First impressions of the site are a little disappointing. After driving all day you arrive at the pot hole ridden car park where it is not immediately clear where you are supposed to go to check in. At check in I had to re-enter all of the information I had already entered in the online check in so I don't know what the point of that is. I was then informed that they don't accept American Express for the security deposit (not seen any mention of this up until then) and they couldn't get my debit card to work either.
I think we were unlucky with our house allocation as some of the others in the same row had much nicer furniture and equipment as you could see through the patio doors. On entry there was a strong musty / dog smell, and a saggy sofa and chair with blankets chucked on top of them. There were marks and scuffs on all of the walls downstairs with the area around the bin being particularity dirty with what looked like tea stains running down the wall and large scuffed areas on both walls behind.
The welcome folder on the table contained multiple copies of the same "Resort Comment Sheet" and entertainment schedules, many were screwed up and some had tea rings, this could easily be organised a bit, you don't need 10 copies of the comment sheet surely? This could be improved with some practical information such as how to turn on the hot water (switch at the top of the stairs!) It also contained the final invoice of the person who stayed in the house immediately before us, with personal contact and payment information so I wouldn't advise leaving anything like this behind!
T.V. was tiny, again luck of the draw as the one next door looked reasonable. One of the lights in the living room ceiling wasn't working and the lamp had a broken / burnt shade and didn't work at all (apparently last PAT tested in 2005 according to the sticker).
The kitchen and upstairs were of a higher quality, the only thing I couldn't find in the kitchen was a bottle opener which was a little annoying and there was some paint on the roller blind at the top. Otherwise it was well equipped with everything you need with a decent sized fridge / freezer, pots and pans etc. + pack of dog biscuits in the cupboard.
We paid £15 each for a highchair (plastic fold up one) and cot which turned out to be the same travel cot I already have, which I had to put together before the kids could go to sleep (luckily I know how to do this as I have one). For that price I was expecting a real cot already in place as I could have bought a brand new travel cot from the nearby Sainsbury's for £20.
There were other maintenance issues with broken furniture / equipment (fridge shelf / towel holder / chest of draws) but upstairs was much nicer and cleaner than the downstairs.
The bedrooms were nicely furnished and comfortable. I'd recommend taking a stair gate for small children.
For the bath (shower) room the website states "With two bedrooms and one bathroom . . . Family shower room" which gives the impression of a bath or at least some facilities for a family but there it is just a shower room, nicely furnished but not very large, with no bath and no facilities for cleaning small children / babies so not suitable for a young family. We had to buy a washing up bowl to use as a makeshift bath for the week.
We did not use any of the onsite facilities so can't comment, but the parking is a free for all and we only managed to get a space near our house on a couple of occasions. There is potential for allocated spaced for each house. The location is good, a 15 minute drive to Newquay, 30mins to the Eden Project and 45 minutes to get to Land's End with an hour or so to get anywhere off the main roads.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Atlantic Reach is a leading family holiday resort set in 50 acres of countryside, close to Newquay in Cornwall and is open all year round. It is easily accessible from the A30, and allows easy access to all the beautiful sights of Cornwall including The Eden Project and some of Cornwall's top beaches. The South West Coast Path offers some spectacular walking along cliffs, headlands and beaches. Our facilities include swimming pools, large gym with regular activities for children and adults, Spa with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, golf course, indoor soft play centre, bar, restaurant, entertainment during school holidays and more. We have 2 bedroom and 4 bedroom holiday homes at Atlantic Reach and some are available with private Hot Tubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Atlantic Reach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantic Reach Hotel Newquay
- Atlantic Reach Newquay, Cornwall