“Needs the Hotel Inspector....”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Surfside Hotel

and 1 more site!
Surfside Hotel
Ranked #96 of 105 Newquay B&B and Inns
sowf-eest London
“Needs the Hotel Inspector....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

While it's probable that the couple that own this Hotel haven't got the resources to do everything that needs doing to it all at once I think their priorities show in where they have chosen to spend their money.

I stayed at this "Hotel" with my son at spring bank holiday a couple of years ago. We chose it largely due to it's location and we were given the topmost sea-view room to the front of the property, the one with the dormer window in the pictures . That room, which I would think must be one of their "flagship rooms", although the first floor rooms must be larger, was disappointing to say the least. As others have said the decor was tired and dated being woodchip and, I think, tired floral curtains, at least that's the flavour of it. The furniture, well, it certainly could have been from a second-hand shop. The plumbing was poor too - the shower was puny and the -en-suite crampt. There was a feeling of dampness - perhaps inevitable given the location, perhaps not.

Breakfast, I think we paid extra for this, though I may be wrong, anyway whether we did or not it was very basic being a choice of two or three cereals from family sized boxes. There may have been toast - I can't recall coffee but perhaps there was some. It felt like the breakfast you might be offered, if you were to ask, which we did have to, in a student house after a party you attended as a friend of a friend of a friend (i.e. the hosts don't know you but grudgingly accept you have some claim to be there). Breakfast is taken in a room to the back of the bar which is gloomy - what a missed opportunity.

I think the sheets and towels were clean enough but felt a little threadbare (the towels were underwhelming in particular).

Now, some positives. The owners, when about, were friendly enough and were quite helpful in getting us organised to do some body-boarding (we had lessons - actually on Towan Beach - which is a tip for beginners like us as that's probably the better place for beginners to be anyway). The bar did open in the evenings - although there were few customers - one or two locals and a "resident" (someone staying there while working in the area I think). The bar was staffed,after being opened by one of the owners, by a local youngster who spent most of the evening chatting with his girlfriend sat on a bar stool. That said he didn't have all that much to do. Perhaps at busier times the owners grace the bar with their presence (not that that kind of approach makes me feel comfortable anyway - but I think some of the positive reviewers like that kind of atmosphere).

They seem to have spent what money they had on the wooden decking outside and the bar area, which includes a largish flat-screen TV. Here is what I mean by their priorities. They are away from the town-centre and have very little, if any, passing trade, yet they have spent their first refurbishment and development money on a bar area and deck that is hardly used. I think they would have been better spending money on, perhaps, a wet room and changing area near the hotel reception area (better still accessed direct from the car-park) so that returning surfers and others would not have to traipse through the hotel and up the narrow stairs in their wetsuits etc. This might also make keeping the hotel clean and clean looking, easier and could also take pressure off of the hotel's bath and shower rooms which get used for washing, rinsing and hanging out surf gear. They can't complain about this after all they call themselves the Surfside! Above all, they should also have prioritised the rooms. If the room we stayed in is representative - and I imagine it is - surely this "premium" sea-view room would be among the first to get a refurb, then clearly the rooms need attention. The rooms should have got that attention before thought was given to building an underused decking area.

By way of contrast we stayed at another B&B (it didn't pretend that it was a Hotel) in Launceston on the journey down. It didn't have the location that the Surfside has, but was £50 rather than £90 for the night. Although it was not perfect ( a little too "ticking grandfather clock" for me) in all of the essentials (decor, service, maintenance, cleanliness, housekeeping, breakfast) it was streets ahead of this place.

I did broach these subjects, I think gently, with the Surfside's owners while I was there (I think they are first time Hoteliers), but, quickly got the sense that they were very defensive indeed.

i wish them luck, they will need it. I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Perhaps the first floor rooms are better?
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank androo235

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was firstly attracted to choose this hotel also for its position in front of fistral beach. I booked a small double room. I can understand what small means but in that room we had to decide how to move... There was no space at all!! The staff didn't change our towels not even set up the room.
Very poor breakfast. I consider it at a low standard. It cost too much for what they offered us. I hope the decide to improve it. Very disappointed...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BIBBI71

Travelers are raving about these Newquay hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We arrived to be told the extra bed we had booked for our daughter was not available, so we were provided with a very thin single mattress topper for her to sleep on the floor

The hotel entrance, stairways and doors were scuffed and filthy

Our room looked clean but on closer inspection we found was quite filthy, we opened the bathroom door to a very powerfull damp smell, it seemed as though it was coming from under the bathroom lino, I think perhaps there is mould growing underneath it, the bathroom light did not work, this was fixed only to stop working again, we had to leave the door open to be able to see

Breakfast was suppose to be 8:30am, it was'nt, the door was locked with no sign of anyone around, we were going out for the day so could'nt hang around, we were later told she was there with breakfast available at the time we went down, this was a lie.

We booked three nights and spent little time in the hotel and left a day early to check into another hotel

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank victoriamarief
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Great location right next to the beach and a short walk to center.

Friendly welcome on arrival plus friendly staff through out my stay.

Good room confortibal bed. Privae shower room and toilet it good condition. And tv

Good continental breakfast variety of cerial toast and tea/coffee

Acctivitys on site was great wen the English weather let us down. There is tv wifi pingpong pool table and a bar Wich also provides foods.

• Stayed July 2012
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Have just had a great few days at the hotel, Food good and plenty of it.
The hotel has stunning views over Fistral beach and the golf course
Staff are friendly and very accommodating,nothing is too much trouble.
The room was clean bright and tidy and the shower was a power shower.
A good base for seeing the sights of Cornwall.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

decided to take my family for a last min holiday to newquay and found surfside hotel. must say it was FANTASTIC, amazing veiws, really friendley staff,we had a family room whitch was perfect for us, the food was of good quality, fresh, the veiws are to die for. And best of all for me a fully stocked bar!!! we have stayed if a few hotels in newquay but none as good as this. we are planing a trip back in september and wecant wait.

Room Tip: try to get a sea view room you cant beat the view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Yes the location is very nice, however that is the only positive of this run-down, overpriced hotel. Very disappointed with room, basic mismatched furniture, small shower room with temperamental shower (hot? cold?) disgraceful breakfast, sold as continental??? cereal and toast!! The room and stairway smelled of something which I can't describe.
We have stayed at Hilton Hotels for the same price and the standards are just worlds apart. If you are thinking of staying in Newquay please look elesewhere, especially if you have children. I cannot rate this hotel at all.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family