy to our relief!

The menu was large and had a huge choice of variety. We ordered a range of starters (including duck and the variety starter) and pretty much all the food was very nice.

The main meals were also great. We were in a group of four and got 4 dishes to share and once again, none of the food let us down. The portions were also very good.

The service was excellent. We had one very friendly blonde lady and another Chinese lady who were extremely attentive and were even kind enough to point out that we may have ordered too much food first time round (luckily we took their advice!).

The atmosphere of the restaurant is ok, is is an average size room but no particular effort has been made to make it stand out, but luckily the quality of the food outweighs the average ambience.

Value for money was also very good, between four of us we only paid just over £17 each including starters, mains, sides, an alcoholic drink and a tip.

If you want a satisfying Chinese meal, I would happily recommend visiting this restaurant!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The restaurant was nice, the portions big and the servers were very friendly and hospitable. I would recommend to diners in Newquay who are after good chinese meal.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I always use trip advisor as it never fails but on this occasion the reviews don't match the terrible food we ate last week. we were on holiday and my husbands birthday. the starter of chicken satay was covered in a thick yellow curry sauce and was chewy. on my main of pork and vegetables I could not believe it when they put the dish down, it was pork on a bed of just fried onions and a bit of green pepper and it was sitting in a pool of fat. no one came to ask how the food was and I certainly did no want to upset my husband on this day but it was terrible. his dish was a curry and and was tastless no spice or flavour. do not believe all the good reviews I was very disappointed and it was a waste of money and our evening.

4  Thank jue r