“Great Greek Experience”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stumbled on this restaurant on a trip to Newquay and were pleasantly surprised.
It is located on a main street in Newquay, and we were very wary when we poked our head through the door as we did not know what to expect as Newquay has a bit of a reputation for being loud and brash, espcially as it was a Friday night.
We need not have worried. The restaurant is small, cosy and there were mostly couples eating rather than large parties of boistrous revellers.
We were warmly welcomed by the manager and his staff.
It is like eating in a small greek taverna, except you are in the middle of Newquay.
Many traditional greek/cypriot dishes to choose from from a large and varied menu.
We chose Tzatziki, greek salad and a wonderful spicy sausage for starters. Not a huge portion but enough as we did.nt want to spoil the main course.
Lamb Kleftico and Beef Stifado were our main courses and these portions were huge.
What a great experience, lovely freshly cooked food, served by warm, helpful staff and finished off with a complimentary glass of ouzo.
We will return - no shadow of doubt.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We ate here having seen the reviews on Tripadvisor and driving past.
Definately recommend booking if you are a group of 4 or more, or if its getting busy in the area.
We decided on the Meze as it gave you a little bit of everything. It was a lovely evening, we were never rushed, didn't have to wait for courses and they were always on hand to get more drinks.
All in all this was the highlight of our little break away, nice change from the chain resturants that we have at home, and greek is not normally something that we would think to go and have to eat.
It was so good, we are looking to go to Greece next summer.
Will be recommending to family and friends.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Not many decent places to eat in Newquay! Tried Stavros this weekend, and it was authentic and tasty! Starters we had Stuffed Vine leaves, Callamari, Hommous, Halloumi & spicy sausage - all fantastic and served with Pitta Bread. Then we had chicken skewer/rice/salad, moussaka & salad, lamb shank (? Greek name!) which were amazing, meat so tender, salad tasty and all beautifully served! We then shared two Paclavas between us, which were yum! We were then treated to a complimentary Ouzo! My father in law thanked the chef at the end who was very happy to be appreciated!

Without a doubt will return! :0)

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We entered Stavros Greek almost by accident, looking for a place to eat, I was having a severe flare up of acid reflux and needed something with Yogurt and neutral foods in it. I immediately took a shine to the menu options as we walked past - I'd not tried Moussaka before and the starters sounded excellent (Tzatziki).

All the food was of excellent quality and the owner was on hand, ritualistically ordering the waiters about in a firm yet admirable way (one can imagine he is to be feared if one is an employee). The restaurant benefits from this micromanagement as courses were flawless, food was flawless (and outranked Michelin starred restaurants I have visited) and everything was seasoned to perfection. At the end I had to refuse a free shot of Ouzo (terrible with my stomach) and he seemed a little upset by this but he soon got over it.

The Moussaka was lightly seasoned with tender and melt-in-your-mouth meat, and the best aubergine I've tasted (I actually hated aubergine until this, but it tasted like a new experience - it was delicious and gave me new appreciation of the vegetable).

I hope this continues to produce some of the best food in the South West. Additionally the entrepreneurial spirit was admirable - This is how you manage a restaurant, IMO. And the value was excellent - at these prices he is giving it away - and I won't complain!

1  Thank jack_jonesLondon
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Having read such mixed reviews about the restaurant we didn't know what to expect. Really glad we took the risk, the service was great and the food was fab. We had the mezze, yeah it was a bit on the pricey side but we had the nicest meal out we've had in ages. The restaurant isn't huge so you're quite close to other diners but I feel that added to the great atmosphere. The meze plates weren't huge but more than enough over four courses with enough time to enjoy the company you're in and a glass of decent wine. We were given a free brandy/ouzo at the end of the meal then offered a second shot when they found out it was our anniversary. We really, really enjoyed our evening so paying a bit more was worth it in my book. Thanks Stavros!

1  Thank rangaGeorge85