“a really cosy place”

Cafe Irie
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The best nachos ever.very warm and relaxing, the staff were really good and friendly, also lovely thick milkshakes.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

A local friend took us here on out first day in newquay. To my sons surprise they had lots of food he could eat, with a milk and egg allergy this is not normally the case. Best of all was a choice of vegan cupcakes. We returned three times during our stay in newquay. Nice friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere and style. Good prices too.

Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

I have no idea why I have never eaten here before, this place is so me I'm surprised I'm not running it! They are very relaxed, have an excellent menu cooked perfectly with the fattest beats an eatery can play. I left cafe irie completely satisfied. 250 out of 10!
Thanks guys and girls I love you x

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Adorable little cafe in Newquay. Comfy seating if you are lucky, toys for the little ones, lots of handmade trinkets for sale. Fab vibe, quite hippy/new age, but lovely cakes and drinks served in lovely style. Would go again definitely!
A bit small though and not much seating - wouldn't accommodate a pushchair or disabled very easily! Some seats outside if you are lucky - views over the sea, but by a road. Service a little slow, but goes with the relaxed laid-back vibe!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I'm really, really surprised that Cafe Irie isn't higher up the Newquay ratings, I've had a quick look through the list and I can relate to most of it, but even so there are the odd few establishments I noted either ranking far better or far worse than I would have expected. Irie is shockingly out of place at just 54th of 168. So I read every single review.

One of the negative reviews says it's like an old gypsy caravan. Yes. It is. A new age bus conversion rather than a roma vardo. It is creative and mismatched with a sense that a lot of the furniture was probably upcycled or rescued. However, suspend your first assumptions because dirty it is not. I really am the sort that sniffs cushions when no one is looking and swipes fingers for dust in the loos. It's fine. Someone mist be cleaning the many nooks and ledges pretty regularly, I don't worry about eating here. Another poor review says the sofa's and chairs are low. Yes, that is true. There are tables and chairs outside at the height you'd expect, but inside it's not typical, there are loads of cafe's, even within 100 yards, with loads of styles, if typical-ness is where it's at for you.

One other reviewer accuses Cafe Irie of serving frozen processed rubbish (Specifically Birds Eye fish fingers). I find it hard to believe this reviewer is for real. I did wonder if the cafe management had declined to reply for the same reason, or if it was because they couldn't remember a time when they knew what a Birds Eye fish finger looked like. Could be either. I'd be surprised if Cafe Irie even has a freezer beyond an ice box in the fridge. The food is fresh. Fresh doesn't feel a strong enough word, but without making up a whole new word it'll have to do. I like eggs, a lot, they're my thing. I reckon the eggs florentine I am falling into the habit of ordering at Cafe Irie are regularly served from this morning's lay, from free range hens fed on a varied diet (not just on a standard agricultural mix). They're vastly different, even to the best organic free-range eggs my employers produce.

Cafe Irie is about as far from the capitalist model of minimising expenditure and maximising profiteering as it is possible to get. I work for a business for whom our ethics are *Everything*, and I could only dream of the day we could come close to Irie's standard. We can't touch it. We never will. I wont name my employer, but we're massive in responsible food. It is exactly because we are massive we can't do what Cafe Irie do. I wish I ate like I do at Cafe Irie every day, for every meal, but honestly I'm too lazy to think of everything all the time. Cafe Irie aren't. They care more about my dinner even than I do. I love them for that.

I started eating in Cafe Irie with my little girl when we were doing a bit of shopping, just the two of us. She is 3, bright, chatty, outgoing & positive. We often call her Pixie, it suits her. She wanted to stop here so much, and as it happened it was time for food, so we did. She was so at home immediately. She had a plate of fruit... and it was a proper plate of fruit, with staples like banana and apple but also more interesting things like pineapple (fresh, cut from the fruit as we waited), kiwi and physalis. She got into a conversation with the guy cooking about what fruit was nicest like they had always been friends, I felt like a bystander, it was all so natural. She danced to the music and we read the kids books. Maybe it was because it was quiet (end of the day) but I loved her as much in that moment as I have ever in her life.

And that is what Cafe Irie is, the real cafe Irie, not the handful of low reviews. It is the embodiment of the things you would be, you want to be, if you weren't so overshadowed by capitalistic norms and values.