“Exceptional Value”
Review of Marina Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Marina Hotel
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Value”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from a 4day break at the Marina Hotel with National Holidays. I had upgraded to a sea view and had requested a high floor.The room perfect on the second floor with a fabulous view of the Tolcarne Bay was exactly what I required. It was newly refurbished with a roomy bathroom and a large radiator.The beds were extremely comfortable. The food was very good and an excellent choice of menu was on offer.Service was very efficient considering the volume of diners and our waiter Sam offered excellent service.With an additional benefit of drinks in the evening again with endless choices and nightly entertainment I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.The whole team in the hotel work exceptionally to hard to ensure you have a pleasant say and they certainly achieve that.Well done will certainly be returning again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kath H
Jason H, General Manager at Marina Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, I will be sure to pass on your comments to Sam and the other members of staff.

I am really pleased you enjoyed the sea view room and I totally agree that the location overlooking Tolcarne Beach is truly lovely.

Hopefully we will see you return to the hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
lacashire
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We arrived on a wet and windy Friday evening after a long coach journey from Manchester. First impressions of the hotel were not too bad from the outside. Check in was seamless although there was a slight delay due to there only being one member of staff on reception. My room was on the second floor and no lift, this is something to bear in mind. As it was only a short break and I had a small bag, this was not a problem

The hotel would benefit from complete redecoration. It was very dated. You could also hear every noise from the corridor when in your room and vice versa! I was woken at 3am by some one coming in after a night out. They were not particularly loud but as I said, you could hear everything.

My room was large airy and warm. The facilities were excellent in my room except for the toilet. It was terrible for flushing! Just a shower- no bath. Plenty of tea and coffee and local information in the room. The bed looked lovely on arrival with the cushions etc.

The food was good, the service in the restaurant was excellent and the staff very helpful with regard to information about the local area. I can't comment on the entertainment as I was out each night but other passengers on the tour enjoyed it.

I would be happy to stay there again but for goodness sake, no lift. The majority of people on the coach were 60+! For the price paid - no complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank bedwatch
Thanks for your review, I am pleased that you think we represent value for money as I think the majority of our guests would agree.

We also have a continual process in place to redecorate the hotel and are looking at getting more rooms done in the early part of next year.

Once again thank you for your comments.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

After reading some of the recent reviews of visits to the Marina we were expecting to be disappointed. However following a trouble free journey from Yorkshire we were pleasantly surprised after checking in. The hotel is a bit tired, parts resemble the set of a 70's sit com with highly floral carpet and loud wallpaper BUT the staff couldn't be more helpful. The meals were excellent value for money and the place is clean. The evening entertainment was also very good overall and in particular the comedian we saw. I often wonder what the whingers really expect for the money they pay. I searched everywhere and couldn't find dead bugs, excessive fluff under the bed or a tide mark round the bath. If you want Ritz standards you should be prepared to pay Ritz prices. I would recommend the Marina to anyone wanting a few days away in Cornwall with decent food and a reasonable room.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the sea would be best, the rear rooms overlook the scruffy bits of adjoining prop...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Paul P
Jason H, General Manager at Marina Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your positive review I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff. Hopefully we will see you return to the hotel at some point in the future.
hull
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at room 59 for 3 nights with national holidays it was ok but the bathroom window didn't shut the shower wasn't powerful and the toilet doesnt flush and you to give it 2 or 3 goes before it does anything there was a heater in the bedroom witch I had to use as the window in the bedroom didn't shut and it stank when we put it on the beds are hard and the cover had a hole in it overall the rooms was disappointing little pits all over the only thing I can say was good about the room was the view as we payed extra for it and was with the extra money the menu wasn't up to much as I didn't like any of the starters so had to have juice the main where not for us and had to have the chef specials one night the next there wasn't much to offer got fed up with the poor menu the puddings where ok but no custard I got fed up with as soon as I had finished what ever we had eaten the woman was there asking what I wanted next it was like that even at breakfast I felt sick as I didn't get any time to let it settle before the next corse

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank gemma f
Thank you for your review, I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff at our next monthly meeting. We are re-investing money into the hotel and will be refurbishing some of the rooms in the earlier part of next year so hopefully if you return to visit us you will see the progress made.
Blackburn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We travelled with National Holidays to this hotel on the23rd of September for 4nights. Found the hotel clean and tidy stair carpets need replacing food good menu good choices management and stafff very friendly and helpful evening entertainment excellent first time on a coach trip found it tiring especially having to be up at 6 on the last morning good driver and great company will do it again

Room Tip: if you have any special requests ring the hotel direct
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank John F
Jason H, General Manager at Marina Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your holiday with us. With regards your comment on any special requirements I totally agree its always best if guests have prior concerns or requests to ring us or email us in order that we can help.

We look forward to your return here in Newquay.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We travelled with National Holidays which was a nice change not having to drive, good value for money on there deals. The hotel was ideally situated facing the beach, shops, restaurants, take away, every thing you need on the door step. The food was o.k., entertainment o.k., rooms clean, staff very friendly. On the down side it is in need of decoration, the stair carpets were thread bare in many places which is a trip hazard and there are mostly elderly guests staying here so this should be addressed sooner rather than later, as you do not want a nasty accident due to the carpets.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SUSAN J
Thank you for your lovely review, I am really pleased you enjoyed yourselves when you visited us here in Newquay. I agree that the hotel is in a great location being so close to all the local amenities and just over the road from the beach as well.

We do regularly monitor the condition of the carpets especially on the stairs and we will re look at this immediately to determine any action we would need to take.

I will pass on your compliments to our staff at our next meeting.
pudsey
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We travelled with National Holiday for 4 nights late September and were blessed with perfect weather. Our room 34 was on first floor with excellent views of the bay. The food was good for the price we paid with pleasant staff. We went on two full day trips but would have preferred if possible a half day as we did not get much chance to explore Newquay itself. The entertainment was good and we got vouchers for four drinks per evening. you could pay £1 extra for branded drinks, I like Southern Comfort which I thought was very good. Two days are spent travelling down so you just get 3 full days which is quite hectic if you go on all the trips, but you do have an option. All in all good value for money.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for seaview room well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gillian b
I am happy you enjoyed your holday I do believe we represent exceptional value and its always welcome to have guests confirm this.

Its a lovely part of the country to explore especially if the weather is nice, so maybe we will see you again for some further visits in the not too distant future.