“A little disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Odds the restaurant - CLOSED

Odds the restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Newquay, United Kingdom
“A little disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I took my girlfriend and her parents here for her 30th birthday. I booked a room for 8.00pm.
We arrived and had a drink before being showed to our table. Nice real ale but in bottles!!
When we got to our table, which did have the most fantastic view but unfortunately was next to a table of around ten other people of which two of then were very very drunk and noisy.
The waitress was short, dismissive and rude.
My food was good but my girlfriend and dads duck dish (can't remember what it was called) was not duck!! But was in fact the darker chicken meat. I did ask the owner about this and he did assure me that it was duck. Now three people had tasted the dish and all had said it was chicken. For the owner to dismiss my claims i thought was very very bad, without coming to check our dishes. I know what duck tastes like!!!!!!!!!!!
Throughout the night the drunken guests at the table next to us got loader and loader without a word being said by the waitress or owner.
All in all, i won't be going back there or recommending it to anyone.
Great views and situation and that's about as far as it goes. big let down.....

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank mhbsurf

Bath, United Kingdom
“Truly Scrumptious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

What can I say; from the outside it looks like a bus shelter, but once you get inside and walk downstairs the setting is beautiful. Having just come back from a long weekend in Newquay we booked a table at Odds after it was recommended by the hotel we were staying in. The view from the table was lovely, and we were lucky enough to catch the amazing view of the sunset. The menu options are limited but we still found it hard to choose. When the food arrived the portions looked small, but tasted gorgeous and filled you up more than expected. Such fresh ingredients cooked perfectly, no faults. When it came to the pudding and deciding if we could fit one in or not, I was so glad we did. I must say the best chocolate cheesecake I have ever tasted. Overall experience 10/10. We defiantly be going back next time we are in the area.

1 Thank Jenny R
Truro, United Kingdom
“Lovely views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great location with lovely views.
Food was good, a bit expensive for what we had but location makes up for that.
One waitress who served us was v good

• Visited July 2012
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Fantastic views , friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We went to odds on Friday evening as a family night out. Fantastic views, good service, great food. My only criticism would have been a slightly larger menu.

London, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Newquay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

After reading reviews I decided this would be the first restaurant to visit on our Cornwall trip.
You cant beat walking up to see just a hut and wondering where the restaurant is. We were seated right by the window and able to see across the hills and sea, shame the sunset wasnt performing that evening as it would have been spectacular. The food is reasonably priced (slightly on the high side for some things). I was slightly disappointed with the starters - they were very small for the price you pay - £8ish for 3 very tiny pieces of toast wasnt the best way to start. However, the mains absolutely made up for everything the starter lacked. Most of the menu is cooked in two ways. The food is all locally sourced and full of flavour. I ordered chicken with potato dauphinoise and my partner had duck with crushed truffle potatoes. The food is served with a side of veg (carrots, spinach and courgette) all absolutely beautiful. The dessert was phenomenal! Order the lemon tart its pure heaven. The pastry is sweet and crisp, the lemon is so smooth it melts in your mouth and perfectly accompanied by the homemade rasberry ice cream.The flavour was subtle but so creamy and worked perfectly with the tart lemon flavour. They even brought me a pistachio and mint brittle as I was enquiring about pistachio. They really made our first evening great. My only downside was the wait time which could have been slightly quicker but for such beautiful food it was worth the wait. My suggestion is avoid the starters and go for mains/desserts - you wont be disappointed.