“Not a Hotel, it is a Surf Lodge/Hostel.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lusty Glaze Lodge

Lusty Glaze Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Lusty Glaze Lodge
Ranked #72 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Newquay
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not a Hotel, it is a Surf Lodge/Hostel.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

I arrived at this place expecting a hotel, but its not, there are no TV's, towels or kettles in the room! And its not squeaky clean!
If you want a hotel dont book, if you want a room in a dated building that is due to be knocked down in 2011 and are happy to slum it then go ahead.
Saying that the staff were friendly and enjoyed chatting to us. But this is definately not the kind of place I would stay again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Stevenage, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

This place is a dump.do not go there .no towels hair dryer,tv.was gonna be pulled down but kindly stayed open to fleece more mugs..building site next door.place smells is dirty is overpriced .bar shuts at ten..rubbish avoid at all costs

• Stayed July 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

I booked this hotel for 2 couples. We were planning nothing more than to go there , drop our bags off and go out again . The staff are super friendly ( And yes there are no towels provided , but i brought my own anyway ) . In it's day you can tell that this place was really good, the only thing wrong with it to me is the decor which is a bit 80's , but still better than some of the dumps i've stayed in before in newquay

The room is not the ritz plaza ... it was a double bed with a sea view and a shower and clean (although saw a stain on the carpet in the corner ).... perfect for what we wanted, i'm sure there are cleaner places with trendy pictures of a glass of wine at an angle , but they're 2-3 x the price !!!! simple

And the happy hour in the bar was much appreciated £2 pint of cornish rattler

So to sum it up this place isnt a hotel , nor is it a surf lodge 1 ..its just basic accom & if you need a simple place to stay you wont be dissapointed

1 Thank surftolivetosurf
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

Mange Tout,
My name is Basil and I brought my 11 kids along for a fun packed weekend. I have read some of the reviews for the "Lusty Glaze Hotel" formally the "Hotel Riveria" and too be honest I'm not sure why the hotel is being knocked.
On arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a fantasically big old old building with gorgeous views of the seafront, local aminities including a putting green with 99% rough.
The young chap we were greeted by was extremely helpful and pleasent at the desk and said unfortunately there was no towels provided but you did get a free sock or jocks on your pillow, which was spleeennnndiiiddd.
The wife and I's first room was ok but as we are a trying for our 12th child so i felt the bunk beds were not suitable for our needs but the children loved them in the other rooms and even turned one of them upside down.
I asked the young chap if we could change rooms and he gave us a lovely room with a great view of the sea that had a really old antiquey smell, At first I wasn't sure if it was from the 3 desks in the room or just the sea but may have been the carpeted bathroom, but either way the wife loved the bed.
Unfortunately they don't serve lunch or dinner on the premises, but I did hear a lovely Irish chap, looked a bit like Alan from the Hangover ,saying that he had seen chicken wings. Either way we were up to early to sample the Breakfast which was on offer from 5am.
Only one critisism of the hotel, in that we had expected a night of ballroom dancing which we had heard a lot about from previous couples. It did however look like someone had a good night previously as there were socks and shoes lying about. I did however find the man lying in his jocks asleep on the snooker table a little disturbing but people are their to enjoy themselves.
The kids had a great time in the town and even tried to bring some of the other kids we met back to play but they weren't keen.
We decided to leave a night early and spend our last night under the stars. The young chap was again so polite behind the desk and didnt even ask us why we were leaving.
Overall a splendid place and I will definitely be back for those Chicken wings so talked about.
Basil.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank louis080
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is certainly NOT the Hotel Riviera it once was! We were a group booking that got a range of different rooms. I was assured twin rooms (two single beds) but was met with bunk beds in some rooms (their stability was questionable). The selection of gifts let for us in our rooms were lovely and very thoughtfull; half eaten chicken wings, used men's boxers, half of the sand from Newquay beach, our bed sheets for us to put on ourselves.....amoungst other things. In the communal areas the selection was just as good; socks, towels, beers cans, banana peels....all of which were still there when we left 2 days later! One of the rooms also smelt like Big Foot took a leak in the room everyday for a year and we arrived! Rancid!
We were assured the bar is open all night but the night porter basically told us where to go when we asked for a drink at 4am. I would have liked to sample something from their fine spirit collection......they had 1 bottle of Gordan's Gin and that's it!

If you want to stay somewhere cheap, unclean and a place that once the woman you are chatting up discovers where she will be potentially staying (until her walk of shame in the morning) she'll vanish before your eyes, then by all means stay here. Otherwise check into another hotel like 2 of our lads did!

Like Nike doesnt say....." Don't Do It"

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank AlanGarnerJD
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

I want to get a tshirt made “I didn’t survive the Lusty Glaze Lodge – and I’m proud of it”

This is without doubt the worst place on earth I have ever stayed. End of story!

I may have been suffering hallucinations caused by the smell of the place, but I’m reasonably sure that I saw Bear Grylls in my room during the night looking for food he could eat, and then puke because it was even too disgusting for him!! To be fair the chicken wing that was sitting in the room when we arrived did look as though it had been there a fair while, and may have been too much even for Mr Grylls.

The good news is that if you lose your socks on your stay at the Lusty Glaze you will have no difficulty finding new ones, it seems like every room has been pre supplied with a damp used pair to mitigate the smell from the carpeted bathrooms. Oh also on a positive note, there is enough sand in the rooms to make sand castles – small ones, which is always fun!

Also if you like desks, you will LOVE the Lusty Glaze. There is at least one in every room that our party stayed in, and in many cases members of our group decided to place their mattresses on the desks as they were more comfortable than the beds.

Can’t comment on the breakfast – I checked out before I could bring myself to risk eating in the place. Bring towels, bring toilet paper (they do supply “a” roll, but a second one seems to be a bridge to far. Do not stay in room 109 …. If you get that key … run away, to quote a famous movie “it smells like Big Foots ....”

C.

1 Thank Cliffy34
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed there for a stag weekend and it was good enough for what we needed. The beds were clean and comfortable. My only real complaint was the bath didn't work in my room and no shower. Staff were spot on and the bar was £2 a pint.