“Disappointed”
Review of The Pentire Hotel

The Pentire Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had stayed at the Pentire before and found them really nice,so,when they offered us Christmas at a good price we jumped in.
They say you can take your dog but beware, on arrival, the first receptionist was extremely rude and unhelpful. Before we booked we had checked out and been told that as our dog was only 18 months old we could have our meals in the lounge so he could be with us, when I pointed this out the receptionist said that we would never have been told this,insinuating that I was lying she further told us that could not be done. At this point we were left cold in the doorway whilst we watched new people arriving, being given cups of tea we were not told when our room was available and were basically ignored. We were cold, tired and very disappointed. We ended up having to find the manager ourselves to sort things out we had waited that long all arrivals had been booked in, they had all gone to their rooms and we were the second couple to arrive and we were still sat there. My wife wanted to go home even though we had travelled 240 miles and we had no food at home for Christmas. Fortunately another receptionist helped us out with the dog and was kind enough to check he was ok when we went to the dining room. She was lovely and went the extra bit to help us.

On the first night we sat in the lounge as the dog could not go into the concert room, we were fine with this and enjoyed it, however the next night (Christmas eve) we could not go into the lounge because it was full of outsiders (not hotel guests) we ended up in our room for the night. It did not help that the television did not work- not the best way to spend Christmas Eve! We feel that we paid to entertain other people and we did not get the opportunity to enjoy our Christmas break.

On Christmas Day it was the same but we were able to sit in the bar which was quiet, however on Boxing Day we were kicked out of the bar and told the dog could not go in there because they served food, we were the only ones in there. When I told the girl behind the desk she simply told us we should have known it was out of bounds, again she was very off handed with us. Later that evening we saw another dog in the bar tied to a bar stool and no one said a word.

Before we left on our last day I asked for a reduction as we had not been satisfied with some of our treatment, although not speaking to the original girl she butted in and took over,telling me in no uncertain terms that I would get no refund, the girl I was speaking to looked really embarrassed , I ended up speaking to the assistant manager who apologised and reduced our bill.

When I went back into reception I was informed that we should have had a doggy welcome pack that explained everything -
At no time were we told where we could and couldn't go with our dog, we accept that we couldn't take him in the restaurant and the concert room but we were never told we couldn't take him in the bar, in fact other dogs had been in there.

Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, but one has let the hotel down badly unfortunately this was the one who we saw first and set the tone for our stay.

Our lovely Christmas break was ruined because of this one woman. Needless to say, we will never be going back and would strongly advise if you have informed them of any special requirements to get it in writing to make sure you get what you were promised and will save you any embarrassment at the desk. A customer service course would not go amiss at this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor was fine and had a sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tony P
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Pentire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

We are very sorry that you felt some confusion during particular periods of your stay with your dog. We warmly welcome all guests and well behaved dogs. Our policy is simply that pets are not permitted in areas of the hotel where food is being served. Our friendly team always try to be helpful and flexible. We do hope that our additional actions and discount acknowledged the importance we place on trying to please all of our guests.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

the pentire hotel sits to the west of newquay overloking crantock beach and fistral beach, a nice clean hotel with lots of friendly staff who are willing to help with all your holiday needs. I would definentlycome again

Room Tip: one lift services all three floors so if you are not fit ask for a room on the lower floors
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Karen B
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was our third stay here at this time of the year. It is a family run hotel and since last year the rooms have been refurbished. The menu is varied and plentiful. The waiters are efficient. The bar prices are same as in most hotels. The staff are friendly and helpful. There is a nice inside pool and Spa, as well as a Beauty Salon. There was entertainment each evening. The first night was very enjoyable but, unfortunately, the New Year's Eve act wasn't to our taste at all. It is in a great position being very close to Fistral Beach and not too far from the town if you like a lively nightlife. I would recommend the Pentire.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank LondonHoochy
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is the third time we have spent the new year in this hotel, for a three night break in four years and it has plenty to commend it.... It is family run and the staff are polite and helpful and it represents great value for money... We had a comfortable newly refurbished room with comfortable beds..... The star, is the food which is excellent with great choice, well cooked and plentiful which was served efficiently by the excellent waiting staff the, bar costs were no different to all other hotels and getting a drink was never a problem....... But a great part of the new year is entertainment which the hotel laid on over the three nights.... The first night was a singer who was superb and got most people up dancing I have to say he sounded as good if not better than the original artists, very enjoyable...New years eve however, was a very different matter the entertainer, was well past his sell by date and his act mostly consisted of playing a number of musical instruments, including the bagpipes, telling very feeble jokes, and terrible singing along to records contrasting with the night before not many people got up to dance its difficult to dance to the sailors hornpipe which was one of his turns it was I'm afraid to say woeful, but a few seemed to enjoy it,,,I'm sorry to knock this hotel at all because apart from this I would recommend it as great value for money but really must do better on New years Eve

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank power999
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My Family and me had the pleasure of staying in this Hotel. The location was easy to find, the Hotel was above average for Newquay. The Staff were 5 star, always smiling and always wiling to be of assistance. All in all, a wise choice for the Wedding Reception for my eldest son and his wife. It was just perfect. The only slight chritisism ws the amount of food for breakfast, I feel it should have been more substaintial.

The price for the rooms was a reasonable £35 per person per night. Very good for a Hotel as we often visit a B & B in my favourite city, lovely Wells, Somerset and it cost more than the Pentire Hotel.

If you plan a trip to Newquay, check out the Pentire. It is not the most attractive building from the outside but inside, it is very good. A wise choice we made in using this Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Atlanitic Ocean were excellent value for money. It is worth seeking a room wit...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a hotel that punches well above its 3 stars. We have visited before and it gets better and better on each visit. We spent 4 nights here from the 24th November. Our party found the staff, accommodation, food and facilities all to be excellent. We must have come across 10 staff during our stay and all appeared to be local (which is unusual these days) and were very approachable, open and friendly and could not do enough for you. For example, at meal times, a request for a change in the food offered or for extra coffee, toast etc was always met with a smile and prompt service. Breakfast is my favorite meal here and at home. Here you can help yourself to juice and cereals; I had porridge every day. And this is followed up with a full English, toast and fresh coffee. An example of the staff caring is that we came down one day to find the indoor pool was out of action. We were disappointed but not surprised as we could see the roof of the pool was inundated with water from the persistent rain. The staff were very apologetic and said they were doing all they could to get it working - when we got back to our rooms we received a phone call that the pool was now ready, which shows you just how much they care. We had 3 rooms, 1 single and 2 doubles and they were excellent, modern and kept clean and supplied with tea, coffee etc and fresh towels when needed. Even the busy cleaning staff were were friendly and welcoming. As for the food, the first night the hotel just happened to be serving a Christmas meal which was excellent and the crackers and mince pies was an unexpected treat. The meals had plenty of options for each course. Over 4 days I also had for as a main: roast beef, gammon steak, and a beef and ale pie. Unfortunately they also have desserts, which I do not normally go for, however with offers like sticky toffee pudding, well I joined in and all the desserts were delicious. Again the chap behind the bar was very friendly and explained the drinks and prices. I went for the Tribune pulled ale for under £3.50 which was very good. We also had Merlot for I think £12 a bottle which is very reasonable for a bar/restaurant. I did have one meal that I thought was poor but that was in Padstow: Rick Stein does a special, winter discounted, Cod and Chips, bread & butter and a half pint of Korev Cornish lager £7.95 (or tea for £1 less). The Cod was fresh but watery, I prefer mine drier and the chips were mostly small and crisper. As for the facilities, I've mentioned the swimming pool, oddly I was not so keen to use it as I remembered as being small but its plenty big enough to exercise in and the temperature is just right. The bar area is divided into 2, you could sit in the bar area that is very comfortable (or in a lounge away from the bar) and there is an 'entertainment' room which we did not visit as we tended to be up early and go out but saw people dancing and appearing to have a good time. The other guests we found to be very friendly and varied from a couple of surfer dudes, some couples, some families with young children to a coach party with more mature folk. We would definitely visit the Pentire again. Taking the price of the holiday, I just do not know how they managed to supply such a wonderful service. It rained almost non-stop but the hotel more than made up for the this. My only issue is that I weigh around 10stone but now appear to have put on a 1/2 pound.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank basilbane
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Pentire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

This is lovely feedback for us all to receive. Thank you. We will pass on your kind comments and hope to extend a warm welcome to you all again soon. Our best regards from everyone at the Pentire Hotel

Reviewed November 27, 2012

A refurbished hotel, Offers excellent food, service, and entertainment.
Good deals can be found here.
Mostly quiet as situated a road or two back from seafront.
Walk to Fistral beach about 5 - 10 mins, same to Gannel estuary.

Room Tip: Rooms at REAR of hotel have a seaview
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends