“Great weekend!”

Smarties Surf Lodge
Ranked #12 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Me and 2 friends went for a surf weekend, stayed in a 3 bed dorm.
Everything was great, price, room, location and the owner is really nice!

Only 5mins walk to town and beach so all good!

Would stay again!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barrie W

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Been back to Smarties two years in a row, one with friends and one as a couple. Couldn't recommend it enough. Jackie is helpful, friendly and really knows her stuff about surfing and the local area. Can't wait to book again for next year, and wish I had gone to Smarties sooner. Great value for money and close to Fistral as well as some nice pubs too. If you are looking for something simple and great value I would definitely recommend. Rooms include kettles and TV, which is perfect. Thanks Jackie, see you next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great value surf lodge excellent breakfast. Location ideal - didn't need to use the car at all as everywhere is a few minutes walk. Free parking over the winter (from Oct 1st) on the street outside which is an added bonus. Bunk bed mattresses not brilliant (remember it is a surf lodge not a 4 star hotel ) but should be exhausted after surfing so should sleep anyway . Didn't try the shower as used the one at the surf school (Escape Surf - brilliant surf lessons.) Jackie is lovely and her banana cake is delicious! Great fun having a room we could all go in together. Will definitely be going back but will take an extra duvet to lie on !

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have just returned from spending a week staying at Smarties whilst surfing in Newquay and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Jackie (the owner) was there to great me when I arrived, she showed me around the place and gave me some useful tips on where to go and what to see while I was in the area.

The rooms themselves are basic, but very clean and well maintained, the 3 bunk room I stayed in had a sink and coffee making facilities, which was very useful.

I didn't opt for the breakfast, as I was up and out early every morning, however the smell was delicious as I rushed out the door, damp wetsuit in hand.

The surf lodge itself is a 5 minute walk from the town centre (down the hill) and a 10 minute walk to Fistral beach if you take the footpath along the edge of the Golf Course. If you need provisions there is a great Spa 100m down the road opposite a very handy launderette which is open until 20:00.

As a number of people have pointed out, parking is a bit awkward outside of the lodge, however easy parking can be found on any of the adjacent streets, and I had no problems leaving my car there for a week.

Top tips: when checking in, remember to ask for the front door code, and the WiFi password and write them down ! Also after a hard days paddling, the Headlands Hotel Spa will let you use all of the facilities for £12 per person (which is more than worth).

All in all a cracking place, with a friendly owner, which is good value for money. I will certainly be staying there again for my next trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

12 of us stayed at Smarties for a stag weekend. The rooms are basic but perfectly clean , comfortable and great value for money. Jackie was friendly and accomodating. She greeted us with a cold beer and homemade banana cake-a really nice touch. Members of our party arrived at different times of the day/ evening and jackie came back to check each in without complaint. Jackie understandably requested a £30 bond off each member of our party which wss refunded after s room check before we left.Five minutes walk from the town centre , highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

So, I don't know where the one star guy stayed because I thought it was top notch, 5 of us stayed in one room for a stag do weekend and it had everything we needed for a brilliant weekend!! I would definitely go back, Newquay is probably one of the nicest places I've ever been to in the UK (after Yorkshire of course!!) and smarties is in the perfect place with it being 5 mins to town, 5 mins to the beach, loved it :)

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed hear over the August bank holiday for my stag do and Jackie could not have been more helpfull and fair with us. The rooms are well kitted out for groups and are very clean and modern. Location is ideal as just a short walk to town of Fistral beach with a long stay car park just close by. Very happy with our stay hear and thanks to Jackie for putting up with us.

• Stayed: August 2013