“Good location, nice hotel but quite 'stingy' on service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Sunnyside Newquay

Hotel Sunnyside Newquay
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Swindon
“Good location, nice hotel but quite 'stingy' on service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Sunnyside hotel is in a good location in Newquay with very good sea views. Without this major draw, I would probably give the hotel a 2 star.

You can tell that the staff try their hardest to accommodate your needs, however the major problem with the hotel is this 'concept', whereby you need to pay for everything you need - towels are £1, tea coffee making facilities £3, parking, £3 etc.The hotel claims this is to drive their prices down and be competitive, but what is the difference, perhaps a tenner if that? The hotel is ok if you are not out to impress your partner. We went as a young couple. The hotel is catered mainly for stag and hen parties, but it doesn't single couples or families out. The problem this is, is you are tarnished with the same brush, in the respect that you still need to pay a security deposit, and present your hotel pass every time you enter the Hotel. This didn't feel very welcoming for myself or my partner. There was an air of "we want to provide you with the bare minimum, and don't go trashing the place". We are a mature, very sensible intelligent couple for our age, who drink to our limits and we feel that this wasn't a nice factor about the hotel. There is being security conscious and there's being over cautious.

I will write a fair review here. The receptionist, Sally was friendly and very helpful. The bloke in the breakfast area, however was somewhat miserable. The breakfast was a decent size, tasty, despite the sausages being reheated and the toast cold, it wasn't bad overall.

I still believe that the pricing concept is what lets the hotel down. You enter your room and there are no tea or coffee making facilities or towels, making you feel slightly short changed. One electric socket was broken in the room. There were only 2 plug sockets available, right at an awkward area by the door. The double room was two single beds put together, and there was a minor blood mark on the bathroom door. The grout in the shower was dirty. There was also a smell of BO as you climbed the stairs. The fire alarm also went off twice whilst asleep without an apology.

Fair enough if this hotel wants to be competitive, but the whole 'concept' of a hotel is to provide a good customer service to your guests. I feel that you should still be provided with a good level of service to make up for these pitfalls. If the hotel improves its cleanliness and throws in just one towel for free, along with a small kettle and a handful of teas, the £59 will be very good value for money. It just needs some minor tweaks and the scrapping of the pricing concept. Just because Sunnyside is a budget hotel, doesn't mean you throw away all the basics.

I hope I have been fair here in detailing the good points and bad points about the place.

Overall, not a bad hotel if you want somewhere to crash if you're simply out to drink with your mates, or don't care about where you stay. However, think carefully if you are a couple.

If you aren't bothered about the appearance and want to bring your own brew kit, toiletries and towel, this place is for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank neilmrobinson
ssh57, Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hi Neil.

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're pleased to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us. Thank-you especially for highlighting Sally on reception. We are obviously disappointed, however, that you found our hotel concept less agreeable.

Being such an important part of how we operate, we do try to market our 'pay for what you need' concept in the clearest possible way. The information is highlighted throughout our website and within our booking emails.

The concept was actually introduced following guest feedback. Since its introduction, the concept has proved very popular on the whole, especially with groups. As noted, it is indeed a way for the hotel to control costs and maintain our low rates. Hotel Sunnyside is consistently one of the most affordable hotel options for groups in Newquay.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Sunnyside again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

such a good place to stay right near the beach and high street shops lots of things to do and see fantastic place,didnt eat there we found somewhere else staff are very friendly and accomadating very polite and cheerful always willing to help you and always said hi and goodbye coming and going.

Room Tip: be polite and ask if you don't ask you wont get.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Neil F
Hi Neil. Thank-you for your review and in particular your kind words regarding our staff. All the best, from all at Hotel Sunnyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

14 of my friends and I stayed for a hen weekend. The staff were superb, couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The hotel itself is ideal for hen and stag parties and is very security conscious which is reassuring for a group of girls. Breakfast was good and location is ideal. If I had one suggestion for improvement / recommendation for visitors it's that there were 4 girls in our room and only 2 plug sockets which was a challenge for phone charging / hair drying, straightening and curling! Other than that, can't fault anything. I felt genuinely valued as a customer which is so rare these days. I'm writing this on my way home and I'm sad to be leaving!

8 Thank KJarvis83
Thank-you very much Kat for your kind words. We're delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. We will look at the issue you experienced with the power points. I'm sure this is something we can resolve. We hope to see you again soon.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night while in Cornwall for business, and found:

- clean room, if quite small
- no towels, one provided if needed for £1 charge
- no toiletries, provided if needed at £3 charge
- was given a twin room despite having booked a double - the receptionist then sorted the issue by having housekeeping join the two small beds into a queen size
- paid £59 for a double room, booked on the same day
- breakfast was £5 and nothing special, small quantities
- I asked for coffee/porridge/scrambled eggs/cornflakes, which baffled the staff member as they have fairly set breakfatst menus and any requests that differs from the set menus seem to confuse them..??
- when provided with cornflakes, I asked the staff member for yoghurt and he told me that this would cost an extra £1 charge...this caused me to laugh in his face and tell him that I didn't mind paying, at which he must have felt quite ridiculous, so he let me have the yoghurt for free. I obviously have no issue with paying for what I ask for, but found it very comical that everything I asked for incurred an extra charge of some sort. At one point I realised I was short of a spoon, but decided not to ask for one in case they wanted to charge me £1 for it!!
- hostel was short staffed - only one staff member was present to serve breakfast and he was 5 mins late. Due to the number of people present, the one staff member couldn't cope, so the receptionist had to leave the front desk and help him deal with the guests waiting to be served breakfast
- if you stayed more than one night and wanted your room cleaned, you had to pay a £5 maid service charge??!! I've never heard of this before and found it comical frankly
- the general look/feel of the place is that fairly shabby, more in line with a hostel than a hotel. On the positive side, though, it was clean and neat
- price though is fairly high for the level of service provided, which is in line with that of a basic hostel
- the place was quiet, the bed comfortable, and I had a good night's sleep
- very good location, in the centre of Newquay and facing the sea

I wouldn't return here if I was travelling for business.
I probably would return if I was coming on holiday with friends and was prepared to be flexible about everything, although frankly with a bit of TripAdvisor surfing you can probably find better places at these prices, especially considering that £59 only covers the cost of the room and literally nothing else.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view room if they have any available - the room I stayed in faced the back of the hote...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ssh57, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
A full and comprehensive review, thank-you.

Firstly, we are grateful for acknowledging our high levels of cleanliness, great location, and for the fact that you enjoyed a good night’s sleep.

We must apologise for the error with respect of the room configuration. Our standard rooms can be prepared as a twin or as a double. In this instance, as a last minute booking (made on the afternoon of arrival), we failed to update our system and the room was left prepared as a twin room. To clarify, our standard rooms offer a zip and link bed. This is opposed to simply ‘two single beds being pushed together’. The correct room type was indeed allocated, however, we failed to act upon your noted bed preference in time for the arrival. I understand that this matter was resolved quickly, however, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
The issues raised with our breakfast service have been discussed with the member of staff involved. We are sorry that there was any element of dissatisfaction.

Please be aware, the breakfast voucher entitled our guests to a choice of 3 set breakfasts. We note this point on the voucher itself, plus in all guest rooms, and on our website. In this instance, I understand a combination of breakfast offerings and additional drinks were requested. Whilst not strictly within the voucher entitlement, Liam, on duty at the time, duly obliged. So he genuinely feels any negative comment on our part is perhaps a little unfair.

We feel obliged to respectfully dispute the comment regarding staffing. On this particular day, Sally, our duty receptionist, briefly assisted Liam with service to ensure all guests received their breakfast in good time. The reception service was unaffected as the duty manager was able to cover the front desk. Please also note that Liam was on time for his shift, arriving 32 minutes before breakfast service.

The rate for a single guest in a private en-suite single room at Hotel Sunnyside is consistently amongst the cheapest options in central Newquay. In this instance, a standard twin/double room was booked at a rate based on 2 people sharing.

The mention of ‘TripAdvisor surfing’ is particularly noteworthy, being something we always encourage when booking a stay with us. We would not claim to really meet the needs of business guests; we market ourselves more so as a group accommodation specialist. And in this respect, whilst all feedback is gratefully received, we do feel several points raised in this review are without due consideration of the style of hotel we operate. We have previously detailed on TripAdvisor the fact that we mention hostel-style accommodation on our website- it is not something we are embarrassed to be tagged as. We would gladly highlight this more, however, we are restricted in doing so as we do not have the catering facilities that seasoned travellers expect from a genuine hostel.

Our hotel concept is advertised throughout our TripAdvisor management responses. Whilst we are sorry that you did not perhaps find our concept totally agreeable to an overnight stay on business, we have found it to be very popular with groups and couples looking for a fun, affordable stay.

Certain aspects, namely the oversight with the room configuration, mentioned in this review are solely the fault of the hotel. Other aspects, including our policy of charging a small amount for toiletries are, I strongly feel, are fairly advertised and would certainly have picked up from a quick ‘TripAdvisor surf’ prior to booking. We understand that our hotel is not for everyone, but we are confident that what we do, we do well. We would love to welcome you back again for a stay with friends.

Thank-you again for the review.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Cannot say enough about the staff and location of this hotel, Sandy and Aimee were brilliant with my girls, but all of the staff were very nice and helpful, the location is stunning, ignore the poor reviews on other websites, it is great value and I will return on my next visit to Newquay, if you read all the info sent, you get exactly what you pay for, extra's are extra as stated and if you order a quad room it is 4 bunk-beds as stated, what you don't appreciate is the view, it is stunning, thanks to all for making our few days in Newquay very nice!

Room Tip: Read all the info
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Danny M
Hi Danny.

Thank-you for your review. It's fantastic to hear you enjoyed a great stay with us. Your kind words regarding Sandy and Aimee will be passed on!

Thank-you also for acknowledging our concept and extras. As highlighted in another recent guest review, this is an aspect that can sometimes be missed. We sincerely do try to ensure all guests are informed accordingly. We accept it is somewhat different, but on the whole, it has proved popular :-)

We hope to see you all again soon.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed as a couple in a sea view room with double bed. Took our own boards which were kept in the hotel board room...staff were so friendly and hotel modern and well kept! I have stayed in ALOT of budget hotels in Newquay over the last 6 years to surf 4 days at a time and sunnyside is by far the best for its location, staff, its buzzing, and everything to be honest so im taking a group of 12 back in October! Great value for money and considering its central location its quiet!also no problem parking nearby on the roads...AMAZING!

2 Thank helenburtongow
ssh57, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank-you Helen :-) It was great to see you again last week and we can't wait to perhaps see you again in 2014?
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the budget sleep 4 bunkbed rooms, £70 a night in August school holiday, great value, very nice and helpful staff all round, perfect location for the beach and the shops/bars/restaurants !!!, if and would stop here again I would book a larger room with the sea view. Well worth the extra money...! Great breakfast for £5 per head, the add-ons are good too. Just have what you need... Tea/coffee tray £3, towels £1each, parking £3per night, breakfast £5 each plus anything you may have forgot to pack ie hair dryer, iron, tooth brush and paste etc. good supply... The bar is nice and clean and not open all night either so nice and quiet for family's who want an early night. Pool tables, space invaders, punch bag machines and a football table to play on... In all a very nice clean and safe hotel with very welcoming staff... Be back soon thanks all

1 Thank Russellhickey
Many thanks for this excellent and concise review Russell :-) We couldn't have summed up the hotel better ourselves!